Re: Advice on Newly Started Story/Beta Readers?

I've got about 5,000 words done in my first try at a story, with 5 short chapters so far -- will probably get more lengthy as I go.  I figure I should have at least 15,000 words before I post it, 10-15 chapters.  Would I likely be able to get one or more beta readers to give advice?  I'm uncertain about all sorts of things, like the best way to set off text when people are having a conversation.  Need to go back and look at how my favorite fictions do it!

I'm going slowly, so it will be at least a week before I'm ready for a beta reader.  I have lots of more complicated story ideas, but for my first story I picked something I thought would be easier and flow more naturally, the familiar LitRPG genre.  My story is called "The Legendary Class".  The idea is that aeons ago, when humanity was on the brink of extinction, the now absent Gods gave 5 champions who became known as "the Titans" Legendary classes, who pulled humanity back from the brink.  To this day, every youngster dreams of acquiring a legendary class.  A few times in a generation, those dreams become reality...but the Gods no longer answer prayers, if they ever really did, and a legendary class isn't always a blessing.  The young hero will begin a fairly familiar journey, but with a number of twists planned and hopefully a dose of humor that people can relate too.  

I'm confused.  Where are my two replies?  They were deleted?

I'm at about 10,000 words now and would maybe be ready for an alpha reader soon if anyone has any interest or advice for how to find one?  Well, maybe I should have a lot more before bugging someone, don't know.  I can get to 20,000 within a week or so with what I have already planned.  More than that will be slower, need to do some deap plotting before I go past that.  

Also, is there a resource on where you can find free graphics to use for your cover?  I'm pretty clueless about that sort of thing.  

ArtNJ Wrote: I'm confused.  Where are my two replies?  They were deleted?

I'm at about 10,000 words now and would maybe be ready for an alpha reader soon if anyone has any interest or advice for how to find one?  Well, maybe I should have a lot more before bugging someone, don't know.  I can get to 20,000 within a week or so with what I have already planned.  More than that will be slower, need to do some deap plotting before I go past that.  

Also, is there a resource on where you can find free graphics to use for your cover?  I'm pretty clueless about that sort of thing.

Not sure, maybe you didn't post them? Your post number says #2, and deleted posts are still counted, so, if you posted and they were deleted, the above post would be #4. 

As for the above question, not really. You can either grab random pics from Google, pay an artist to make one, or make one yourself using sites like Canvas.

As the thread title implied, I’m just here to give general advice for new stories being uploaded.

Having a decent of amount of chapters before you begin is great. This way, you can post a chapter a day and have good, consistent exposure on the New Releases list as well as the new fictions one. Readers will also like the consistency, but if you slow down to a set schedule after the initial finished chapters, that’s fine too given you communicated this with readers.

Can’t help with the starting a convo advice; I can only say to remember that mouths aren’t the only ones that can ‘talk,’ so use gestures too.

Try reaching out to people through PM that you’ve seen on the forums that might be okay with being a beta reader. Or even offer to do it in return. People are more quiet on the forums, but PMs are effective for communication. I haven’t tried Discord for here, but that’s another possibility.

For free resources, I have a few sites that I listed in my cover making thread in my signature. It’s pretty simple finding non copyrighted images as long as you search ‘free images’ or ‘royalty free.’ In terms of the image(s) matching what you need, that’s another issue. If you won’t be greatly publicizing and or publishing the story into a book, then you technically can get away with any images found on Google. Well, as long as it’s not a super famous painting or actual cover for a popular book or something.

I can edit one for you too, but I’m not taking any cover art requests at this moment.
New Reply