Re: Do you like reading comics or word books?

Both are fine, to me. Which one i prefer at the time often depends on my mood. But, neither is inherently better. My enjoyment of either depends entirely on the author/editor/artist's skills. 

Manga is another thing entirely. While i used to love finding and reading new manga, the whole shebang has become saturated with trash. As such, finding quality manga is becoming harder and harder. As such, i tend to stick to one's i've already found and enjoyed, such as Drifters and Kengan Asura/Omega/Zero. 

That said, yes, comics have more illustrations and such, but a good author can get a point across far better than all but the better artists. As such, i tend to lean into books when it comes down to the nitty-gritty. 

Both depending on my mood and current inclination. Recently, I've been reading more words than pictures because I've been focusing on writing more. Somehow, that has resulted in me reading more words than comics when I used to read Webtoons habitually everyday. Several years ago I read some manga, but I never got super super into it as I preferred anime if given the choice. But even then, I didn't watch much anime back then either.... Lol, I hop around all over the place with stories both words, pictures, and moving images.

Sometimes, a picture can really mean a thousand words. The various emotions and thoughts that strike someone looking at a picture may never be the same as in writing no matter how good the writer. But the same goes in reverse. It all depends on the skill of the writer and circumstances of the story. For instance, a novel written simply with a great storyline probably shines the most if made into a comic, especially if it's an action, adventure, fantasy, or romance story. Some details missing in the novel that might be cut out purposefully because it's unnecessary (too much description, world building, filler, etc.) might be present in the comic to give a fuller experience. For example, a clear image of what the world is like. But at the same time, writing allows more personal imagination to the reader.

Depends on the story and the focus of what the writer tries to describe.
It's a different medium.
Text novels often rely on the visual imagination of the reader while describing things that cannot be drawn. Comics can also communicate things in a few simple pictures that would take a lot of explanation in words.

A Discworld novel wouldn't have the same effect in comic version, and a Yoko Tsuno story (one of my Belgian favourites) wouldn't work in text without the visual aspect.

I like both, although I usually read books. I find ordinary novels to be better able to communicate what the characters are thinking and feeling, and allow me to really get into the heads of the people in them and see the world from their perspective. And the books I read don't have the cringey harem/wish-fulfillment bollocks that seem to plague a lot of the manga I get recommended. 

That said, there are plenty of great manga with breathtaking art that I love. JoJo and Berserk being the most prominent.

I like books more, but I don't mind illustrations in books, either, like those illustrations in the Alice books of Lewis Carroll or the Oz books of L. Frank Baum. But in general, I tend to go for books more, because I like imagining the characters I read doing stuff than letting the pictures do most of the talking. With that said, I really like the manga artwork of Junji Ito. Those are freaking amazing (and scary).
New Reply