Re: Royal Road is Really Really Good.

So today I decided to check out wattpad and a bunch of these other sites I'd been hearing about over the years and honestly in comparison to here they are garbage.

Royal Road has a User Interface which is just above and beyond the rest so much that its ridiculous. (Love that lush art in the background)

Its easy for a new writer to find a following by simply writing good material. If you write good stuff people will read more chapters and the more new chapters there are the higher you will appear on searches for your categories. That's not even mentioning the glory that is the home page and the trending fictions list. Now I don't know what the rules are for becoming a trending fiction but very rarely has there been a weak fiction in that selection on the home page. Additionally the latest updates section lets you come across some unexpectedly brilliant fictions and I am aware when something is happening because there will be some swanky new art and an update from our amazing mods. (If you are reading this I love you guys)

Basically everything on this site is streamlined to either reading great original fictions or becoming part of this wonderful community and feeling the pressure to give back so you try write your own fictions~

I'm not really sure how forums threads work but I just wanted to make this one to let you all know that you've done a great job in making this beautiful website! x

I have to agree. I’ve been on many other writing sites myself, but RR is the best for new writers in gaining an audience quickly. For example, in a little less than a month, I’ve gained the same amount of followers on RR with little “promotion” than on the second best site for me where I promoted more, and it took since January to get to where I am. Additionally, I don’t find lots of poorly written material high up in the rankings merely because they post a lot.

The only thing I’d like to see more of though, is more active forums. I feel like it’s a tad too quiet. XD But I like the PM system, and I suppose part of the “silence” is due to that.

While the site is okay there are sites with better features than this one. The autosave where you read to in a chapter feature on FiMfiction so you can read partway through a chapter and it will bring you back to that point when you next click it, or its community 'group' feature where people can make collections of stories with specific elements and anyone can contribute. Or webnovel.coms infinite scrolling and tagging system. or wattpads system for getting work into the publishing and screenplay industry. 

I agree--I'm new here (a week or so) but my fiction has gotten quite a few more views that the other website I'm on already, and I've been over there for more than a month! It could be that what I'm writing is more suited to the audience over here, but it seems quite a bit easier to gain exposure. I'm also really enjoying how the site is set up. The achievements are an interesting addition and are making me want to write more/read more/post more etc.

@Mack Frantz
Not that I have a huge following at all or anything, but what seemed to work well for me was posting a chapter a day for almost a month before switching to once a week. That way, you get more exposure on the new releases.

@ExplosiveVent
True, more of other sites’ features could be added here to make RR better. There’s no one perfect writing site. However, webnovel’s tagging system really doesn’t work at all, at least, for originals which 90% of the time don’t even have tags.

@benemourne
True, those achievements are actually quite addictive and make me want to be more active. XD

Chryiss Wrote: The only thing I’d like to see more of though, is more active forums. I feel like it’s a tad too quiet.

Personally the reason I don't use the forums that often is because I am really unused to forums in general. They are kind of terrifying with all their rules and moderation and whatnot. Even if you do try to learn it can be overwhelming at times. There's little things as well such as people's join date being more prominent to my eye than the post date which makes me often jump to the conclusion that a post is very old/dead and not interacting with it in the first place.

I don't use it myself but I imagine, with the rise of discord, forums are losing their identity as the sole place to communicate and it begins to form a location to only ask questions or make complaints which in general would push people away.

I'm coming to like the forums but I'm still getting used to it. I don't know for certain how you can inspire more people to interact here but maybe just casually bringing it up in authors comments will get peoples to engage with it more?

Chryiss Wrote: The only thing I’d like to see more of though, is more active forums. I feel like it’s a tad too quiet.

Personally the reason I don't use the forums that often is because I am really unused to forums in general. They are kind of terrifying with all their rules and moderation and whatnot. Even if you do try to learn it can be overwhelming at times. There's little things as well such as people's join date being more prominent to my eye than the post date which makes me often jump to the conclusion that a post is very old/dead and not interacting with it in the first place.

I don't use it myself but I imagine, with the rise of discord, forums are losing their identity as the sole place to communicate and it begins to form a location to only ask questions or make complaints which in general would push people away.

I'm coming to like the forums but I'm still getting used to it. I don't know for certain how you can inspire more people to interact here but maybe just casually bringing it up in authors comments will get peoples to engage with it more?

@Scarlust

True, and the design of the forums is something to take in consideration too. I do feel like the replying method isn’t the best. I was just surprised by RR myself since this was the first forum where a post in one section would sit for days without a reply.

Discord is another form of communication, but it doesn’t always equate to interactiveness for all sites. Hmm, for a writing site it’s possibly more difficult. I’m not too sure either how one could encourage others to be more active. At a glance, it doesn't seem like these forums get visited much, too.