Re: Help with Synopsis - Ars Alogia

Hello! i’ve recently started with a new story called Ars Alogia and I’m having a little trouble making up a good synopsis for the story. The premis is that the main character is an enchanter who appraises the various magical items adventurers pick up from every who-knows-where and having to deal with the question of Will this Sword steal my soul if I use it? Is this music box cursed? How do we remove this cursed bracelet Bob’s wrist? My idea for it is that it's like those sitcom Disney stories where there’s a new magical spell or thing that causes problems every episode and hijinks ensue. I’m thinkign along the lines of every time adventurers in a story get some weird golden statue in some cryot and it ends up being cursed, and then who would be the guy who handles those kinda of things professionally, so that Adventurer people might actually get a chance to use the epic demonic sword they found in a crypt without the hassle of epgetting cursed. He also makes the enchantments sometimes I guess.

My current draft for a synopsis is thus:

In this profession, facing demons, curses, mind alteration, warping reality and whimsical labours is normal. Maico is still training underneath his master, but already he prepares protective wards, plans contingencies against the inevitable, and has already fallen to the mercy of devils once. There is no telling what threats come with each day, and whether his preparations will be enough is up to luck.

He appraises items.

That sounds funny :D  You could do an episode where two curses cause trouble but it turns out they cancel each other out to make a great combination at the end.

As for a synopsis, I'd also try to make that funny. Is Maico like the equivalent of a boy scout, always trying to be prepared but not always quite managing it?  Has he become comically suspicious of every new item, or is he still optimistic?  What about the master, does he have a contrasting funny personality?  And who is cursing these items anyway, are they pervs or practical jokers or megalomaniacs or what?  Since they are kind of like supervillains in the background of the story.  Think about who your favorite funny villains are. :)

sunandshadow Wrote: That sounds funny :D  You could do an episode where two curses cause trouble but it turns out they cancel each other out to make a great combination at the end.

As for a synopsis, I'd also try to make that funny. Is Maico like the equivalent of a boy scout, always trying to be prepared but not always quite managing it?  Has he become comically suspicious of every new item, or is he still optimistic?  What about the master, does he have a contrasting funny personality?  And who is cursing these items anyway, are they pervs or practical jokers or megalomaniacs or what?  Since they are kind of like supervillains in the background of the story.  Think about who your favorite funny villains are. :)

To be honest the entire premise is still WIP, and I make it up as I go, so it’s not actually as impactful with the drama thus far since I’m posting without much editing. Maico is actually closer to the boyscout over prepared while still being basically optimistic, he will spout out warnings omens and complain like a miser though. Originally I’m actually imagining him as a little arrogant in being the person who deal with “all this serious business” while also being a little idiotic in his opinions. His master is planned to be comically stern and perfectionistic. As for the curses they mostly come from age and ancient civilizations and mostly become harmful because of wild spirits, degradation, and mutation over time, but a wacky villain making bad items is amusing enough to add.

Okay. I may have to clarify what the terms you are using means.

Premise is essentially about the core elements of the story, especially the vital elements: the protagonist, the antagonist, the plot, the setting. It is usually made of one or two sentences that lays out all the vital parts of the story.

Synopsis is essentially a summary of your story. It usually is a couple to a dozen or so pages long. Usually required by publishers when you submit your story to them.

What you say is the premise is not a premise and what you say is a synopsis is not a synopsis.

What you say is the premise is actually a Concept. Concept is essentially the core idea of your story. As a concept it is great, after all, it is still an idea. What is required is that the idea has enough potential to create a story out of and your idea has enough potential.

What you said is your synopsis is actually a Blurb. It is just a short description designed to capture the interest of your readers. It is mainly for promotion essentially. As a blurb, it works. It is eye catching and really makes me want to read your story.

Also, you have some ideas for your characters and the setting. Great start!

Good luck with your project! Wishing you great success.

Let's give this a try-

In [ Insert world's name ], terror is around every corner. Maico is a young apprentice, trained in spell craft and arcane.

Having fallen to demons once before, he works to improve his knowledge with fervor and spite, to get vengeance against their vile actions.

Others manage to wear the tide against their enemies, emerging victorious with their spoils.

Trophies of their deeds are powerful objects, filled with the purest mana, yet tainted with the filth and corruption by their origins. No ordinary adventurer manages to tame these devices of power and dark, but Macio can.

Why?

He's an Appraiser.

---
Format to how your story really goes.

what kind of synopsis to write depends on the story. some would work better with a revelation of the general outline, for some only some hints are enough and revealing too much instead spoil the fun.

I myself have some trouble with a synopsis of my story because i think it's the latter kind, but to me, your story sounds like it falls in the former category.

you need to tell something about the protagonist, his teacher and the nature of their work to give the readers a clear idea of what they are about to read. in this case, instead of a monotonous synopsis, a better idea would be a monologue from the protagonist as he complains about his teacher and the troubles he has to face during work. it would also show some aspect of his personality while spicing it up just enough to get the reader interested, it would also tell them what to expect.

e.g. you could start with, "it's not easy...............................something something...................................nonsensical talk............................it's not easy I tell you." said Marcus, apprentice of the great.........., owner of shops name, while pouring over his beer mug on a corner of the Blackbear tavern.
his friend Circus patted his back as he said, "you've had it rough."