Re: Tana's Week of Reviews

I'll be doing one review a day for a week. Which I anticipate is going to get a lot of interest, so I'll be laying down ground rules.

1- No flash in the pan stories. If you don't have 10k written words, get back to me later. 10k words is less than a week of work for most writers, I can do it in two days with proofreading and maintaining a cohesive story. If you're going to ask me for part of a week's effort, I'm going to demand the same of you. Unless you've got a short story which concludes in under 10k words. That sounds neat.

2- I will be reading those first 10k words. No more (unless I really like it, then I'll be back later), then you get your review. 

3- This is not a review swap. You will give me a 5 star vote no questions asked. That's a joke. I'm joking. It's sad I have to say that. I don't like review swaps, I've tried them, they feel plastic and fake to me. More like a circle-jerk popularity contest where they're expecting you to give them a good review for your good review, or being afraid to give a poor review in case of retaliation. In other words: like the Oscars. And thus worthless. I'm reviewing, no strings or expectations other than following my rules.

But if I give you a poor review and suddenly get a .5 star rating to mar my thus far perfect score... I'll know it was you...

4- Speaking of poor reviews. I am a picky bitch. I like to say "tough, but fair". I have a love for a wide variety of genres, and back before I started devoting myself to writing, I'd put away something like 4 or 5 novels a week. I have standards forged of going through a lot of fiction (some far better than others). I'm not asking for your novel to be on par with Discworld, but I'm not going to be happy if it's Twilight-tier. If your story reads like wish fulfillment, I will hate it.

5- To some extent, this will be first come first serve. But the following things will push you to the front or back of the line as situation demands:

A: I will be favoring people who do not yet have any comprehensive reviews. Whether you've been given star rankings will have no impact, but part of this is my hope to help newer or more obscure writers get their first bump in visibility. As best as I can help, at least.
B: If they're poorly written (as opposed to just unfavorable) reviews, I'll probably feel bad and give you a pity nudge. No promises.
C: Fanfics, back of the line. Especially if it's a fandom I don't know. Same with stories meant to "reimagine" more famous works.

6- Don't put a comprehensive explanation of your story down when you ask for a review. A link to the story is all you need here. If your foreword and first chapter can't speak for themselves, you should fix them.

7- One review a day, wait your turn. If I get more done in a day, that's great. If I get swamped, this is a low priority project for me so you'll just have to wait a little longer.

And that about covers it. Let's try to help a few newbies out and say thanks to this lovely site for being the most convenient story host I've ever tried.

Wrote:
Durrendal Wrote: http://royalroadl.com/fiction/4802/how-to-survive-a-summoning-101

Dur, you gon get roasted. Don't get me wrong, you got a good story, but your early work is the weakest link in the story.

Considering he has, like, 50 reviews already... there's a good chance he won't get reviewed by me. I mean, sure, if there's literally nobody left and I still have time, but I am putting priority on the newbies, and this is the definitional opposite.

On the plus side, The Heroes of Opal looks to be breaking my streak. Still only on Chapter 1, but I like what I see thus far.

Wrote:
Wrote:
Durrendal Wrote: http://royalroadl.com/fiction/4802/how-to-survive-a-summoning-101

Dur, you gon get roasted. Don't get me wrong, you got a good story, but your early work is the weakest link in the story.

Considering he has, like, 50 reviews already... there's a good chance he won't get reviewed by me. I mean, sure, if there's literally nobody left and I still have time, but I am putting priority on the newbies, and this is the definitional opposite.

On the plus side, The Heroes of Opal looks to be breaking my streak. Still only on Chapter 1, but I like what I see thus far.

Fair enough. Xd 

On the plus side, thick skin. Xd

Wrote:
StenDuring Wrote: Sitting this one out with some popcorn Very Happy

... Contemplates reviewing one of your stories just to smack you for your cowardice...

Oh I wouldn't mind, but with publishing dates from 2015 (or is it 2016?) and onwards I guess I fall into the same category as Durrendal Wink

I did my fair share of review swaps back in the days. I don't think people remember me as all five stars reviews Very Happy