Re: Is it just me, or is the forum very dead?

javert Wrote: It's not just you. The discord is way more active.

In my experience, this is why forums die. People would rather get an instant reaction than wait a few hours for well thought out responses. This typically leads to good points getting buried and less than useful communication. I've been part of two communities that straight up died because we all abandoned the forums for chat rooms which devolved into nothing but memes.

It depends on what your baseline for 'busy' is - it definitely seems fairly slow, but my other main forum is rpg.net, which gets posts most minutes, and may be an outlier.  I suspect that, these days, most online chat has migrated to facebook, discord etc. rather than forums, so tends to be more 'chat' and less long-standing discussion which can easily be referenced in future.

Mejiro Wrote: It depends on what your baseline for 'busy' is - it definitely seems fairly slow, but my other main forum is rpg.net, which gets posts most minutes, and may be an outlier.  I suspect that, these days, most online chat has migrated to facebook, discord etc. rather than forums, so tends to be more 'chat' and less long-standing discussion which can easily be referenced in future.

Yeah, that seems about right I guess. I'm used to seeing ongoing discussions to join in

batotit Wrote: It is not dead. you have like 3-4 response to your leading question already.

Yeah I see that now. Lol.
Though I guess it's more to do with what the topic is? 

Quote:This is starting to sound like the whole "Starcraft 2 is dead" meme. At some point, it's no longer funny. Thousands of people still play the games, we still get regular balance patches, pros still participate in GSL, WCS, IEM and various tournaments, but still people are beating the dead horse for some reason and insisting that the game is dead. Probably people jealous of its success or gamers resentful that they aren't good at their game and assuming everyone rage-quit it like they did when they couldn't get a good ranking in ladder. 

Similarly, people still post here daily. Maybe not all threads get replies, but there are at least five new posts everyday. Look at Recomendations, for example. General also seems pretty active. Just like above, the forum only seems "dead" if you're resentful about people not replying to your thread or post, but that doesn't mean other people don't continue to post, reply or create new threads here. 

You know, I wish people would actually look up and comprehend the definition of "dead" before throwing it out. After some point of time, it becomes exhausting and annoying to hear something being described as dead when it clearly is far from keeling over.

Yes. I can see that RR has activity. That's why there's updates. Have I been spamming messages about this being dead? Am I insulting or otherwise going on and on about how the forums are dead? No? I literally only have one thread, why would I be resentful about people replying/not replying to my threads? 

Quote:Tomoyuki0 Wrote:

Quote:batotit Wrote:It is not dead. you have like 3-4 response to your leading question already.

I highly suspect it's a clickbait title just to provoke those responses. This image comes to mind. 

[img]https://tenor.com/view/attention-gif-5958886[/img] 

The guy (or girl) literally posted 5 replies to 5 different threads before creating his/her own. Was he/she expecting instant replies to his/her posts or something?

No, I was on the forums and looked around, replied to the ones where I felt like I had something to say, and then realized that there were not a whole lot of recent comments for all the threads. Of course not all should have recent comments, but y'know it's just what I felt? I dunno why you have to call it clickbait. Or what, do you expect me to intentionally space out my replies when I post? In the first place, this is general, and I never meant it in a negative way. Literally was just wondering. 

Not particularly. It has never been accused of being fast But the RR forums are very much alive. I regularly go through them and chat, help and say my two cents. 

Oh, yes, they don't really compare to other sites in speed, but the mods keep them very clean and there are lots of useful and must-read sticky threads. Review Swaps is one of the more critical sub-forums, but I Forgot the Title and Assistance Request are up there for me too. I don't mind they're slow pace, and genuinely enjoy them. 

So, no, they ain't dead, chum. Not while I'm still around. Don't mind the others up there, being salty to the new guy. Look around, reply to a few threads, get some help if that's what ya need. Discord is for chat, yes, but the forums are here to help users and authors, and the expense of other users and authors.