Re: Anyone one know a story with a straight female mc on here

Question, why specifically a straight female MC? Are there a lot of stories where the female MC isn't straight, so it's harder to find ones that are on RR? Just curious as I was surprised seeing the request. My novel has a straight female MC, and I would find it difficult to make a convincing non-straight (lesbian, bi, etc.) female MC unless one had... personal or secondary experience (like from friends/acquaintances)?
I hope this question doesn't come off as rude or offensive. I'm just honestly curious.

Chryiss Wrote: Question, why specifically a straight female MC? Are there a lot of stories where the female MC isn't straight, so it's harder to find ones that are on RR? Just curious as I was surprised seeing the request. My novel has a straight female MC, and I would find it difficult to make a convincing non-straight (lesbian, bi, etc.) female MC unless one had... personal or secondary experience (like from friends/acquaintances)?
I hope this question doesn't come off as rude or offensive. I'm just honestly curious.

It's actually a minority of female protagonists in male-dominated RoyalRoad that are heterosexual, possibly because most of the writers are men writing for men? Or possibly because of the heavy influence by anime, where lesbian undertones run rampant in almost every popular female-led show? I'm not sure.

Chryiss Wrote: Question, why specifically a straight female MC? Are there a lot of stories where the female MC isn't straight, so it's harder to find ones that are on RR? Just curious as I was surprised seeing the request. My novel has a straight female MC, and I would find it difficult to make a convincing non-straight (lesbian, bi, etc.) female MC unless one had... personal or secondary experience (like from friends/acquaintances)?

Thedude3445 Wrote:

It's actually a minority of female protagonists in male-dominated RoyalRoad that are heterosexual, possibly because most of the writers are men writing for men? Or possibly because of the heavy influence by anime, where lesbian undertones run rampant in almost every popular female-led show? I'm not sure.

It's essentially what TheDude3445 said, it's hard to find a story on here where the female mc is straight since, most of the time they're into other girls, or there is no romance at all. (well at least for me its hard to find lol.)

Ooooohh~~ That's very interesting. I'm still pretty new here, just about two months. Coming from Webnovel directly before this, I'm so used to heterosexual relationships where anything otherwise was rare (probably due to the high amount of female MC romances, anyone from WN would know what I mean xD). Anyway, good to know!

Now that I think about it, of all the review swaps I participated in on RR or books read, none of them had straight female MCs. o_o Guess I really am the oddball out lol. Well, my story is in the link when you run out of this category to read from the previous recommendations. I'm probably going to read them now too. XD

Chryiss Wrote: Ooooohh~~ That's very interesting. I'm still pretty new here, just about two months. Coming from Webnovel directly before this, I'm so used to heterosexual relationships where anything otherwise was rare (probably due to the high amount of female MC romances, anyone from WN would know what I mean xD). Anyway, good to know!

Now that I think about it, of all the review swaps I participated in on RR or books read, none of them had straight female MCs. o_o Guess I really am the oddball out lol. Well, my story is in the link when you run out of this category to read from the previous recommendations. I'm probably going to read them now too. XD

I hope you find good stories on here, also if you dont mind me asking, what is webnovel?
Edit: also yes, straight female mc's are pretty rare here D: lol

Webnovel.com is another website like this one where you can upload your own story and read other stories. But the differences are it's a Chinese website that was based on translating Chinese (and some Korean) stories to English. They're called Translations while those posted by its users are Originals. The latter can be offered contracts by Webnovel to become a "featured" novel that can potentially gain money (typically not that much though) through something called Spirit Stones (SS), their form of currency.

As much as I like the website, the Originals stories aren't as well written in my honest opinion as those on Royal Road. Since many aren't English speakers, the grammar 50% of the time is *cough* quite atrocious for those fluent in the language. BUT, since daily updates are heavily encouraged over there, those types of stories often become popular with readers, especially if they're female CEO romances. This is kinda what I was referring to earlier about straight females. Of course, some of these romance stories are good, but the majority, ahem, aren't. To be fair, if there weren't so many rehashes of them I would enjoy them better. Some consider it to be like Wattpad in this way. Romances which seem to be written by female teenagers...

But besides this one point, there's a large library of stories to read, so there's something for everyone. The translated stories are the highlights, but Originals contend pretty well with them. The translated novels don't have nice stylistic writing usually though. This is probably due to Chinese writers being paid on character count, so some stories have fillers (repeated information), and the chapters are often 100s if not 1000s of chapters long. They're serials after all.

In short, I recommend the site more for reading and the interactivity (forums are more active than here) but not for putting up your stories unless they're romances for girls, or wuxia/xianxia/cultivation or video games for guys. But there are some not in these categories that do well, so it doesn't hurt to try (if anyone's interested). However, beware of scappers/bots that roam the site and re-upload onto pirate websites. I've had this happen for my novels; even though, they're pretty obscure by WN standards.

Whew I said more than I intended. XD This turned into a ramble....but I hope that clears up all what WN is and its potential and differences.

Chryiss Wrote: [snip]

In short, I recommend the site more for reading and the interactivity (forums are more active than here) but not for putting up your stories unless they're romances for girls, or wuxia/xianxia/cultivation or video games for guys. But there are some not in these categories that do well, so it doesn't hurt to try (if anyone's interested). However, beware of scappers/bots that roam the site and re-upload onto pirate websites. I've had this happen for my novels; even though, they're pretty obscure by WN standards.

Whew I said more than I intended. XD This turned into a ramble....but I hope that clears up all what WN is and its potential and differences.

I'm not keen on a lot of these Webnovels.com esque sites that use microtransaction currencies for a library of hastily-translated stories and user-submitted content, especially since they like to prey on web fiction writers quite often-- my "main series" (not on RRL) has gotten propositioned to be posted on several of these type of story websites, despite being not at ALL suited for the Chinese web novel reader demographic. But they do have their audiences if you're looking for a specific type of story. Now that Wattpad's introduced its own currency microtransaction system, a lot of these are probably going to die off pretty soon though because it's just so much bigger.

As for the demographic stuff, maybe the world needs more stories that appeal to multiple genres/demographics at once. Straight female romance fantasy/LitRPGs, or VR/isekai stories that double as workplace slice-of-life comedies. Or, even more daring, a lesbian romance web novel without any fantastical elements whatsoever. That's probably too bold... 

Thedude3445 Wrote:
Chryiss Wrote: [snip]

I'm not keen on a lot of these Webnovels.com esque sites that use microtransaction currencies for a library of hastily-translated stories and user-submitted content, especially since they like to prey on web fiction writers quite often-- my "main series" (not on RRL) has gotten propositioned to be posted on several of these type of story websites, despite being not at ALL suited for the Chinese web novel reader demographic. But they do have their audiences if you're looking for a specific type of story. Now that Wattpad's introduced its own currency microtransaction system, a lot of these are probably going to die off pretty soon though because it's just so much bigger.

As for the demographic stuff, maybe the world needs more stories that appeal to multiple genres/demographics at once. Straight female romance fantasy/LitRPGs, or VR/isekai stories that double as workplace slice-of-life comedies. Or, even more daring, a lesbian romance web novel without any fantastical elements whatsoever. That's probably too bold...

Agreed. There are certain demographics as well as preferred genres on WN like other sites. Even RR to a degree but less so I think. There's more variety here. The only problem I have with the micro-transactions are that they are hella expensive. And since WN went away with the monthly membership, it costs hundreds of dollars for a single serial, that as you said, might not be translated well.
New Reply