Re: My Guide On How To Gain Traction On RoyalRoad And How To Potentially Turn Your Writing Into A Career

flriley Wrote: My rank and trending seem to be heavily affected by reviews.  Any time I get a review both go up dramatically.  Do you know why this seems to be weighed so much more than followers?

Followers do not affect any ranking lists whatsoever, only reviews and ratings do. Popular This Week is the only exception which needs views to rank highly.

As for why it's like that, it's because reviews are a better show of genuine interest in a novel since it takes a bit of effort to review a fiction. As a side note, a review is worth more than a rating, and an advanced review is worth more than a normal review, that's all as far as the rankings go.

Re: My Guide On How To Gain Traction On RoyalRoad And How To Potentially Turn Your Writing Into A Career

Thanks for this thread! Total noob here who just posted his first few chapters. It's a pretty traditional sword-and-sorcery fantasy in some ways, and even skews a bit literary, so I have no clue if it will find an audience here. (I just recently found out what a LitRPG is, lol) But this kind of advice is hugely, HUGELY appreciated!

Overworldtlomk Wrote: Thanks for this thread! Total noob here who just posted his first few chapters. It's a pretty traditional sword-and-sorcery fantasy in some ways, and even skews a bit literary, so I have no clue if it will find an audience here. (I just recently found out what a LitRPG is, lol) But this kind of advice is hugely, HUGELY appreciated!

I'm happy to have helped you. c:

Thanks for the guide. It's nice to see how some of the more obscure features work.

I'm pretty new too and just started posting my first fiction. Currently, I'm posting a new chapter every five days, but I'm considering doing your method of stockpiling and then doing two a day for a bit while I continue to release regularly on my own website.

My question is: do you have a reccomended number of days that one should rapid-release? I know the answer is probably the longer the better or until you get onto and leave Trending, but do you have any guesses as to how long that might take on average?

Thanks again for the help!

hueyhare Wrote: Thanks for the guide. It's nice to see how some of the more obscure features work.

I'm pretty new too and just started posting my first fiction. Currently, I'm posting a new chapter every five days, but I'm considering doing your method of stockpiling and then doing two a day for a bit while I continue to release regularly on my own website.

My question is: do you have a reccomended number of days that one should rapid-release? I know the answer is probably the longer the better or until you get onto and leave Trending, but do you have any guesses as to how long that might take on average?

Thanks again for the help!

I say that you want to spam release for roughly 2 months minimum for the best possible outcome.

Cloudcityguardian Wrote: What time (with time zone) do you think is best to put out a chapter? Midnight (when I usually get done) in my country would be midday in the USA where I think most rr readers are from.

Also 1200 USD is basically a month's pay for a doctor with 3 to 4 years experience here.

Around 6-8PM PST. Just the peak time for America, really.

Eeeeeeh. This will be a problem for me. My chapters are in a light novel format, so the chapters are very long, split into a multitude of parts. My first chapter is 20000+ with 11 or 12 parts which can range from 200 words to 3000, if I remember correctly. So this would make 'spamming' chapters quite the challenge. I haven't checked so I don't know ith the table of contents showed words, if so then I won't be hurt as bad, though, with or without the total words showing, sowm thing you can scroll up and down certain gives the better impression.

Any suggestions? 

Kamikoto Wrote: Eeeeeeh. This will be a problem for me. My chapters are in a light novel format, so the chapters are very long, split into a multitude of parts. My first chapter is 20000+ with 11 or 12 parts which can range from 200 words to 3000, if I remember correctly. So this would make 'spamming' chapters quite the challenge. I haven't checked so I don't know ith the table of contents showed words, if so then I won't be hurt as bad, though, with or without the total words showing, sowm thing you can scroll up and down certain gives the better impression.

Any suggestions?

Split your chapters to be between 2,000-4,000 words long. Only the very best of authors can get popular on Royal Road with very long and infrequently posted chapters.

Overlord_Venus Wrote: Though I don't think even trending will help my book since it is not RRL material. It hasn't gained much traction even with the spam chapter method T_T

There is definitely something to be said for the general trend of genre preference on Royal Road. I just got onto the trending list, but I've hardly noticed any tangible increase in readership (maybe it's too soon to tell, but I've been told a few times that science fiction is not an oft-read genre on this site).

The guide itself is great, but I think the title is somewhat misleading. It's a good writeup about Royal Road's lists, but people could follow these instructions word for word, have an excellent story, and they could find little success. Not only is the genre you write a large factor, but there are those of us whose novels are only 30 chapters long and we're crap-outta-luck once we finish posting our whole story.

The only reason I was able to get on the trending list was because I did tons of review swaps on the forums, and asked readers from my own site to review the story on Royal Road as well. Of the 25 ratings my story has right now, I would estimate only 6-7 of them are unsolicited ratings (half of which were 0.5 ratings) from readers who found the story "naturally" via this site.

Wow! This was a very enlightening read. I'd like nothing more than to make a living writing stories, but I know that much of it is a game of chance or right place, right time. Still, reading this was very motivating. I'm still so new at this that I have no hope of hitting it big right now but I'll make sure to come to this thread whenever I need inspiration in the future!