Re: My Guide On How To Gain Traction On RoyalRoad And How To Potentially Turn Your Writing Into A Career

Lone Wrote:
Kagan Wrote: Would you mind if I asked a few questions pertaining to the thread topic?

Not at all, go ahead.

Do you know what time is best to publish new chapters? If a lot of the readership is in the US (for example, I don't know?) and you publish a chapter at a time that happens to be in the middle of the night, does that significantly impact how many people see it?

Re: My Guide On How To Gain Traction On RoyalRoad And How To Potentially Turn Your Writing Into A Career

Not sure if it's ok to add my observations here, let me know if I shouldn't

I'm in Europe and I switched my posting time around a bit as experiment. Early afternoon (2pm) is a no-go, that's early morning in the USA east coast and night still west coast. The number of views I got was less than half of what I got with a chapter release around 6pm. 9pm (3pm east coast) went better, but nowadays I try to have the chapters go out between 10:30 and 11:30 pm. It's still at a time where many Europeans can get to it and it makes the chapter available for midday reading USA. 

It's my experience that people are willing to scroll back quite a bit on the 'recent updates' list, as I got new follows as much as 4 or 5 hours later. The recently updated list is very much for people looking for new stories and they'll skip right past novels with 100-odd chapters to find your chapter 3.

I asked my readers to hold off on reviews and ratings until I got a decent number of chapters in as I felt it would be a better reflection of the story that way. This also had the result of catapulting me up the trending list when I did ask people to let me know the scores they'd give me.

There are a lot of people who will not read anything with under a certain number of pages. They want to have a good sample to read and are waiting to see if an author will continue writing past the opening chapters. Don't get discouraged if your novel doesn't get off the ground right away, these things need time unless you have a really amazing story and let's be honest, that is rarely the case. 

Most of the zero to hero success stories are authors who have a book or two done already and not something you or I will achieve on our first try. Keep in mind that even if it shows '1' in the author's number of fictions, there is nothing stopping them from writing under a different pseudonym for different novels.

Urikson Wrote: I've seen several people here mention that you can't get into trending without a cover picture. Are there any specific requirements for this cover picture or will any art do?

I'm pretty sure you just need a cover image that has been approved. A catchy cover would probably help you stay in trending longer though, as it would drive more traffic and hopefully more ratings.

@Zogarth

They’re referring to the paid for advertisement notifications and such that are sold to the occasional author on this site with the implication that such advertisements are a major requisite for popularity equal to writing quality, on top of the implication that writing ability stems from some kind of innate talent instead of practiced skill and the occasional inspiration.

Endless Wrote: @Zogarth

They’re referring to the paid for advertisement notifications and such that are sold to the occasional author on this site with the implication that such advertisements are a major requisite for popularity equal to writing quality, on top of the implication that writing ability stems from some kind of innate talent instead of practiced skill and the occasional inspiration.

Well... like with everything you need practice to be good at anything. And the only money I ever spend on the side was to get premium and the only thing that gives me is more stats.

Adelmarus
Zogarth Wrote:
Adelmarus Wrote: 1. have talent.

2. have money.

3. seriously have talent.

Not sure why it would require money to get traction...

Quote:To get a premium. When someone see's that pheonix frame, everything you write is good.

Either you are I are missing a joke somewhere here.