Re: Villainous Deeds in a Fantasy Setting

Hi, so I'm writing about a dastardly villain, but it's not as easy as I thought. I love not using the anti-hero tag since my character will not be saving anyone, but I am having trouble thinking of villainous things for my character do. My character has no moral values but is also uninterested in 'sexual content'. I made him a stone construct because I don't want to write about rape, but I can't think of many different villainous things he can do in a fantasy world. Any creative and outlandish ideas are welcome! 

Example: There is a sealed Demon/evil/Mummy(love the movies...) and gets released.......plus ultra......

I don't know anything about the fantasy world your villain inhabits. But one question pops into my head: Does that world have powerful mind-control magic? For instance, could the villain telepathically brainwash people, or use "love potions" or whatever, to make them eternally devoted to him, willing to obey his every command, and prepared to die to protect him, and so on and so forth? Mothers and fathers could be very upset at suddenly losing a good son (or daughter) when the villain arbitrarily decided to grab that person and make him or her into a fanatically loyal bodyguard, or cook, or whatever -- with their duties no longer allowing them to spend much time visiting their families, and even if they did visit, they might sound mentally-handicapped instead of having the same personalities they did before. 

Such a power would not need to be used in sexually-charged situations, since you said you don't want him to come across that way, but it is still likely to remind your readers of "rape" at some level, and thereby make the readers despise him. (I have read professionally published fiction where such mind-control techniques are referred to, by angry characters, as "mind rape" or words to that effect.) 

This is just the first possibility that pops into my head. If making your villain into a "brainwasher" doesn't fit with the world he lives in, and the things he will be doing in your plot, say so, and I'll try to think of something else.

Nope, anything goes. I just need ideas. I'll worry about implementing the power or event when I get to it. Thanks! For mind control, I guess he can learn it or acquire an artifact that helps him.....somewhere in the future. Don't know, it's interesting. If you control a general to launch an unauthorized attack on another country, it can lead to war...ect. I like it! Also, the goal of my main character is to wipe out most of the world.....not domination but destruction... should have mentioned that...

Don't forget about minor offences he can throw around to enhance his (poor) character. I'm talking about the three lines stuff you can insert in longer scenes.

Short changing people when money is exchanged.

Pinching a kid when no-one sees, just because he can.

Petty theft.

Vandalism.

Lying for no other reason than getting someone (potentially totally unknown) in trouble.

Telling the truth, for no other reason...

Petty betrayal.

Inducing jealousy, for the fun of it. You know, "Johanna, you're just as beautiful with your clothes on."

Not waiting to empty his bladder...

Giving other people exactly the wrong encouragement at exactly the wrong time; "Don't worry, John, the guards are way too lazy to notice if you steal out after curfew."

And so on and so forth.

I think it would help to know -why- he became a villain in the first place. What is his motive? For what reason is he committing crimes? Why is he wanting to make everyone else miserable? Villains commit crimes sure, but they always serve a purpose. Banks are robbed because they need money to fund their projects. Living beings are turned into mana batteries because hes trying to perform some insane ritual to summon some old one or to make himself all powerful. Giving us some direction by sharing why he is a villain in the first place will help us give better suggestions for potential crimes.

I like the thing about him being a jerk in general......tripping old people, stealing ice cream from kids etc sounds about right...

about the villains motive....well.......here's a link to novel page.....https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/22517/executioner
You don't need to read it but the synopsis is pretty accurate even though it's short. He is an mc with low eq and is offered a wish in return for purging most of a fantasy world's population. Hope that helps and thank you for helping me.

P.S. Also, listing fantasy races is also helpful. I've already introduced humans and wiped elves out almost completely... I don't like elves. I know of beast~people ish things and dwarves...maybe gnomes and merfolk kind of things?

pipedream Wrote: Hi, so I'm writing about a dastardly villain, but it's not as easy as I thought. I love not using the anti-hero tag since my character will not be saving anyone, but I am having trouble thinking of villainous things for my character do. My character has no moral values but is also uninterested in 'sexual content'. I made him a stone construct because I don't want to write about rape, but I can't think of many different villainous things he can do in a fantasy world. Any creative and outlandish ideas are welcome! 

Example: There is a sealed Demon/evil/Mummy(love the movies...) and gets released.......plus ultra......

Torturing, mutiliating and humiliating others does not have to have an ejaculation component. Just take out the sexual arousal, and keep everything else if that’s the only thing that puts you off, make it personal, and applied to characters you describe closely enough for the hurt to feel like a personal tragedy 

However, if you want epic fantasy vs grim fantasy villain, go by numbers, burning uncounted little villages with nameless not developed archetypical hags or orphans cursing the name or dying fast.

If you want specific examples of savagery, look at the list of debaucheries ascribed to someone from history, like Vlad Tepesh who has to his name an accusation of roasting children to forcefeed to their mothers, cutting and roasting the wives’ breasts to feed to the husbands prior to execution of a specific lot of traitors. 

Usually, the images of inescapable, prolonged and public death will also highlight the cruelty of the villain, for example throwing people in the frozen river, and hacking at them if they try to climb out on ice, until they all freeze to death.

I disagree with the petty things. Pinching kids and stirring up trouble for no reason is petty bullshit. It's something a high school bully does, then later goes on to work in a cubical. 

Your villian wants to destroy the world, but is uninterested in sex, so you made him stone construct. Why is that necessary? What about being made of stone is the ONLY thing keeping your dude from raping? Why can't he have morals that linger from childhood that prohibit that one thing even while he enslaves and tortures people? But really, since he's uninterested in sex, why do you need another reason for him not to rape? Just don't have him do it. Maybe he's asexual, or if he does like sex, maybe he likes SEX, and not RAPE. 

Some villianous things you could have the baddie do would be to murder people for petty reasons, but not to take any interest in it. It's boring. Show exactly how mundane he sees the ending of another life to drive home how bad he is. I loved the previous example of Vlad Tepesh's atrocities, so keep that in mind, but alter it and make it your own. Have him need to perform a spell that requires the eyeballs of an elven child, a dwarven child, and a human child. Maybe your protagonists find the kids in a cell, and you can describe the exact horrific aftereffects as the light falls upon the kids for the first time in days. They don't see the light, of course, they don't squint or shrink away, but maybe they hear the door open and scramble forward to the bowl where they're used to their slop being dumped, and as they come into the light, your heroes see the gaping, open caverns in their faces...

The most horrific and shudder-inducing villanous act I've seen from a baddie came from our last D&D game. I immediately wrote it into the villian's backstory in my novel. It involves eyeballs.