Re: Is posting a straight-up romance story on Royal Road a waste of time?

Quote:Hmm... I'm either planning on doing two chapters a week, or four chapters a week, for this first romance novel; because of the way it's formatted it has to be done in pairs of two (2/3, 4/5, 6/7, and so on), and I kind of want it to last a while in serialization, at least on my personal site. But I know Royal Road is a bit antsier when it comes to serial stories and readers like a faster flow. So maybe I'll wait to post it on here until after much of the story has already posted to my personal site (and Wattpad), and then do daily updates for all 60-something chapters?

Also, 1-3 chapter backlogs terrify me. I try to keep at least 15 lol

You can do that or redirect RR readers to your other site to increase traffic and release chapters a little behind on RR.  I talked to Pirateaba about that before and she told me that it's most definitely worth having your own website if you can get enough readers.

Hehe, it's a good practice to keep a backlog of chapters.  I learned about this the hard way when I was first getting into the web serial style.  You know, it took Harry Potter Book 7 about 2 years to be released and it had roughly 200k words.  Web serials that release 5k words a week comes up to 260k a year or 520k every 2 years; a much higher release count than mainstream series tend to have.  ^_^7

Wrote: You can do that or redirect RR readers to your other site to increase traffic and release chapters a little behind on RR.  I talked to Pirateaba about that before and she told me that it's most definitely worth having your own website if you can get enough readers.

Hehe, it's a good practice to keep a backlog of chapters.  I learned about this the hard way when I was first getting into the web serial style.  You know, it took Harry Potter Book 7 about 2 years to be released and it had roughly 200k words.  Web serials that release 5k words a week comes up to 260k a year or 520k every 2 years; a much higher release count than mainstream series tend to have.  ^_^7

...Harry Potter 7 was only 200,000 words long? Damn, large font sizes for kids' books really does make the difference. Also, outside of romance novels, ATL is probably gonna hit 200,000 words before the end of the year and that scares me. How do we as web fiction people write so many words

My story is a fantasy romance with harem element and people seem to like it. In one month I managed to reach rank 210 so there is a following for this sort of thing. I will say that it appears there is a larger audience for other types of stories. I say this because while my rank it relatively good my actual number of followers is very low compared to other types of stories. Some stories that have been on the site half as long as mine has have four or five times as many followers, but I have the better rank. 

I will say that my readers seem to like deep emotional scenes. If you capture the emotions of that romance well you will certainly have a following here. I deeply focus on the romance and relationships and people love it.

If your interested search for "Dragon Knight Prophecy" It feels cheesy to post a link to my own story here.

omnixius Wrote: My story is a fantasy romance with harem element and people seem to like it. In one month I managed to reach rank 210 so there is a following for this sort of thing. I will say that it appears there is a larger audience for other types of stories. I say this because while my rank it relatively good my actual number of followers is very low compared to other types of stories. Some stories that have been on the site half as long as mine has have four or five times as many followers, but I have the better rank. 

I will say that my readers seem to like deep emotional scenes. If you capture the emotions of that romance well you will certainly have a following here. I deeply focus on the romance and relationships and people love it.

If your interested search for "Dragon Knight Prophecy" It feels cheesy to post a link to my own story here.

Hey, people even stayed with A Tail's Misfortune after going through deep philosophical and psychological chapters and seemed to enjoy them a lot.  You'll always get haters though.  =)

omnixius Wrote: My story is a fantasy romance with harem element and people seem to like it. In one month I managed to reach rank 210 so there is a following for this sort of thing. I will say that it appears there is a larger audience for other types of stories. I say this because while my rank it relatively good my actual number of followers is very low compared to other types of stories. Some stories that have been on the site half as long as mine has have four or five times as many followers, but I have the better rank. 

Gosh, your story is a straight-up romantic drama and it's actually gotten hugely popular? That gives me hope, though I will never come anywhere near matching 1000+ pages in one month haha