Re: Chapter casual-mark-up swap

I have an idea for collaboration of sorts. Take one chapter. Instead of editing it so **** much that I lose track of what it is (a hazy mush in my mind), here's the thought: write once, edit once, post. Then offer to mark up someone else's chapter in exchange for my own. I'd much rather mark up your chapter than mine.

I know it's what writing groups are for. But I don't fit in one, since I'm not consistent enough for that. It could be two months between chapters for me, or I might write six in a week.

There are big assumptions here. It won't work in all cases. I still think it'd be great.

So here's the conditions:
 - we have to like each other's fiction at least a little bit
 - by mark up I mean things like: "paragraph too long", "repetition", "who said that?", "not funny :/". Level of detail will vary. If you've got four paragraphs in a row of exposition... I'll highlight that whole chunk and note "exposition"
 - in the spirit of "if you don't have anything nice to say, say mean things politely" (hey, I'm a pessimist)
 - no time set, and I won't be mad if you don't follow through
 - not an equal exchange
 - needless to say its suggestions

Format:
 - link the story page
 - which chapter?
 - known problems?
 - word count?

Process:
 - I'll read your synopsis, and respond with yay or nay here *
 - If yay, I'll pm you the marked up doc when I get the chance
 - you do the same when it suits you

* If I'm not keen to note up your story, that doesn't mean someone else isn't.

So. What've ya got to lose? Time, sanity, your sense of accomplishment...

I think this is more valuable than general feedback or a review swap, particularly for new stories and people that aren't able to commit to a regular writing group.

So here's mine:
 - fiction page For King and Kin: A Fox's Journey
 - google doc, for the mark-up
 - chapter 1
 - problems? It's shorter than I'd like, even after nicking a scene from chapter two and adding emotion and more description which had been sorely lacking.
 - word count: 1012

In case you find it helpful, here's a short list of questions I use to improve my chapters.

Are you a native speaker? 

I am always interested in a proofread & notes from male teen readers on making it more appealing to male teen readers. Do you have a google-doc version of the document? In-line comments are easier to handle on it (or wattpad, lol).

Anyway, if you could proofread, I am interested in swapping in-lines for my Lead and Steel (not interested in Crimson Qi swap). My first chapter is 1K words, and I aim every chapter to be about the same, and not go over 1.5K. 

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/24875/of-lead-and-steel

Yes, I'm Australian. 27 and I read quite a bit of younger fiction. I've done a writing 101 before, which taught me less than watching a dozen of Brandon Sanderson's videos (or maybe I forgot). This is the first time I've tried to write a novel. For what its worth, succinct readability is something I've drilled in to myself as a long-time coder.

Also, I don't intend this to be primarily about grammar or spelling - I'll note those as I see them. Its more writing quality, reactions. How you're hitting the spot, or not. Hopefully. I likely don't have perfect grammar anyway. That and I write in australian english (except when I lapse) so it wouldn't be terribly helpful for someone to point those out to me unless they were familiar with it.

You'll give in to me soon, fool. First your tongue. Then your mind. You shall bow. -- American English Overlord.

I thought of whether it'd be better to post links to mark ups here in case anyone else wants to tack on, but I think I'd be cleaner and more useful with people noting up things separately. Assuming others would be keen to do the same. 

So, sending pm :)

Link to ch 1 of mine.

LittleSettler Wrote: Yes, I'm Australian. 27 and I read quite a bit of younger fiction. I've done a writing 101 before, which taught me less than watching a dozen of Brandon Sanderson's videos (or maybe I forgot). This is the first time I've tried to write a novel. For what its worth, succinct readability is something I've drilled in to myself as a long-time coder.

Also, I don't intend this to be primarily about grammar or spelling - I'll note those as I see them. Its more writing quality, reactions. How you're hitting the spot, or not. Hopefully. I likely don't have perfect grammar anyway. That and I write in australian english (except when I lapse) so it wouldn't be terribly helpful for someone to point those out to me unless they were familiar with it.

You'll give in to me soon, fool. First your tongue. Then your mind. You shall bow. -- American English Overlord.

I thought of whether it'd be better to post links to mark ups here in case anyone else wants to tack on, but I think I'd be cleaner and more useful with people noting up things separately. Assuming others would be keen to do the same. 

So, sending pm :)

Link to ch 1 of mine.

I commented through your file and pm’d you mine. Cheers.

So I got into a groove of editing by writing out questions to ask myself per sentence/paragraph/scene. It's a slow process, but easy. I go through paragraph by paragraph, and glance back at my questions from time to time.

Now chapter 1 is about as good as I can reasonably make it with my current skill. It's still only 1k words, and that was with moving a scene from ch 2.

Now to finish fixing the same type of blunders in the other twelve-odd chapters, before I'm up to date...