Re: I'M OUT. THANKS A LOT ROYAL ROAD! ...NOT!

So this just happened. I even posted on my profile page that I was going to upload my story on 2 more websites: Wattpad and Scribble Hub as well. But nope. Royal Road rejected my publish request on my already finished sci fi story "Earth's United Front". 

First of all I hope the community here doesn't treat you like me and that you have a better more comfortable experience than mine.

Second, I despise the community here for doing something like that. I'm literally the only guy with the same name in all 3 websites that says he's going to upload the story. Like even if that's a big deal as it is! I'm no JK Rowing or whatever! And from what I can see Royal Road doesn't even want to give help to new authors. Amateur authors, really. Like I'm someone special, anyway!

Finally, you can do whatever you want with this post. 99.99% you're going to delete it without even seeing the rest and for people not to see it as well, in fear that you will get raged upon. Which, in all honesty, I think that that's exactly what the people here need to do to you imbeciles. I'd even curse you if I wasn't a good person (or at least trying to be, anyway). 

You, the community, by no means require a civilised manor of speaking by me or by anyone. In my opinion, you deserve the cruellest, most unpleasant and informal way of speaking so you can understand the underdogs that you really are! You've messed with the wrong person. And you just don't know it yet!

I'm done! Goodbye! May you perish in your own stupidity!

My story was rejected on my original request because I failed to follow the guidelines for submission correctly. Is it possible you failed to do so as well? 

I am also somewhat confused by what you mean when you say that Royal Road does not want to help new authors? I have posted on quite a few other websites, and Royal Road honestly has one of the more enjoyable UI, easy to use/understand ranking system, and a dedicated place on the front page for newly updated works. 

I'm afraid I simply don't understand what your actual issue is. 

Hi Mack,

We at Royal Road take Plagiarism seriously and we try our best to stop it, at the very least we make sure the stories on our platform are not plagiarised. There is a high rate of people that attempt to publish series they have no rights to. We take pride in making sure that that doesn't happen here, that the authors themselves, or the copyright holders are the ones that are publishing their story and interacting with the readers. 

While our policy has sadly steered you away, it is not something we are willing to change. We have already stated in the rejection letter the reason and the explanation, the members that responded previously have explained their experience as well.
So I hope no one else reading this forum post misunderstands the situation. Because we go out of our way to help upcoming authors as much as we can. The admin team is extremely interactive with the community itself. 

That is all. 

DevilPogoStick Wrote: ...Seeing how Chinese websites of dubious nature once copy/pasted my old scripts with an occasional messy translation, I'm surprised that Royal Road actually wants to be sure it's your actual content and I find that rather annoying but pleasant.

...As weird as that sounds.

We try our best, and if something does slip by we got the readers that often quickly notice and notify us :)

Tomolone Wrote:
DevilPogoStick Wrote: ...Seeing how Chinese websites of dubious nature once copy/pasted my old scripts with an occasional messy translation, I'm surprised that Royal Road actually wants to be sure it's your actual content and I find that rather annoying but pleasant.

...As weird as that sounds.

We try our best, and if something does slip by we got the readers that often quickly notice and notify us :)

Thank you. I also am glad to finally post a story to this site after getting past the rejection snag. Just gotta read and follow directions

I had this happen to me. I posted my story on wordpress first and then mirrored on RoyalRoad. All I had to do was prove I was the actual writer. I just took a screen shot of my Wordpress account dashboard.  Fixed with no problem at all. I have the exact same user name on everything that matter when it comes to writing.

So instead of getting pissed off, just deal with it. People have claimed other's writer's work by and use their username on other places who turn a blind eye to plagiarism. I rather a site take the extra step like RoyalRoad than havei to fight a site to remove a story with a DMCA.

I'm new here and I completely agree with the requirement to verify that you are the author of your posted work. It's actually simple to do (add a description on your mirror sites and then delete them once approved) and a great idea. I've only been here a few days and I haven't had any problems with the mods/admins or the community. It's completely unnecessary to post a thread about having your story rejected because you didn't quite understand or read the rules. Maybe next time go and meditate or punch into a pillow and clear your mind before whining on the forums. You sound immature.

This post was sheer stupidity. Someone flipping out just because something they wanted to put up was rejected for very real, concernable reasons? That's bullshit and you know it. RR has ALWAYS taken popularization seriously, and people stealing others works had happened and been dealt with?

You think you deserve the free pass the rest of us DON'T get because why? You wrote something? So did 20, 000 other authors on this platform, and they went through the same screening process you did. You're not special. The only thing you come off as is a whiny little 10 year old who throws temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way, right away. Instead of opening a support ticket and taking 10 minutes to calmly discuss it with the mods, you decided to scream, rant and rage on the forums. That's nothing but childish. 

In my opinion, and experience, and yes, i've had several run-ins with them, the RR mods are fair and impartial in their dealings with people on this site. You THINK it wouldn't be easy for someone to just make an account with the username and picture of an author and just upload their works, then patreonize them for money? You lack something, then. 

And the community. What, exactly, has 'the community' done to you, oh special mr. frankz? Nothing. But you want to take it out on people for not agreeing with you? 

My advice? Grow up. 

I'm absolutely crying over that last line. What POSSIBLE POSITION could someone that has to publish to Wattpad hold that would make ANYONE on this site sorry? Like, what, seriously? Does this guy run the TSA and now he's going to have the CIA put everyone into Guantanamo Bay? Order tactical missile strikes to destroy the servers? Have a lawyer sue? That last line "You've messed with the wrong person" just has me bloody curious. What role in society does someone have that gives them the power to say "You will RUE THE DAY!" and yet they're posting to rather small online communities because, ostensibly, they're unable to just get a completed work published.

I'm not being down on this site or any others, but I think if I could seriously and honestly tell a website full of people, "You messed with the wrong guy" like some kind of threat, I'd have the pull to get even trash published in a physical format. 

Well, since the damage is already done, there's no point in piling on. I'll instead take the time and point out that we authors are essentially brands. The one aspect of writing that is perhaps even more important than your grammar, plot or regular updates is to maintain your brands at all times. Your brand can be funny, humble, insightful, helpful, just average joe/jane, relatable, friendly, just plain nice but you never want it to be toxic.

It's hard to swallow the anger at times. Yeah, things don't often work out for us writers. Despite bringing the content, we're at the bottom of the totem pole while also being the face and impact shield of the product. It's hard work with decades of training that just barely pays the bills when you've become a literature rockstar. That can be extremely frustrating. I feel you, really.

Alas, you never, ever want that frustration to be associated with your writing identity. At every step of the totem pole, people look at your brand and consider whether you're worth it. Some authors are completely inoffensive - that's the absolute baseline. Someone that is helpful can be put to work in workshops, maybe sell some online courses or maintain interesting blogs. For your business partners, these things translate into money and money becomes a reason to engage with you.
Maybe your persona is really funny and relatable? Great! You can be put to work at conventions entertaining people with anecdotes from your writing career, you'll be great in advertising your stories too. Clickbait title: Learn these simple tricks if you want a writing job! ;D

The other side of the coin is much more brutal and unforgiving. An established author that damaged their brand often struggles to maintain their job. A faux pas can take years to undo. An amateur author with no contacts doesn't get that chance. Whatever you do, however you need to vent your anger, never let your brand be associated with: Wishing harm on others, public threats or attacking a business partner (which as funny as it sounds, RoyalRoad and similar sites are to us).
Publishers, agents and advertisement agencies all know how to google. A public meltdown now can stall your career forever (or until you pick up a pen-name and essentially start over). Don't do this.