Review Swapping Offer (Full)

Hi, I'm looking for possible review swap for my web novel ATL: Stories from the Retrofuture, whose first story The Social Media Killer will be finishing up very soon, I believe by the end of the week. I already have one beta read and one review swap in my queue, so I won't start until next week, but I want to see if there is anyone who wants to review swap! This story will be roughly 200, 230 pages by the end, so anything around that would be perfect, though shorter or longer are fine.

All the review swaps I've agreed to (in multiple threads), in order:

1. Inexorable Chaos 
2. Deviant's Masquerade   (Thanks for the review!)
3. Adventures of the Goldthirst Company (Thanks for the review!)
4. Twisted Branches
5. Ashes of Eternity  (Thanks for the review!)
6. Exalted Warlock (Thanks for the review!)
7. To the Land of Nyx (Thanks for the review!)
8. Superhero Crafter
9. Song of Hellheim (Thanks for the review!)
(full)

Re: Review Swapping Offer (Starting in one week)

I've read the first few chapters of your story, and am willing to do a swap once the week is up (I'm guessing that's when Royal Road will be caught up to your main site.)

On a similar note, my story Deviant Masquerade is a series of slowly interconnecting episodic stories all taking place in an superhero / urban-fantasy world. Currently the story sits around 320 royal road pages, with each episode averaging out around 80 - 90 pages. If the whole thing is too long, you can ignore the current episode, (since I'm still in the middle of that one.) But just counting what's currently 'done', the story should be around 260 pages.

(PS: I fully admit the musical number was probably a bad idea.)

Arthicern Wrote: I've read the first few chapters of your story, and am willing to do a swap once the week is up (I'm guessing that's when Royal Road will be caught up to your main site.)

On a similar note, my story Deviant Masquerade is a series of slowly interconnecting episodic stories all taking place in an superhero / urban-fantasy world. Currently the story sits around 320 royal road pages, with each episode averaging out around 80 - 90 pages. If the whole thing is too long, you can ignore the current episode, (since I'm still in the middle of that one.) But just counting what's currently 'done', the story should be around 260 pages.

(PS: I fully admit the musical number was probably a bad idea.)

You definitely sold me with that pitch on doing a review swap. However I was a bit off-- July 12th EST will be when The Social Media Killer ends on RRL. But that doesn't affect much except for binge readers, which I most certainly am not, myself lol

But yeah, I can do that review swap next week, as soon as I finish my current readthrough, and I will finish ASAP.

Also open to anyone else who is willing to review swap!

jpuntuned Wrote: Hey dude, I'd love to do a swap as well. Mine is around the same length, might be 300+ by next week though.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/25407/twisted-branches-rewrite

Thedude will thepledge to read through your right after I finish my current reads, then Deviant Masquerade.

Also, when I do readthroughs for review purposes, I like to go through the first five chapters and leave detailed comments on my feelings/opinions on the chapter, and on how the story seems to be developing, since I think the first 5 chapters of a web serial are the most important-- they're the equivalent of the "three episode rule" for a TV show. Then I'll leave various snarky and/or useless comments afterwords when I feel like it. If you DON'T want me to do the detailed comments, tell me ahead of time lol

Arthicern Wrote: (snip)

Hey, thanks for the review already! I really appreciated your thoughts on The Social Media Killer as it ended up becoming, especially since your review is by far the most critical I've ever received lol. I've never thought of the story as a "YA Cyberpunk" before, as I've always kind of considered it to be kind of Cyberpunk without the punk, or "Cybernormal" as I like to call it, a world where the aesthetics and technologies of a cyberpunk story are placed into a "real world" non-dystopian, non-counterculture slice of society. But, I guess The Social Media Killer, being a bit more serious than some of the other ATL stories, does give it a bit more of a "YA Cyberpunk" feel. It's a good angle to think about that I hadn't considered! The seventh ATL story, which starts on the main site in September, is definitely gonna give off a similar feel, now that I think about it.

Also, I'm glad you like Karina. Karina needs more love; she has a tough life. Sad

Anyway, I'm set to get onto your read as soon as I can; my last classes for this school term are on Friday, and then the next month of work is me sitting at a computer waiting for summer break to be over. I'll have a LOT of reading time to get through both of y'all's stories (and anyone else who wants to do a review swap).

My story is more fantasy fare, but if you'd like to give it a review, it would be appreciated!

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/24853/adventures-of-the-goldthirst-company

Started reading yours - have you ever read the webcomic Questionable Content?  It's reading like something that's the darkside of that, where the singularity is gearing up and some nasty things are going on, rather than rom-com ish shenanigans.

Mejiro Wrote: My story is more fantasy fare, but if you'd like to give it a review, it would be appreciated!

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/24853/adventures-of-the-goldthirst-company

Started reading yours - have you ever read the webcomic Questionable Content?  It's reading like something that's the darkside of that, where the singularity is gearing up and some nasty things are going on, rather than rom-com ish shenanigans.

Ah, looking interesting. I'll go through it when I'm able!

And I have read Questionable Content, but only briefly, around 2011. I didn't like the indie music side of it as much so it never became a favorite, though I did think it was pretty nice. I'm now starting to realize that it may have subconciously influenced ATL with its sci-fi silly robots; the fourth ATL story (already on the site but coming to Royal Road in like... September, I think?) is definitely cute in the same way.

EDIT: I'm gonna cap this at 7 review swaps, because I doubt I'll be able to finish more than that before the end of August, and I've been really meaning to get to my friend's stories Stasis and Inheritors in the near future, especially the former which is said to be ending in Octoberish. So 7's as high as I'll go!

QC's moved onto to basically slice-of-life as the instrumentality happens somewhere off screen, with generally low-key social drama going on - one of the current plot arcs is about a robot that lost their original body, got a new one and keeps finding it a bit weird and creepy, because it's not *hers*.  Still tends to circle back to the social shenanigans every so often, although it's a bit more sensible, mid/late-twenties social drama, rather than high-strung early-twenties social drama!

I'm about halfway through reading it, once it's down, is it standard to send you the review first?  (not done a review swap before, just want to be sure of the etiquette!)

Mejiro Wrote: QC's moved onto to basically slice-of-life as the instrumentality happens somewhere off screen, with generally low-key social drama going on - one of the current plot arcs is about a robot that lost their original body, got a new one and keeps finding it a bit weird and creepy, because it's not *hers*.  Still tends to circle back to the social shenanigans every so often, although it's a bit more sensible, mid/late-twenties social drama, rather than high-strung early-twenties social drama!

I'm about halfway through reading it, once it's down, is it standard to send you the review first?  (not done a review swap before, just want to be sure of the etiquette!)

Slice-of-life elements in plot-heavy stories is good. Robots are good. These things are quite promising.

And I dunno the etiquitte, nobody's ever sent me a review in advance before but on Web Fiction Guide I did a swap with a Discord pal who warned me before he wrote a review for my novella Rainbow Destructor, "You really want me to write this? It's gonna be a low score." I would have been fine with a surprise 2-star review though lol

abdirahman Wrote: My story is a fantasy wizarding story 
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26138/exalted-warlock

Aight, accepted, though you'll probably end up reading a while before I do because of how slowly I've been progressing through all of these stories. I will get this stuff done! I promise! The delay might be a good thing for you since your story has not too much content so far.

Here's the current lineup:

1. Inexorable Chaos (The story was bad enough that I didn't even review it on RR for fear of retaliatory reviews, so whoops that was some pointless hours spent) 
2. Deviant's Masquerade (in progress, will finish by Sunday barring real-life dumbness)
3. Adventures of the Goldthirst Company (moved up since the author completed the ATL review already)
4. Twisted Branches (@jpuntuned sorry for the delay!)
5. Ashes of Eternity 
6. Exalted Warlock 
7. (open)

So... one more review swap, and then I will end this for the forseeable future.

Zachary Dugas Wrote: Well if slot 8 is still open then I am game, it might take me a week or so to finish reading yours but I’ll get started on it today.

Link to my novel :
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/22548/song-of-helheim-homecoming

OK, the above poster did just take slot 8, but, being dumb, I will put you in an extra slot 9 and now I will say that this is full. Won't open up again until I've finished most of the remaining seven stories.

Thedude3445 Wrote:
wtaylorjr2001 Wrote: My goal is to improve the story so I'm okay with that. I want to make my story a cut above the rest. I want better character development but I want to make it slow. I think it holds attention, people seem to be invested in the characters, but again I want to improve.

Alright then if you review ATL, I'll review and give comments to your story.

Thank you and on it.