Re: Question about the rules

I've been reading over the F.A.Q and some of the things there have me very confused about what you can post here.

In the general section of rules

1. Quote:Hate speech and pedophilia of any kind are prohibited in all areas of the site, including within fictions that have mature tags.

Now I understand the pedophilia thing but not Hate speech. Hate speech here isn't defined so I don't know what you are referring to, as anything these days can be considered hate speech. Now if it's referring to like being racist or something I still have to ask why we can't put that in a mature tagged story. That just seems overly restrictive to me.

In the Fiction section
Quote:When should I add mature content tags to my story?

However, even with the warning, please make sure your novel DOES NOT
centralize or use mature content as a core element.

I don't understand what it means by "use mature content as a core element" does this mean that I can't have a war story with a lot of death or or a lot of Profanity?

Quote:Disturbing sexual content is not allowed. This includes written scenes or images that contain descriptions of pedophilia, bestiality, sexual intercourse between minors or anyone under the age of 18, etc.

This one may seem obvious to other but I'm genuinely confused here. Sexual content is allowed but not "disturbing" sexual content, by disturbing do you only mean pedophilias, bestiality, and minors, or do things like rape and prostitution count as disturbing. What do many mean by "etc?"

Lone Wrote: 1. Don't glorify hate-speech, pretty much. It can exist in your story, just do not make it seem like a good thing.

2. That means a story that centres around sex, not death/war.

3. Similar to one, these things cannot be very graphically described or glorified.

Thanks for clearing that up. One more quick question if you don't mind, I forgot to add it before. One of the rule says something along the lines of "no saying negative things about a religion" but what if your antagonist is religious zealot, is something like that not allowed?

Lord Fluffy Wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. One more quick question if you don't mind, I forgot to add it before. One of the rule says something along the lines of "no saying negative things about a religion" but what if your antagonist is religious zealot, is something like that not allowed?

Same as above, do not glorify hating religion or be blatantly discriminatory towards real religions in a manner that is factually incorrect.

Lord Fluffy Wrote: what if your antagonist is <chose whatever conflicted theme>, is something like that not allowed?

Your antagonist is not the narrator of the story - you are.
That is a distinction that can be used to solve almost all of your questions.

Describing what a character in your story does can be neutral, it can be glorifying that character or it can be condemning it.
you can describe what the villain is and what he does without glorifying it - give only descriptions that are neutral or that make clear the action is seen as something bad, but don't go into detailed descriptions or glorify whatever bad decision he does, and you should be on the safe side.

That is more difficult if the villain is the MC, but those stories are usually more difficult to write as well, so you should not go there until you have a better grasp of what you can and can't do. And ask the mods in a support ticket if you're unsure, because only that will get you a binding ruling of what you can and can't do here
(forum posters like me can only state opinions).

I did the same before I even started writing here - one thing was clarified and something else (a cover picture that was too much for them) got shot down.
But it saved everyone the trouble of having the moderator action only after publication.

Andar Wrote:
Lord Fluffy Wrote: what if your antagonist is <chose whatever conflicted theme>, is something like that not allowed?

Describing what a character in your story does can be neutral, it can be glorifying that character or it can be condemning it.
you can describe what the villain is and what he does without glorifying it - give only descriptions that are neutral or that make clear the action is seen as something bad, but don't go into detailed descriptions or glorify whatever bad decision he does, and you should be on the safe side.

Truthfully, I find this a bit overly restrictive. I just don't like the idea of being told how to write a character in my story. That said, it's not like I plain to start glorifying every evil act I can think of, and if I ever do write a villain MC I can always just post that to another site.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I don't think I'll need to worry about accidentally breaking a rule with how they are laid out.