Re: Harems: Are they even worth your time?

You are right, most of them suck. Harems had ruined many perfectly good novels. Especially the chinese and korean ones. I lose my mind whenever one of this pops up in a series I really enjoyed.
To be honest, i dislike romance in stories. They are usually badly written. But I will avoid this topic.
Any stories with a harem tag put me off. The characters seem fake and stupid every time they are involved in it. The members of a harem often lose parts of them once put in it. Some seem so out of character that I wanted to puke. 
Obviously, if the author had put time and effort into creating a good harem, I will praise it. But there are just too few to speak of.
TL;DR. Don't write harems unless you are very good at writing romance.

Re: Harems: Are they even worth your time?

I usually avoid the harems that evolves from female slaves. For example when a person gets transported to another world and has trust issues so he gets a female slave because he can’t trust anybody with the secrets he possess about the unquie way he fights with his unique body and blah blah blah. But later in the story or sooner (depends on the author) he starts making love with the slave and then he adds more to the harem because he wants to or it just so happens that he’s saving them from slavers and he can’t get rid of the slave collar so he adds them to his collection. But the new slaves are different races like humanoid fox, dragon, orc etc you name it  and he brings them into his slave harem, which by the way is disgusting. But yeah I avoid slave harems like they are the plague