Re: In a Classic Harem Is a Male MC

ARCHETYPAL characters are more like "fundamental" characters. The base traits for fictional characters across all stories in the world, throughout history. E.g. the hero, the villain, the shapeshifting trickster character, the corrupt ruler. The word here is the "stock character", the generic, first-thing-that-comes-to-mind stereotype. The ditzy cheerleader, the flamboyant gay hairdresser, the tsundere twintails girl, the big boob glasses girl, etc. So if you're looking for a stock harem protagonist, that would be in the direction of, edgy loner on the face who actually cares deeply about his friends, very protective but extremely passive towards everything sex/romance, and secretly a pervert. His sexuality isn't necessarily determined by how awful and generic he is.

Because of the way that culture has changed so rapidly in the past twenty years, the harem genre of anime (which is, of course, only about thirty years old itself) hasn't had time to "catch up" and feature anything but one dude and a bunch of chicks, or rarely one chick and a bunch of dudes. Heck, even American media has yet to really include bisexual characters in a large way, other than the "sexy girl who swings both ways" stock character in comedies (and spy thrillers).

A pansexual harem protagonist is definitely something NEW, but you can make a "classic" harem protagonist who is pansexual, as long as he is also a bunch of weightless stereotypes as well.

Well, if the harem consist of the following, you can consider the MC is pansexual.

- Beastkin - They are animals... no?
- Undead 
- Cyborg

----

On a more serious note: Harem are usually attached to [wish-fulfillment] novels... it's best to keep yaoi outside. Male-male relationships are mostly seen as huge turn-offs for readers of this genre.

Then again, [Cuteness is Justice]. Remember to dress them up as cute. Then, regardless if it is homosexuality, beasitily, necrophilia, mechanophilia or even objectophilia... all will be acceptable if the target is cute.

Wrote: Just a question. 

Why not write, say a harem story with a FEMALE MC and male members? 

Why would that be a bad idea? I'd like some in-depth answers to this question.

I already did that, five husbands, fresh lover, true matriarchy. It was fun to write, did not think it was a bad idea, lots of funny stuff inverting sexism.  I am doing a male one this time.  

What I'm about to say is from my own experience and what I tend to notice as with both manga/LNs and western novels, so take it with a grain of salt.

The idea behind a Fem MC with a Male harem isn't new and can be done just as good (or bad) as its counterpart, but it's also very niche within the already niche genre. Most readers who enjoy the harem genre are male (at least to my understanding) and the readers tend to look for something they would want to read about (Guy getting loads of hot girls), thus the market reflects that by having more Male MCs with Female harems while the opposite is more of a rarity.

It basically devolves into what the different authors enjoy reading/writing about. Male authors are more prone to write their characters with a harem in mind while female writers tend to write their characters with a more direct romantic partner in mind while having both male and female friends/allies on the sidelines (a few of these friends/allies could be written as being flirty towards the MC but in most cases the love interest is an obvious shoe-in.) Another good example would be to look at the same genre of romance novels and how they are written differently by male and female writers. You can even go further by finding authors of the opposite gender who write stories with female characters as the main point of view. I believe there's even a few articles/studies that have talked on this subject before, but I'm not sure what exactly such articles would cover exactly.

Reverse-harem is totally a thing.  However, it tends to be portrayed a bit differently, due to different cultural standards for men and women - a standard 'male' harem tends to be a dude with a pack of quasi-kinda-sorta girlfriends, of varying degrees of 'official' (so, there might be some actual girlfriends, a few wanting to get closer, and so on, and the issues of jealousy or actual logistics and emotional awkwardness are largely brushed aside).  A dude with lots of girlfriends is, very broadly, seen as 'manly'.  The general cultural view of a woman with lots of boyfriends is rather less positive.  Reverse-harems thus tend to have different setups - so instead of basically being 1 girl with lots of boyfriends, there might be more of a bond of duty or care, e.g. 'the princess and her protective knights (who are all hot dudes)'.  This gives an excuse for a woman being emotionally intimate with lots of dudes, who are around all the time, without invoking general negative stereotypes.  

I am writing a harem story and the MC is male. However, I started with just one woman and I started to tease my readers that the harem would actually be hers not his. This caused a little bit of anger and got me some strongly worded private messages.  Many people wrote to me to tell me that Harem stories should be one man and multiple women. They were very against the idea of a bisexual male protagonist and didn't want say two men shareing three women. It had to be ONE man.

My story is one man, but it was an eye-opener to see how strongly people felt about it. I have been scared away from any other format. I am sure there are audiences for other fomats but you may want to consider telling your readers upfront how that format is organized. As I said I wrote mine so the reader wasn't sure for a few chapters and it generated a LOT of conversation.

omnixius Wrote: I am writing a harem story and the MC is male. However, I started with just one woman and I started to tease my readers that the harem would actually be hers not his. This caused a little bit of anger and got me some strongly worded private messages.  Many people wrote to me to tell me that Harem stories should be one man and multiple women. They were very against the idea of a bisexual male protagonist and didn't want say two men shareing three women. It had to be ONE man.

My story is one man, but it was an eye-opener to see how strongly people felt about it. I have been scared away from any other format. I am sure there are audiences for other fomats but you may want to consider telling your readers upfront how that format is organized. As I said I wrote mine so the reader wasn't sure for a few chapters and it generated a LOT of conversation.

Was the story good before you got these personal messages? Did you rethink your story because there were plot holes, or just complaints?

People are going to complain no matter what you write. In my opinion, it's better to write the story and see where it goes, than worry about what other people think. Not everybody is going to like your story. That's just the nature of the thing. I don't like harem stories so I skip them. I also don't complain about them to the writer. He doesn't need to hear my opinion on it.
CES