Re: Same Characters for Different Stories

So this used to be quite the problem for me, and a friend recently came to me asking about my opinion on it. So I'd thought I'd ask here...

What's your opinions on using the same characters for different stories? I'm not saying sticking the same arcs into similar plots - I'm meaning using the same characters personality-wise and sometimes backstory-wise in, say, one story set in a modern world and another set in a fantasy world. Your characters might be college students in the modern world, but they may be peasants or royalty in the fantasy world. They maintain similar personalities in both, but they endure different problems and obstacles, develop differing relationships with each other, and otherwise go through an entirely different experience. They don't even have to be different genres either - maybe they're both in the modern world, but one focuses on them as college students while the other in say...post-apocalyptic.

Would you read two different stories that focus on the same characters?

Personally, I wouldn't mind that one bit, especially if I find myself attached to said characters. I've struggled with constantly thinking of new stories, but they'd always end up using the same characters - it always ended up being the case, no matter how hard I tried to fit new ones in. It's possibly why I've cycled through so many stories up to this point; I felt like I simply couldn't write two different stories with the same characters, because only one could be "canon". So that's probably half why I don't mind it so much. I thought I'd like to see other kinds of opinions on the subject, though.

kisikil Wrote: So this used to be quite the problem for me, and a friend recently came to me asking about my opinion on it. So I'd thought I'd ask here...

Would you read two different stories that focus on the same characters?

...I felt like I simply couldn't write two different stories with the same characters, because only one could be "canon". So that's probably half why I don't mind it so much. ...

Your sentences are contradicting each other so I am not sure where you stand.

kisikil Wrote: What's your opinions on using the same characters for different stories?

I'm gonna assume same characters as in, John from story 1 put in story 2. My opinions is meh. It's like an anime to me; a typical, cookie-cutter protagonist put in different stories with different coat paint on them. They're rich, they're poor, they're unpopular, they're super special, but still act the same.

I don't think there's nothing wrong with it. As long the story or plot that the characters have to go through is interesting.

batotit Wrote: Your sentences are contradicting each other so I am not sure where you stand.

I used to feel like I couldn't have two concurrent stories in the works with the same characters as I thought readers may not like that or find it bothersome, which led to me struggling with staying with only one plot line. Overtime, though, I realized I didn't need to worry about that so much, and now I dabble with other stories at the side while working with my main one! So now I don't worry about it, nor do I think others should either. Sorry if my wording was confusing.

Wrote: I don't think there's nothing wrong with it. As long the story or plot that the characters have to go through is interesting.

I agree! As long as the story's different and interesting, it doesn't really matter if said characters have already been used in another setting!
New Reply