Re: How can I write more?

Most stories I read online have chapters that exceed 1000 words, but whenever I try to write, every word past 500 becomes exponentially more difficult. I find that if I try and make chapters longer the quality goes down, additionally I start writing and a go off on a tangent which disrupts the flow of my story. Do you have any advice or tips for me, on how I can make longer paragraphs, and make my stories flow better?

Re: How can I right more?

This is something that will improve with practice. When I first started writing, I wrote shorter chapters than I do now, mostly because I wanted the satisfaction of being "done" with something. As you write more (and read more) you'll naturally have more to say.

I'd consider allowing yourself to go off on those tangents though, then judge the quality later. Even if the end up cutting the content in a later draft, at least you let your imagination run wild. Not only will this give you more writing practice, you might also get some good world-building, characterization, descriptions, or dialog you can re-repurpose for later scenes. If you're serious about improving your writing, it's very unlikely you'll look back and see that as a waste of time.

Re: How can I right more?

Wrote: This is something that will improve with practice. When I first started writing, I wrote shorter chapters than I do now, mostly because I wanted the satisfaction of being "done" with something. As you write more (and read more) you'll naturally have more to say.

I'd consider allowing yourself to go off on those tangents though, then judge the quality later. Even if the end up cutting the content in a later draft, at least you let your imagination run wild. Not only will this give you more writing practice, you might also get some good world-building, characterization, descriptions, or dialog you can re-repurpose for later scenes. If you're serious about improving your writing, it's very unlikely you'll look back and see that as a waste of time.

Yes, the best thing to do is to just keep writing and let the story come out. Do not focus so much on the length but on whether the story you want to tell is the one being laid down on the page. Final touches and edits can be saved for later, when the important part is done.