Re: Typical RR chapter word count

Not a clue about "typical for the site", because there's a great many people on this site who all have very different visions for their chapters.

I like to keep my chapters around 2.5k words each. Sometimes I end up with 1500, other times it's 3500, but I try to average 2.5k chapters... they're big enough to get important events done, while small enough to be digested in maybe 10 minutes for most readers, to prevent boredom.

Wrote: Not a clue about "typical for the site", because there's a great many people on this site who all have very different visions for their chapters.

I like to keep my chapters around 2.5k words each. Sometimes I end up with 1500, other times it's 3500, but I try to average 2.5k chapters... they're big enough to get important events done, while small enough to be digested in maybe 10 minutes for most readers, to prevent boredom.

Wrote: The recommendations I saw was for 1.5 to 2.5K words, making each chapter into a short, exciting story with a cliffhanger or something.

Mine are all like 5000+ words, with a lot of them even going over 6000...  (¯―¯٥)
Well, I don't know what the average is for stories that release every day/every other day (I would assume around 2000 words like Tana and Domi said), but I have a weekly release schedule (or at least try to have one) for my story so I think my chapters are pretty long compared to most other stories'.

Aye, around 2.000 seems to be the recommendation. It's a bit of a troubled question. Ideally, one would write a chapter until a certain story beat has been met and satisfied (as obran hinted at). In practice, you're dealing with a system that gives you a very limited time window on the frontpage per release. Naturally, if you release more chapters, you get more frontpage exposure.
As a bonus, releasing shorter chapters on a fast schedule easily inflates the chapter count. Some readers gauge a story by how many chapters there are. Furthermore, from personal experience, it's also possible to overwhelm your readers. In my case, I had a frequent release schedule of about 4.000 words per day. After a while I noticed an odd phenomenon in that newer chapters absolutely tanked in readers until I considerably slowed down - readers couldn't keep up.

So yeah, keep it around 2.000, it's a sensible choice.

New Reply