Re: Writer's Origin Stories

Professionally, I am a cat  have a B. Arts B.Ed, I am based in Sydney, I have two humans cats, and I work with literature and language on a daily basis. Though certainly not the best writer on this website, I do put out work of a consistent quality very quickly. My most relevant pre-writing experience is that I ran a community-based D&D game as a young warthog back in the 00s - 10s, running 12-hour marathons monthly. At our peak, we had over 8 DMs and 50+ players. Keeping a story consistent over 7 years, 60 adventures with all the Players trying to derail the campaign. It was good times. 

The main reason I started writing was because of lack of time for table-top gaming. The whole thing reads like a 90s Rock Band narrative. 

Start playing in garage, great fun, great success. 
Started running games at the local game shop. People were draw to how much fun we were having. 
Started organising game nights, kids wanted to join, but we're all adults.
Started hitting the big times after a re-organisation. Started running 3 tables of 6 players 1 DM. 
After about 5 years, had 6 - 7 Tables, sometimes overloaded with players. Session ran from 9AM to Midnight. The game shop sponsoring us for free sold a fucking PALLET of soft drinks per day. 
Then my best DM got married, his wife is a Christian nutcase. Made him quit the 'Devil's Game'. 
My other DM moved away to country. 
Games got tighter, people had bigger commitments, including myself. 
Finally, game shop owner quit, and the new managers have no idea how the culture works. 

Disband. 

Run home campaigns for next few years. Warhammer 40K, Dark Sun, Vampire Masq, D20 Modern. 
Friend from the old campaigned worked his way up to the top of Hasbro - we start playing / testing all the new DnD stuff. 
Then... friends have kids. I buy a new house. People go from living 10min apart to 50min apart... 

So can a Dungeon Master do with all that bustling brain full of ideas? 

...Looking at this forum, my origins kind of feel inferior in comparison.

I am a freshman from high school ( Hurrah for lack of sleep! ) with the general love of books. [ Love=obsession, obsession=addiction, addiction=withdrawal ] What shunted me into the world of writing was simple boredom. I read all fictions in my school libraries, elementary, middle, and starting on high school, and the available internet, leading to the discovery of Royalroad. Something in my head began to gnaw at itself with my lack of script, until I came into madness, and fell into a fit of writing 69 pages over my spring break.
Needless to say, it was bad.
Awful. Horrid.
I cannot stress how weirded out I was that I had several hundred people reading that, that... thing. I had no proofreading software at the time, no knowledge of the thing I was writing about, and built my story with no real structure; just pure, raw, primal instinct fueled the singular spark of goodness inside that heap of text. Most agreed that I make inspirational qoutes and epic lines really well... that probably was the only good thing about it... I thank the several that had powered through my first 5 chapters of terribleness. As my mind traveled back into the world of reality, I realized the horrible mistakes I was making, and set out to make a rewrite, which is my current project as of yet.

I grew up in a household that was always writing. My mother published fanfiction (in the 80s and 90s) all over the internet for about four or five different shows. My father wrote screenplays and historical non-fiction for various publications and museums. He even won a regional Emmy for a documentary he wrote for the University of Arkansas.

I dictated my first fanfic story to my mother when I was six, and she passed it around to all her friends.

Growing up I had a healthy reading obsession, but I also wrote. All through middle and high school I was an active poster of various fanfiction. I was the quiet kid whose English assignment was read out in class as an example.

I learned to write stories, not only for myself, but for the enjoyment of my audience. Sure I had ideas and scenes that I wanted to write and see where they went, but I wanted to share my work and entertain my readers. 

The older I get, the more I shy away from writing true fanfiction, and instead focus on building my own worlds and characters. I want to see what kind of stories they can tell me.

I owe parents for my love of writing, and my appreciation for the writing community.

Back in elementary school, I was always overjoyed when the teacher said we could write a narrative essay instead of an expository one. I always used to goof off in middle school classes by writing these grotesque two-page stories on notebook paper to entertain my friends with afterwards. When I got interested in writing beyond shock value was when I placed in the top five in my school for a timed essay contest we all had to take part in back in the eighth grade. It gave me a boost to my confidence so I decided to keep on at something, that at least other people thought, I was good at. Since then I've always been getting more into writing year-by-year. I'm writing more than I ever had before nowadays.

Let's see... my very earliest memory with making a creative story on paper was in second grade, when I made a "novelization" of Paper Mario, and then made a Super Smash Bros. picture book. It was about a year later, in third grade, when I made my very first "Star Wars Episode VII" comic book about a self-insert character who became a Jedi under the tutelage of Luke Skywalker as he built the new Jedi Order. Also, halfway through there was a story twist that I was Luke's child, and he revealed it by saying, "I am your father," as a joke. I think I'm too much of a child because I still find that one kinda funny.

Then later on I made this comic series called ComiXone ("Comic Zone") starring various disconnected characters and fun comedic storylines, like the generic and silly superhero Super Stick Man, or the Toy Story parody Toys! about some action figures and dolls that try to fight the toddler that always ruins them, or Channel 5 News reports that always went badly. There was also a Teen Titans spinoff comic where I had my favorite character Terra come back because I disliked her getting written out in the TV show. I had gotten really into cartoons (and the early 00s were big into superhero cartoons), and then I also got into newspaper comic strips, really influencing the kinds of stories I wanted to make. It's probably evident even today that my roots weren't weird middle grades fantasy or isekai light novels, but weirdo cartoons like Jackie Chan Adventures and Rocko's Modern Life.

My writing on the internet started in 5th grade, when I began making sprite comics for the now-sadly-abandoned website Nintendo City. Almost all of my middle school comics are still around SOMEWHERE on the internet though, and if you really want to find them you probably can... Some of them are really embarrassing...

So I didn't do very much prose until high school aside from a few edgy fantasy/sci-fi stories that were always abandoned really quickly. Even in high school, most of my creative work was put into weird Homestuck fan projects (I did a lot of the storyboards for this really amazing flash animation, and it actually came out!). Finally, I had accidentally stumbled on some friends who invited me to join their collaborative writing project, and while that went nowhere in the end, that sparked me actually writing prose on a consistent basis, though it was almost all dumb.

And now I have a degree in Writing & Linguistics and I guess there's no turning back now. My only viable career path is to make sure my comics from 3rd grade are turned into feature length films.

I have no real reason like some of the people above, I really just did it because had an idea that I decided I wanted to remember and put out there, so I chose to write out. That's it really. I loved the idea, so I wrote it, and now I will continue to write because I I love my idea and because I owe that to the other people who love my idea. 

I got started writing pokemon fanfiction when I was very young. I liked to ship female gym leaders a lot so I wrote a lot of pokemon yuri, mainly Erika x Sabrina or girl trainer x Sabrina. From there I started writing original characters, mainly in fantasy war settings. I learned about web serials from reading Tales of MU, and I thought that the ability to write a very long-running story that people could follow for years would lend itself well to making the kind of story I'd been too afraid to commit to before: a gigantic war story with tons of perspective characters and day by day accounts of what happened. Ultimately I gave in to my most extravagant excesses with it and that continues to this day.

It's natural for me that if I read and watch a lot of stories that I write one myself too from time to time. Just like making music. (A pity my drawing isn't good enough for comics)

But if you ask me why I make up post-dystopian tales about an almost-extinct humanity in a robotic world, or about man-eating nymphs from a parallel world (that one is in Dutch) or songs called 'defenestrate your clutter' or 'Someone needs to mourn the stegodon'. It's just what comes out... The regular stuff doesn't work for me.

What essentially got me into writing was a love of Transformers, and an even greater love for the characters. Ironically though I hated most of the canon, and just wanted to rewrite the whole damn thing in a way that most made sense to me. So, after a few false starts, I began writing stories for the Heroic Decepticons about 3 years ago, and haven't looked back. Honestly before then I had no idea that I was even any good at writing, but I quickly improved as I got more and more into it.

What keeps me going up to now is first and foremost, my love of the stories/characters, which essentially write themselves. Most of my fictions I have no clue about what's going to happen until it happens, so it's almost as if I am reading my own stories at the same time that I am writing them! But nothing makes me happier or gives me more satisfaction, as a writer, than to affect my readers in a good way, and offer them something meaningful that they can take away with them. Lastly, I have huge dreams of one day being able to write officially for Transformers. Hey, one can dream...

Earliest Attempts: I started writing dark poems when I was in middle school and into high school. Those pieces will not see the light of day.

Fan Fiction: When I entered college, I wrote fan fiction, specifically a Ghost Hunt / Death Note crossover story on FanFiction(dot)Net and later an Ouran High School Host Club story on Wattpad. I put a lot of effort into those novels, but I found writing to another author's world too restricted for me, so I've pretty much sworn off fan fiction.

Poetry: When I joined Wattpad (March 2011), I wrote poem collections to hone my skills at stringing words together, starting with compiling old poems I wrote in high school and writing other poems later on. All of my poems (about 600 to 700 of them) are on Wattpad, and I still write poems now and then. The one I'm currently writing on Wattpad is Murderously Disturbed, a collection of narrative horror and dark fantasy poems. I have considered putting it on Quotev, but the formatting of the webpages isn't good for the stanzas I use.

Fiction: I started writing my own content when I joined FictionPress in December 2010, where I wrote a fragment of Huang Ying (2011), a historical Chinese vampire novel, which I was not ready for and left it incomplete. You see, I tended to have these crazy-ambitious ideas I wanted to write, but I just didn't have enough experience to pull them off and left them hanging. A few months after joining Wattpad, I wrote my first sustained effort at prose fiction, Behind the Mirror, a sequence of not-so-short occult detective stories, starting with "Behind the Mirror" (October 2012), the first story I managed to finish. I wrote two other stories for that collection, "Lilium's Ghost" (November 2012) and "Look Before You Touch" (January 2013). A year after that, I added a novella for that collection, "Dreamcatcher" (February 2014), in which I experimented with using 1st person and 3rd person in one story. Three years after that, I started a novelette for that collection, "A Family Interlude" (April 2017), but I got stuck in the 3rd part and have since left it incomplete. I hope one day to continue this series and bring it to this site, because I know it has potential, but right now it's on hold.

Besides Huang Ying, I tried tackling other novel projects, such as The Mirror Beyond the Void (2015) and The Late Bird's Tale (2016), but those stalled out pretty quickly. I even hand-wrote the first chapter of a novella, Varley Place (March 2017), and started another story sequence, Tales of the Floating World (December 2017), but both efforts stalled out, as well. I know these projects have potential, but right now, they're all on hold. All of these projects are on FictionPress, Wattpad, and Quotev.

After struggling with "A Family Interlude" in June 2017, I took a break from Behind the Mirror. I needed to write something different, and after watching Cardcaptor SakuraGonna Be the Twin-Tail!!MagikanoYumeriaTrinity Seven, and Black Rock Shooter, I got inspired to write Days of Blood and Roses on Wattpad in July 2017 for Camp NaNoWriMo. I aimed to write the first 50k words of that book during that month, and I actually did it. It was an all-out slog of words, but it was glorious! I have since posted all 22 chapters (so far) on this site for your reading pleasure.

The next month, though, my father went missing for three days because of his dementia, and my mom and I had to look for him. We called police and reported him missing, and they found him next to a church 7 miles away from the house. He was dehydrated and weak and had to stay in the hospital for about 4 days, then doctor's visits, etc. Life has pretty much caught up to me at that point, but I still continued writing Days of Blood and Roses sporadically from 2017 to 2018. After graduation, I made my New Year's resolution to finish the first draft of this book by the end of this year (2019), and from January to May of this year, I fulfilled that promise, writing 10 chapters, but life caught up to me again. My dad was kicked out of the daycare in April, and I had to take care of him, which cut down on my writing time. I suffered neck spasms in May and had to get checked by the doctor. My parents and I were involved in a car accident earlier this month (June), and though my dad and I weren't injured, my mom suffered a fracture in her foot and a fracture in her back, and now she'll have to be in a wheelchair for a while, and I have to take care of my mom and my dad, which has all but completely stopped me from writing. Just a few days ago, I received news that one of my nephews has died, and I'm pretty much tapping out right now. I'm going through more hell than I've experienced in my life, and I can't even write my story to escape the hell of everything that's been going on around me.

I'm Fox-Trot-9, and I've carried this moniker for ten years. I've played my part on four sites, including this one, and I just wanted to take this time to vent out these feelings in the most appropriate place I could find on this site. Writing is what I do, it's a part of who I am, and it's a part of why I'm here, but I'm more than that. I'm a son who loves his family, first and foremost, and a writer second. I'll become a published writer some day, but right now that and Days of Blood and Roses will have to wait.

--Foxy

I was a nonreader into my early 20's. Seriously, I probably hadn't read more than 20 full books in my entire life, and I thought I was clever for skimming / reading Spark Notes. I thought reading books was pretentious, and that reading was inferior to watching a movie or playing a video game. 

I did play a lot of RPGs though, notably KotoR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, WoW, and Final Fantasy. Since I wasn't reading a lot back then, I think these were how I first learned to appreciate good writing/stories. Growing up, a part of me always wanted to make my own RPG in my own fantasy world (along the lines of the ones listed above) A part of me knew this would never happen though because games like these requires teams of hundreds of people.

What originally got me into reading was Game of Thrones. I watched the first three seasons one summer and discovered there were more books that would cover the future seasons. I immediately picked those up and read all five because I simply had to know what happened next in the story. (Still waiting for Book 6, sadly. :P )

At that point, I realized that I enjoyed reading books in worlds/universes I was already familiar with. (Understandable for a new reader because your imagination has less work to do.) Game of Thrones was easy because I already knew what all the locations and characters looked like. Not to mention how to pronounce everything.

I got into the Star Wars EU next and worked my way through various series. the Thrawn trilogy, Darth Bane trilogy, etc. I also re-read some old favorites like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, as well as some books that became movies. Ender's Game, Divergent, Hunger Games, etc. While I had learned to appreciate reading more, I definitely believed that every "good" book had already been made into a movie or TV show, and there was no use branching out from there.

The next big turning point for me was Name of the Wind. Not only did I love this book, I loved it more than anything else I'd read before. This turned around my prejudice for movie-books, and I realized I could find a hidden gem anywhere. I read Stormlight Archive next, and that series felt more epic to me than any movie I'd ever seen, or any video game I'd ever played. Since then, I've been branching out more every year, reading classics, more sci-fi/fantasy, self-published books like Arcane Ascension and Cradle, and webnovels like Mother of Learning.

Anyway, back to the writing part. Like I said, I always wanted to make an RPG, but I knew it would never happen Still, I had all these stories in my head that I wanted to get out. And after I started appreciating books more, something clicked. I realized, "I'll probably never make a a game or even a movie. But a book? That's something I can actually do."

Wrote: I got into the Star Wars EU next and worked my way through various series. the Thrawn trilogy, Darth Bane trilogy, etc. I also re-read some old favorites like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, as well as some books that became movies. Ender's Game, Divergent, Hunger Games, etc. While I had learned to appreciate reading more, I definitely believed that every "good" book had already been made into a movie or TV show, and there was no use branching out from there.

The Star Wars EU! I stopped reading books as much in middle school because of how into the internet I had become, but the Star Wars EU really brought me back into it when high school started. The Thrawn trilogy, the James Luceno villains books, friggin' Michael Stackpole... I loved that stuff. I've been going through a lot of old EU stuff via audiobooks lately, and I'm thoroughly surprised by how legitimately good it all is. Star Wars is a one-of-a-kind franchise, and the main reason I became an author, really.