Re: why is romance in every novel even those that are suppose to be purely action novels? (those bastards lied to me)

whats with this love stuff nowadays why cant we have a normal story of battle and fighting in a blaze of glory. why does it always have to have some romance anyways. why can't we just focus on the story .im not against romance but im starting to get physically sick of all this romance. like in every action story theirs always this big romance to waste time about either theirs a harem or something else about the best girl. wtf man.

Re: why is romance in every novel even those that are suppose to be purely action novels? (those bastards lied to me)

Wrote: whats with this love stuff nowadays why cant we have a normal story of battle and fighting in a blaze of glory. why does it always have to have some romance anyways. why can't we just focus on the story .im not against romance but im starting to get physically sick of all this romance. like in every action story theirs always this big romance to waste time about either theirs a harem or something else about the best girl. wtf man.

I agree. When the romance stuff is overdone it can be really annoying. But then again, if a book has more than five characters it only makes sense that some of them have romantic interests. Not that the book should suddenly focus all its attention on them but they do play a part in developing relatable characters. 

What do you mean? Everything needs romance. Everything. Action? Add romance. Adventure? Of course! Horror? Specially. Romance? Definitely!

Romance just drags in all the readers. Male, female, young, old; all kinds of readers. You will get dedicated shippers (many are all about shipping now) and you can tease them. Men can live out their sexual fantasies and you can snare them. You can do lover's dramas and everyone would be hooked to see it through. Will they or will not they? That question piqued people's interest like no other.

There is just so many advantages with adding romance in any kind of stories you make, so why should you not? Why miss all these great stuff?

I mean look at James Bond. It wouldn't have been that successful without the Bond Girls. Sexy woman for James Bond to bed is a necessity or it won't be a James Bond movie at all.

Even thing like Lego Batman, romance is required. How can it be not? How to Train Your Dragon? Yes. It (Horror)? Of course.

Romance adds a lot of great stuff to your story without changing its nature. And did you know that the best selling genre is Romance? Tells you about the power or romance.

There is just all this advantages with little to no disadvantage to adding romance elements to stories. So why not?

(I am kinda sarcastic here but what I said has a grain of truth)

Interpersonal drama and relationships influence the decisions of people and rarely are there any characters so completely divorced from social structures that conflicts or conflation of interest never crops up. Character interaction and emotion is a way to drive a story forward, whether for the requirements of an overarching plot or by accumulation (as is the case with most never-ending web serials, gotta-harem-them-alls etc).
In action and adventure settings you get an excellent motivating force with romance, as evidenced by the thousand+ year old tradition of the knightly tale, slaying questing beasts and rescuing princesses and all of that sort of thing.
If you dislike human relations you might like stories with inhuman protagonists, but even then it's a common plot thread to inject some romance; as the green-skinned alien babe said to Captain Kirk, "What is this human thing called love?"

On top of what everyone has said already, you have to understand that a lot of actions in life are direct responses to romantic desire, even at a subconscious level. The amount of times my buddies at work bring up hot women they're interested in is staggering, and the things the single dudes I know do to engage with women is equally ridiculous. Romance is not only a huge part of life, it's an important one, especially in action stories. Even John Wick is a story that in part is a response to a largely offscreen romance. 

But, on the flip side of this, romances in action stories can not only be subpar, but as you said get in the way of what matters in the story. A romantic subplot should be a subplot, and if it's poorly written it can get in the way of the overall experience. I think writers should challenge themselves with their romantic plots more instead of rewriting the same tired romance over and over.

I disagree that writers should warn someone about romance though. That's kind of silly.

You seem to be under the impression that romance is either all or nothing, which just isn't the case. Characters are three-dimensional and more than just their stat-sheets. If that entails a bit of a romance, that's fine. I don't have an issue with romance in action stories as long as it's in good taste and isn't some masturbatory harem for the author's sake. I need to be able to feel the attraction that the characters share, meaning it can't be ham-fisted in with two characters with opposing views or interests.

Romance can be a go-to for writers who are trying to widen their appeal by including an obligatory romance between the protagonist and a second less important person. Often this second less important character is female and many writers believe a female won't read a work if there isn't a female role and the most common role for females in many action adventure stories is as a sexual partner to the main protagonist. It is more difficult to write female characters whose focus is not on romance or does not include romance without creating female characters that are basically male characters dressed to look female. What happens if you have male and female characters all sleeping together and no one is having sex? How do the relationships grow and what do non-romantically based relationships really look like?

The question is, should you go to a romance in your novel? What happens if you don't?

Because romance naturally will happen, and characters will eventually fall in love...or at least lust.

A character who doesn't love, or doesn't lust, isn't human.

As such I could see an MC who is absent of the normal realm of human emotions, but at the same time that type of character becomes harder to connect with as a reader.

Wrote: whats with this love stuff nowadays why cant we have a normal story of battle and fighting in a blaze of glory. why does it always have to have some romance anyways. why can't we just focus on the story .im not against romance but im starting to get physically sick of all this romance. like in every action story theirs always this big romance to waste time about either theirs a harem or something else about the best girl. wtf man.

'Nowadays'? Oh, you sweet summer child.

I like writing and reading about full-blooded characters that fruck and fight and live.