Re: How do i get followers

Honest, fast and true advice?

- Have a good cover.

- Have an interesting sypnosis.

- Make sure your first 3 chapters are interesting and engaging. 

- Start releasing content and keep releasing content. 

- Maybe do a few review swaps ( optional ). Reviews give your story credibility, help draw in readers.

That's it. 

There is a variety of ways that will influence people writing comments.

First of all, as many have already mentioned. Have the content out there that is interesting and appealing enough to make them want to comment on something happening in the story. More chapters / pages will give you a higher chance of someone getting interested enough to stick around and the more they read, the more they might be inclined to spend some time to comment.

Obviously increasing the number of people over time, will get more people to comment. More people, more comments, simple quantity. Only a small amount of people who view your novel will comment on it, that's pretty much the same for everyone, even big novels out there.

Existing comments usually lead to others reading them and then increase the likelyhood of them to reply or write their own. Like begets like, both in a positive as well as in a negative sense.

Wanting more people is obviously related to getting more exposure. If your content is up to par, then getting more exposure will help people to find your work.
Different times when you post your updates, a good cover and initial impression with the name, synopsis or first chapters, mass releases if you can manage it, to hang out in that new releases for a longer amount of time as well as your own advertisement in the proper places will all help towards getting more exposure.

Most of all though time is a big benefit as well. The longer you keep constantly working on your novel, the more people might stick around. The more people stick around, the easier it will become for people to find your novel. Even if you are 'unlucky' with your timezone, or just have a slower start because not many people have found your novel, having more content will give you an easier time later on, once people have found you and things like comments and reviews are picking up.

Advice for your book in specific?

Work on your synopsis and the formatting of your chapters. Your synopsis has quite a lot of spelling mistakes. The formatting is also not really the best. Try to add some more paragraphs perhaps to make it easier to read.

As for your chapters, try to add paragraphs and use them after a sentence ends, not in the middle of a sentence. Currently your chapters are very hard to read.

That is the hardest part, heck im in the same boat. That being said from what ive seen, you just gotta dive into the community. If you do have a quality book itll be found and read. If you just kinda post it... eh odds are itll kinda linger in the shadows.

That being said, when you post new stuff, do it during the week (weekends it can get blotted out easily with everyone posting) and do it at a prime time. 
Keep up the good work though, it can be tough when its not out but as long as you love it, just keep going.

Ill check out your work.

On getting comments... people are less likely to comment if there are no comments. So one little trick people do (on blogs and things) is to comment once as a kind of icebreaker. Now I've no idea if that's allowed, but you can post for a comment swap I'm sure. Its not a magic bullet, but it could help a little.

Secondly... not to single you out INimbus (:P...), but your advise about free covers rubs me the wrong way. I know its ubiquitous to here when starting out to pick an image and say "sorry if it's yours, lemme know and I'll take it down 'k?". Here's the thing. There are lots of artists that will let you use stuff for free, either via a stated license or if you ask nicely. Its not much extra work, its fun, and you'll benefit by looking. I'm personally holding off doing this myself as I'm giving a crack at painting it (also fun).

To demonstrate: I googled "creative commons old forest background illustration" (CC is commonly used) and turned up this and this. The first one is in CC0. The second one has no license, he calls it "just some practice" (so ask). Otherwise, google's results were irrelevant (has it worsened?!), so I tried creativecommons.org (there's an image search feature). That was useless, so I moved on to duckduckgo. That worked

I've never seen an artist that doesn't like to see derivations of their work, or have it spread around legitimately. It strikes me as disrespectful not to try, even for stuff like this. If they let you use their work, thank them, link to them - and maybe they'll like your story and link to you. Its not that many artists would really mind... its just being nice.

What I'm curious to know is how "views" relate to "followers". 

Just seems to me that views are awfully high compared to the number of followers and that somehow doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

I can totally understand that *some* people stumble upon a fiction and just read whatever is there and go away never to come back again (thus, they don't follow), but the ratio is like 100:1 (views:followers). 

Makes me think that web crawlers or 'bots are being counted as "views" when they spider the site. I don't have any evidence, of course, but just a feeling. If anyone DOES know, let us in on it!

Wrote: What I'm curious to know is how "views" relate to "followers". 

Just seems to me that views are awfully high compared to the number of followers and that somehow doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

I can totally understand that *some* people stumble upon a fiction and just read whatever is there and go away never to come back again (thus, they don't follow), but the ratio is like 100:1 (views:followers). 

Makes me think that web crawlers or 'bots are being counted as "views" when they spider the site. I don't have any evidence, of course, but just a feeling. If anyone DOES know, let us in on it!

I think that has to be it, because I have chapters where there's a spike but the before and after don't track. For example, chapter, let's say, 5 has 145 views, but then 6 has 170, then chapter 7 goes down to 150. I'm supposed to believe that someone, what, clicked on chapter 6 over 5? That doesn't make sense. I mean, I've heard of some people going from your first to your most recent chapter to compare quality, but that's not the only chapter where that happens. Random chapters just have huge viewer spikes and then go back to normal numbers I'd expect from random click throughs.

Bigmouth Wrote:

I think that has to be it, because I have chapters where there's a spike but the before and after don't track. For example, chapter, let's say, 5 has 145 views, but then 6 has 170, then chapter 7 goes down to 150. I'm supposed to believe that someone, what, clicked on chapter 6 over 5? That doesn't make sense. I mean, I've heard of some people going from your first to your most recent chapter to compare quality, but that's not the only chapter where that happens. Random chapters just have huge viewer spikes and then go back to normal numbers I'd expect from random click throughs.

Let's compare numbers:

My (one and only) fiction has Views: 3844 and Followers: 29
and it's been available for 3.5 weeks so far. 

That's a Views:Followers ratio of 133:1
And a Views/Day ration of: 154  <- I think they call this number "Average Views." 

If web crawlers/bots are treating us equally, you should be seeing ballpark stats as mine I would *think*. 

If web crawlers/bots are treating us UN-equally, then I don't know anymore how they calculate these stats. 

Bigmouth Wrote:

People might re-read a chapter they enjoy. that counts as a view. 

I think some people also click the chapter they see published, and decide not to read the story. I use the # of clicks to determine when it is better to post chapters, but tbh, I noticed that I get new followers within two days of posting a chapter, so people scroll through the backlogs. 

My first book, I was posting chapters daily, shifting each release by 1 hour. With my second book, I had to take it down, because it got bad rating without any explanation, so assumed I was not hitting the demographics. 

The third book, I post every second day, still scheduling to shift by 1 hour day after day. 

Overall though, I feel that if the book is fated to draw positive attention, it would, no matter what you do. 

Wrote: That's a Views:Followers ratio of 133:1
And a Views/Day ration of: 154  <- I think they call this number "Average Views." 

If web crawlers/bots are treating us equally, you should be seeing ballpark stats as mine I would *think*. 

If web crawlers/bots are treating us UN-equally, then I don't know anymore how they calculate these stats.

I'm fairly certain that web crawlers are not counted in the stats (I say this because I've been watching my novel's stats pretty closely the entire time I've been publishing it, and in dry stints it would go days without any views. If web crawlers are indeed counted, then the view count should be constantly ticking upward at a fairly steady pace, even if you never publish anything at all).

Average Views has nothing to do with time; it's simply your total views divided by the number of chapters in the fiction (you can easily verify this with a calculator).

My fiction's current numbers are pretty much useless (because I got an influx of both views and followers recently thanks to a reddit community taking note and getting onto the bottom of the Trending list for a while, which broke my previous trend). However, what I've noticed:

• I tend to have about 1/4 as many "Followers" as I do actual followers. For quite a while, I would publish a new chapter, the views on it would steady rise over the course of ~24 hours to 100-200, and then it would plateau. Old chapters gradually incremented each time I published something new (meaning new readers were discovering the story), but it was obvious to me that I had about 100-200 regular readers, give or take. This entire time I was around maybe 25-50 followers (for a long while there I was gaining about 1-3 followers per chapter). I think a reasonable number of people don't use the Follower/Bookmark feature at all; they just check the site regularly and read the stuff they already know they like.

• I have a premium account, which entails slightly more stats than otherwise (I'm not advocating this; they honestly don't provide all that much in the way of insights). One of the graphs shows a line graph of total chapter views overlaid with the number of comments. Chapter views fluctuate up above their surroundings for chapters with more comments. This implies that visiting a chapter to view a response to your comment (or to check if there are more comments, maybe) counts as a view.

• On that topic, I also suspect that people will sometimes click the chapter from the homepage "recent updates" list just to see if they can remember reading the story. This may account for fluctuating counts, as well, since it means that chapters published at highly visible times may get inflated without the potential visitor viewing any other chapters.

• One of the premium stats that I actually find useful/interesting is a table called "reader retention". In particular, it shows numbers for logged in members who have read up to a particular chapter. For me, about 16% of logged in members have only read through Chapter 1. 8% stopped at Chapter 2. About 20-25% have read through my most recent chapter (usually; I just published a chapter, though, so they're split between the two most recent). And all of the other chapters have between .5-3% of users who only read through to them. This tells me that the number of readers who try it and drop it is about equal to the number who stick with it long term (both around 25%). And both of those together are about equal to the number who read through to the most recent chapter and then never touch it again (about 50%, spread evenly-ish across all other chapters). If we assume that anonymous visitors are probably more likely to read everything and then never return, the view/follower discrepancy starts to make even more sense.

Lastly, I've been publishing for about 3.5 months and my ratio of views to followers is 152:1; pretty darn close to your own. I suspect having a lot more views than followers is completely normal.

Wrote:
Wrote: That's a Views:Followers ratio of 133:1

I'm fairly certain that web crawlers are not counted in the stats (I say this because I've been watching my novel's stats pretty closely the entire time I've been publishing it, and in dry stints it would go days without any views. If web crawlers are indeed counted, then the view count should be constantly ticking upward at a fairly steady pace, even if you never publish anything at all).

Average Views has nothing to do with time; it's simply your total views divided by the number of chapters in the fiction (you can easily verify this with a calculator).

My fiction's current numbers are pretty much useless (because I got an influx of both views and followers recently thanks to a reddit community taking note and getting onto the bottom of the Trending list for a while, which broke my previous trend). However, what I've noticed:

• I tend to have about 1/4 as many "Followers" as I do actual followers. For quite a while, I would publish a new chapter, the views on it would steady rise over the course of ~24 hours to 100-200, and then it would plateau. Old chapters gradually incremented each time I published something new (meaning new readers were discovering the story), but it was obvious to me that I had about 100-200 regular readers, give or take. This entire time I was around maybe 25-50 followers (for a long while there I was gaining about 1-3 followers per chapter). I think a reasonable number of people don't use the Follower/Bookmark feature at all; they just check the site regularly and read the stuff they already know they like.

• I have a premium account, which entails slightly more stats than otherwise (I'm not advocating this; they honestly don't provide all that much in the way of insights). One of the graphs shows a line graph of total chapter views overlaid with the number of comments. Chapter views fluctuate up above their surroundings for chapters with more comments. This implies that visiting a chapter to view a response to your comment (or to check if there are more comments, maybe) counts as a view.

• On that topic, I also suspect that people will sometimes click the chapter from the homepage "recent updates" list just to see if they can remember reading the story. This may account for fluctuating counts, as well, since it means that chapters published at highly visible times may get inflated without the potential visitor viewing any other chapters.

• One of the premium stats that I actually find useful/interesting is a table called "reader retention". In particular, it shows numbers for logged in members who have read up to a particular chapter. For me, about 16% of logged in members have only read through Chapter 1. 8% stopped at Chapter 2. About 20-25% have read through my most recent chapter (usually; I just published a chapter, though, so they're split between the two most recent). And all of the other chapters have between .5-3% of users who only read through to them. This tells me that the number of readers who try it and drop it is about equal to the number who stick with it long term (both around 25%). And both of those together are about equal to the number who read through to the most recent chapter and then never touch it again (about 50%, spread evenly-ish across all other chapters). If we assume that anonymous visitors are probably more likely to read everything and then never return, the view/follower discrepancy starts to make even more sense.

Lastly, I've been publishing for about 3.5 months and my ratio of views to followers is 152:1; pretty darn close to your own. I suspect having a lot more views than followers is completely normal.

Thanks for sharing your numbers and analysis. It's VERY comforting to us who are trying to make sense of how to read these numbers. 

You know the saying: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." 

I'd just like the peace of mind that I'm not lying to myself. :)

Wrote: The thing is, being a follower gives nothing to the person who hit that button. You don’t even receive the update alert. All it does, is  flags the story in the recently updated list for you.

You can also track these stories in your profile, and see where you left off reading for any you followed,(from your profile). As such, you can check your profile for what stories you did follow, but didn't favourite, and how many chapters are new since you last viewed them.

Wrote: The thing is, being a follower gives nothing to the person who hit that button. You don’t even receive the update alert.

Not entirely - while you don't get a special alert, the bookmark list in your profile is sorted by update, so if you go there regularly you'll always find those stories who had been updated at the top of the list in your profile, while those who weren't updated or are on hiatus drop down in the bookmarks.
Additionally, the bookmark list always shows the last chapter with the time how old it is, so that feature is a good way to keep track of what you haven't read yet.

That said, you can also track by favorite or read later, and those will not count toward followers but would result in views.

To compare: My story is three months old, with about one months of hiatus for a partial rewrite after one week of daily chapters, and then two months of weekly scheduled chapters (which will continue because I schedule my written chapters ahead, exactly to prevent a hiatus).
Numbers are 9977 views, 99 followers, 18 ratings, 119 pages, currently 4 chapters scheduled ahead (was higher before, because I couldn't write anything last week).

The best way to get followers seem to be batch releases - ten or so chapter within a week at different times. If I ever get far enough advance with writing I'll probably do that, but until then I'm gaining a few more followers every week.

Wrote: Regarding batch releases of chapters, how many words do those chapters usually contain? I don't think I can release 10 chapters a week since I set my minimum to 3500 words per chapter.

That is not what I'm talking about. Not one batch per week, but if you have enough chapters in excess then release them in batches instead of trickling them.

I plan a combination of both - one regular chapter per week to keep interest, but since I can write more than one chapter per week I keep accumulating the extras until I have enough to give a week with extra many chapters. the steady release will keep existing readers, but the best chance for new readers is the batch release.

This also has the advantage that if real life interferes and you can't write anything for a week or two (as happened to me last week), you'll still have a buffer to continue the weekly releases.

Andar Wrote:
Wrote: Regarding batch releases of chapters, how many words do those chapters usually contain? I don't think I can release 10 chapters a week since I set my minimum to 3500 words per chapter.

That is not what I'm talking about. Not one batch per week, but if you have enough chapters in excess then release them in batches instead of trickling them.

I plan a combination of both - one regular chapter per week to keep interest, but since I can write more than one chapter per week I keep accumulating the extras until I have enough to give a week with extra many chapters. the steady release will keep existing readers, but the best chance for new readers is the batch release.

This also has the advantage that if real life interferes and you can't write anything for a week or two (as happened to me last week), you'll still have a buffer to continue the weekly releases.

Ah. Regarding the weekly release, how many words do they usually contain? Because I was busy, I actually made do with 1 chapter at 3500 words (minimum) a month. But because I can idle at work sometimes, I've been able to post a new chapter within 1-2 weeks.

Sometimes the muse is strong so after posting the latest chapter, I start the next one again.

So maybe scheduling them between regular releases instead of posting them just when they are finished is better then? That's giving me a lot to think about, in a good way though. Thanks for that.