Re: Why it is hard to gain feedback at the start?

There are several factors involved I think.

* Imo, it should be easier at the beginning to attract users because a) it's a new fiction, so the story is listed on another 'front page' besides updated fictions. b) sometimes users are looking for new material. <but it's also difficult perhaps because there's only 1, or 2 chapters out, so little content to give feedback on perhaps?>

1) Timing of released chapters. It's really based on luck, and if people wanna click that new, updated chapter on the front page. The key factors to this are title and cover to see if they appeal to users. RR followings typical go after litrpgs, fantasy, reincarnation and cultivation novels. Other stories while maybe well-written typically don't attract big audiences like romcoms, mystery, etc.

2) Some readers might just be waiting for more content. There are also tons of lurkers who just haven't made accounts.

3) Users typically don't bother if what they read is not to their taste. Harsh, but true. OR they'll drop harsh drive-by ratings if they feel up to it(like you wasted their time or something).

On a side note, you could probably make a request for 'feedback' or 'review swaps.' The difference for asking feedback from a reader and author is typically very different though because of conflict of interests lol.

The amount of work you put out greatly relates to the amount of feedback you will receive. 

Attention spans are short and everyone is just sort of screaming into the void here, hoping to get noticed. With so many options to choose from, it makes sense that readers will want to sink their teeth into a story that is more developed rather than take a chance on something with only a handful of chapters and no reviews. 

It is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. Works that get feedback end up on trending. From trending they get more feedback and so on and on and on, so long as the quality is there.  

There are various reasons.

If you just started like few days or so ago with just a handful of chapters, then maybe they just don't feel like talking about something that just started or there is just too little to talk about.

Also, often times, the first chapters aren't really anything great, so many readers would give your story a chance to get good before giving feedback. After all, the only thing could say at that moment wouldn't be helpful or just negative.

If your story is months old now with a sizeable number of chapters but still no feedback, then most likely your story just didn't attract readers' attention. Your cover might not be attention grabbing, your story description doesn't get readers interest or your story is so unmemorable and mediocre that people just can't bother to talk about it.

In situation like these it is more better to be proactive. Encourage readers to give feedback. Request in the author's notes for feedback. Talk to the readers who commented. Just encourage readers to talk and interact with them. After all that is one advantage to serializing fiction and publishing in sites like this where infrastructure for such interaction is available.

Also beta-readers. Do get feedback to your story before it is even published.

Thedude3445 Wrote: People are a little comment/review shy for smaller works, but you also have to make sure you're getting readers in the first place. That means a good cover, a good description, and an amazing first chapter. Out of those, the latter is the most important.

Oof, my first chapter is a few months old and I picked up the story only two months ago, there is(probably) a big difference in quality. Well, unlucky me. I'll just keep writing and await for some saintly individual to review then.

Though there are some cases of which I see that people give reviews in the first three or four chapters of the story with just ''Great work, I like the style!'' or ''It is lovable, I wonder where the author will take this to!'' When does such a thing occur other than the case where the story is really amazing, as that kind of stories always bound to have good reviews and lots of comments( I suppose)

Raskaro Wrote: Oof, my first chapter is a few months old and I picked up the story only two months ago, there is(probably) a big difference in quality. Well, unlucky me. I'll just keep writing and await for some saintly individual to review then.

Though there are some cases of which I see that people give reviews in the first three or four chapters of the story with just ''Great work, I like the style!'' or ''It is lovable, I wonder where the author will take this to!'' When does such a thing occur other than the case where the story is really amazing, as that kind of stories always bound to have good reviews and lots of comments( I suppose)

This mostly happens to stories that have interesting or popular premise.

If you had an interesting premise that you show in the first chapters, then there is something for people to be interested in and to talk about.

Dungeon core novels are one of those fic that tends to receive reviews in the first few chapters mostly because the premise is clear from the very start. You can tell from the first chapters how it would be different from other dungeon core novels.

If you want to have people interested in your work and talk about it with just a few chapters, then you had to make those first chapters absolutely interesting and well written. Here is some tips for writing those first chapters:

>Ditch the backstory. It seems to happen often here. Instead of starting the story with, well, the story, their story instead start with backstory. It come in many forms: prologues, characters just talking about the past, character reminiscing about their past, etc.. It is just not that interesting. Backstory isn't exactly story but history. Something that happened already.

>Ditch infodumping, or at least don't do it heavily. Like backstory, information isn't the story. I'm sure the world you build is interesting but chapters of explanations about how your world works is just boring. Exposition shouldn't be dumped in your first chapters.

>Start with a Hook. A hook is essentially something to grab your readers attention to make them want to continue reading.

Pride and Prejudice has the famous the opening line, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." It is just grabs your attention and pique your interest.

Just have something in the very first chapter that your readers would hopefully find very interesting. You can look at your favorite novels and fics to see how they do this. They are just varieties of ways.

>Don't waste your reader's time, get on with the story quick. Seriously, so many fics here with first chapters of nothing. So many first chapters of characters just traveling from A to B. So many fist chapters of characters just standing around doing nothing. So many first chapter about the protagonist waking up and doing their morning routines. So many first chapters about characters gazing at their reflection in the mirror and describing their looks. So many first chapter of flashbacks after flashbacks. Seriously, are you really trying to tell as a story at all?

Raskaro Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote: People are a little comment/review shy for smaller works, but you also have to make sure you're getting readers in the first place. That means a good cover, a good description, and an amazing first chapter. Out of those, the latter is the most important.

Oof, my first chapter is a few months old and I picked up the story only two months ago, there is(probably) a big difference in quality. Well, unlucky me. I'll just keep writing and await for some saintly individual to review then.

Honestly, positive/negative feedback that doesn't actually say anything that you can use is pleasant/unpleasant, but useless. 

Raskaro Wrote: Oof, my first chapter is a few months old and I picked up the story only two months ago, there is(probably) a big difference in quality. Well, unlucky me. I'll just keep writing and await for some saintly individual to review then.

Gotta make sure the first chapter hooks the reader on for the long haul. If it doesn't, you'll get the people that read everything of a particular genre, but the mildly-curious may not go past the beginning if it's not real good stuff. I usually never recommend rewriting an ongoing story-- gotta finish it first-- but the first chapter is a big deal. If you have time to revise it and feel like it needs it, that may be a good idea.

Seerica Wrote: Honestly, positive/negative feedback that doesn't actually say anything that you can use is pleasant/unpleasant, but useless.

Well, theoretically we're writing full web novels here, and the story should be well out of draft form by the point it's finally published. I know a lot of people publish their first drafts  I haven't received feedback-like reviews on my published work before, but if it were done I'd mostly feel like they were condescending to me. This isn't an excuse for very vague "this is great! / this sucks!" one-line reviews, but I think feedback is better for comments than reviews.

Yeah the biggest thing is you are on a website full of writers and reader who are posting their stuff. Everyone has many different ideas and its up to you to somehow stand out from the rest of them and hook them in. Thats not an easy thing to do, especially with some of the talent we have around here, but you just gotta keep the constant and quick updates and get to know the community better, itll come. 

Im in the same boat, im at a mere 500 views for my 6 chapters in 25 days which im happy with haha but stick with it :)