Re: reviews and ratings, why am I not getting any?

I feel the same way ~ ^and I agree with the above poster - typically readers will lurk, but maybe some will be moved to make an account and actually comment and rate stuff lol. I think it’s great if a reader actually writes a review because it took some time for them to read and express themselves about how they feel about the current work, negative or positive. But I guess it comes down to getting further along the storyline before more reviews do come through and maybe do review swaps to gain attention.

Omi Nya Wrote: I was sitting with 1 review for a month. By the time I got 2nd review, I had 25k views and 150 followers.

I was wondering the exact same thing as the OP, so it's true that comments are sparse here. Bummer. I was beginning to think that the read counters weren't accurate. 

I was hoping to get more reader interaction and feedback because that's what I really need: reactions. 

I'll just sit tight and see what happens as I publish more chapters. 

Thanks for providing your stats as an example. 

David-O Wrote:
Omi Nya Wrote: I was sitting with 1 review for a month. By the time I got 2nd review, I had 25k views and 150 followers.

I was hoping to get more reader interaction and feedback because that's what I really need: reactions. 

I'll just sit tight and see what happens as I publish more chapters.

Someone left the first review for my book today! 

(And I was just griping out not hearing any feedback at all!)

So for anyone else who's curious about a real world example, I had to publish 6 chapters (20 equivalent pages) and a cumulative views of about 450 before the first person said anything.

I was really appreciative of this first review because I came to RR because I heard the reader demographic was closer to my target, so I'm very interested in the reader reactions. 

You don't really have to worry about that. As a fellow writer, I understand the desperate need for feedback, but like the others said, most readers are lurkers. 

If you want an exemple, one of my chapter has 27K views, and 51 comments. Considering that some comments come from the same readers who turned the comment section into a debate, let's say there is about 40 comments coming from a unique reader (it's probably less). You do your maths, and you'll see that's only 0,1% of the total number of readers who leave comments. Same thing with reviews (but worse). My novel has 41 reviews, for 640K views. That's 0,006% of readers.

So yes, I strongly suggest you don't worry about that. The best thing you can do about it is keep writing. The more advanced your story is, the more readers, and thus comments/reviews you'll get. The only fact that you keep having views is a good thing. If something bothers your readers, they will tell you (readers are usually more vocals about things they don't like rather than things they like, so if you see things that way, no comments might actually be a good thing ^^')

Nerodith Wrote: You don't really have to worry about that. As a fellow writer, I understand the desperate need for feedback, but like the others said, most readers are lurkers. 

If you want an exemple, one of my chapter has 27K views, and 51 comments. Considering that some comments come from the same readers who turned the comment section into a debate, let's say there is about 40 comments coming from a unique reader (it's probably less). You do your maths, and you'll see that's only 0,001% of the total number of readers who leave comments. Same thing with reviews (but worse). My novel has 41 reviews, for 640K views. That's 0,00006% of readers.

So yes, I strongly suggest you don't worry about that. The best thing you can do about it is keep writing. The more advanced your story is, the more readers, and thus comments/reviews you'll get. The only fact that you keep having views is a good thing. If something bothers your readers, they will tell you (readers are usually more vocals about things they don't like rather than things they like, so if you see things that way, no comments might actually be a good thing ^^')

Dude, your math is entirely wrong. You forgot to multiply by 100 when converting to a percent. You also assumed that you have 640k readers when that's views. Not even unique views. Just sayin.

Ral Wrote: Not to mention, authors often attack reviewers if they rate their story any less than stellar. There is just no incentive for people to review at all but all the incentive to keep silent.

The stories that people are incentivized to review are the really great ones and the really terrible ones, especially the incredibly great ones. The more incredible or the more horrible your story is, the more it attracts reviews. I think, it is because people are on a consensus and feel more safe in speaking when other has spoken the same thing.

To me, overall, a lack of review often indicates that the story is middling. It just isn't outstanding enough (whether in the good way or bad way) to make people talk about it.

Though, comments would be much better than reviews in some aspects. Comments are more nuanced and you can actually interact with the readers. It gives greater feedback than mere reviews.

I think this response is on the money. It is just that hard to write something so outstanding that folks would be willing to talk to you. 

Skywind Wrote: Dude, your math is entirely wrong. You forgot to multiply by 100 when converting to a percent. You also assumed that you have 640k readers when that's views. Not even unique views. Just sayin.

Oh, you're right. Completely forgot to multiply by 100. I'll correct that.
Anyway, my point is that statistically speaking, a very low amount of readers will leave comments, and even less will leave reviews, so there is no need to worry as long as the views keep coming, and that there is no negative feedback !