Re: What do people think about slice of life and life sim tags?

I don't know if the tags have anything to do with it or if people just aren't interested in the premise, but at least in my limited experience slice-of-life is not a good way to get people to read your story here on Royal Road. :)

I'm writing a slice-of-life satire about a guy trapped in a manga, and haven't had much luck getting eyeballs on it. Based on the stats, there are about 100-200 readers (which actually makes me really happy), but only a fraction of them are followers, and practically no one bothers with ratings or reviews. Maybe if I were writing a slice-of-life litRPG xianxia epic...

Personally, some of my favorite works contain heavy slice-of-life elements, but I'm weird. Very Happy

Wrote: I don't know if the tags have anything to do with it or if people just aren't interested in the premise, but at least in my limited experience slice-of-life is not a good way to get people to read your story here on Royal Road. :)

I'm writing a slice-of-life satire about a guy trapped in a manga, and haven't had much luck getting eyeballs on it. Based on the stats, there are about 100-200 readers (which actually makes me really happy), but only a fraction of them are followers, and practically no one bothers with ratings or reviews. Maybe if I were writing a slice-of-life litRPG xianxia epic...

Personally, some of my favorite works contain heavy slice-of-life elements, but I'm weird. Very Happy

I agreed with this. I'm writing a series of sci-fi fantasy short stories that are only connected by the fact that they take place in the same universe. What I'm starting to realize, is that people want to get attached to a character, and continue to see them in each chapter. I do revisit characters, but not often enough, and sometimes, I just want to write a snapshot of daily life without conflict, but then it comes across as "Incomplete." Despite everything though, I don't plan on changing the way I'll write the stories because this is the best method for what I'm trying to achieve, and I think that eventually, it will reach people that will appreciate it. Just do what you love, or what works for your vision, and I think your people will find you... even if it takes a while :)

Well that's cool what both of you are doing.

I'm a bit curious about it. I'll have to look into both of your projects.

But I want to go to your comments.

What does trapped in a manga mean? What kind of story do you mean by that? (genre tags??)

And for only having a couple hundred readers, I think that's linked to the fact that Royal Road is aging. There were more readers last year with a drop, and more readers the year before that. 2 years ago you could put anything up and have massive readers fast. 

I think part of why it's changing is that a lot of people were getting mad that any jealous guy could slap a jealous 0.5 review on them. And nobody did anything, but it was a big deal because most the readers on this site are also authors too, so they were more turned off by it than they thought. 

Thus, this year getting a lower amount of readers I don't think is bad just because there's less than there was. 

Well that's my opinion. 

naosu Wrote: What does trapped in a manga mean? What kind of story do you mean by that? (genre tags??)

It's basically what it says on the tin; a high school slice-of-life story, except with the twist that the main character accidentally physically breaks the fourth wall and realizes he's the protagonist of a manga. I love manga/anime/light novels, but it has always bugged me how closely they adhere to tropes and I found myself wondering how Japanese culture and tropes would translate into an American setting with a meta-aware protagonist. So far it's lead to a lot of existential angst and at least one half-naked lady; the protagonist hasn't quite figured out how best to fight back yet.

naosu Wrote: There were more readers last year with a drop, and more readers the year before that. 2 years ago you could put anything up and have massive readers fast.

Thanks for the historical perspective! I'm completely new to the site; basically just chose it to publish on because it was more polished and offered more tools for authors than any others that I found seemed to. Guess I missed the gold rush; ah well. Very Happy

Personally, I don't really mind "only" having 100 regular readers; I started publishing here mainly to force myself to write regularly, and now I have 100 reasons to keep doing so. It's just a little discouraging to look at stuff published around the same time but within the RoyalRoad-approved genres (litRPG, etc.) with far bigger reader bases.
New Reply