Re: From Inception to Self Publication: an all Inclusive Guide with Price and Process

Wutosama Wrote: Thanks JD

I am using Scrivener now and worked out the compiling. 
Before that... jeebus. 
Amazing physical copy still very hard to do.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at “Vellum”. I’ve done a few hundred books on KDP. Generate the kindle and print versions from the same source and have got beautiful and professional results.

Re: From Inception to Self Publication: an all Inclusive Guide with Price and Process

Jack0fheart Wrote: I notice that you mentioned topwebfiction.com, how do I go about joining?

Thank you for the post, it was very insightful!

It says you need a referral from another author. I think they revamped their system or something. Who to get one from though...  I can't help you on that. Maybe someone nice will throw you an invite. On that note, throw me one too XD.

Zogarth Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote: I notice that you mentioned topwebfiction.com, how do I go about joining?

It says you need a referral from another author. I think they revamped their system or something. Who to get one from though...  I can't help you on that. Maybe someone nice will throw you an invite. On that note, throw me one too XD.

I saw that too. Hopefully, Wutosama is feeling generous!

Jack0fheart Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote:

I saw that too. Hopefully, Wutosama is feeling generous!

The world is a cruel cruel place...

Wutosama Wrote: The first book likely took between 800 - 900 hours from conception to publication, though I have a feeling Volume 2 will take a lot less time. The total cost to me to produce something that looks good and feels good was about AUD 4500. I would have to say that I have no expectation of recouping costs and only hope to get enough to pay it forward for Volume 2, then 3, then 4, etc. Just the fact that if I were to have worked on Sundays (self-employed) for 1000 hours... I could have bought about 25 years worth of Smashed Avocado Sandwiches about now is the reality of it.

I'm pretty much sure that it was a baseless worry on your part. :)

By talking to some other authors I achieved the conclusion that a book's pure income could be roughly calculated by the number of reviews. For example, most authors with about 50 reviews earned +-20 000$ from their book. Your first book has almost 150 reviews, so it should be roughly equal to 60k$ of pure profit for you. If you received much less than that then it is possible that Draft2Digital scams their users somehow.

Also, it isn't really necessary to pay 4500 AUD for all those services. On Fiverr, you can find professional services at really affordable prices. You can get a great cover for less than 100$ and proofreading from an experienced editor for less than 1000$ (yes, for this number of pages). Honestly, though, other authors with a similar number of followers earn at least 5k$ per month from their Patreon (if they add advance chapters there) and it is much easier to set up. So you can always go this road if you want to earn with your writing. And the most cunning authors just use both methods. Like, for example, the author of Wandering Inn.

Wutosama Wrote: After submitting my tax report
Vol 1 and 2 in 2019 - 2020 has made a total of $22,000 AUD on Amazon. 
More than enough to recoup costs! 

Good luck, everyone!

I guess that it's less than I've assumed because those from Patreon who've bought the book are more likely to leave a review than just random buyers from kindle. In the end, the best thing to judge a book's popularity is ABSR.

Anyway, congratulations!

p.s. This proves that for most authors on RR it's better to just earn with Patreon rather than relying on self-publishing. Then again, you can do both by ignoring Kindle Unlimited which is more or less useless. IDK why some authors delete their stories just to get in KU. It barely affects your sales.

ConstanTeen Wrote:
Wutosama Wrote: After submitting my tax report
Vol 1 and 2 in 2019 - 2020 has made a total of $22,000 AUD on Amazon. 
More than enough to recoup costs! 

Good luck, everyone!

I guess that it's less than I've assumed because those from Patreon who've bought the book are more likely to leave a review than just random buyers from kindle. In the end, the best thing to judge a book's popularity is ABSR.

Anyway, congratulations!

p.s. This proves that for most authors on RR it's better to just earn with Patreon rather than relying on self-publishing. Then again, you can do both by ignoring Kindle Unlimited which is more or less useless. IDK why some authors delete their stories just to get in KU. It barely affects your sales.

ABSR, for these books on Amazon, shows that both sell less than a book a day. (their ranks are around 125k and 250k). Even with 2 books a day * 365 days, * 5 dollars (full price), you would be FAR from the correct number. ABSR can only try and show how much it's earning right now, it's hard/impossible to deduce how much it has earned in the past. (or, I messed something up)