Re: Ideal spacing of book intervals?

So I wondered if anyone had advice on the ideal spacing of book intervals?

By this, I do NOT mean by chapter intervals.

So if someone is releasing stories in a way to have the ideal spacing to carry the wave of popularity and momentum from one book to the next in a series, what would be the ideal time period between releases? 

This is hard to figure out because first off its a LOT of work to finish a book. You can't do it within a day. You also need time for editing, art, building and story boards. But you also don't want to wait too long after the preceding book because people's attention spans only last so long. They can forget after awhile. 

So...you can see there's a bit of two variables from opposite sides coming together right? 

Anyways, curious for any thoughts on this. 

Thank you

I don't think there's any ideal timing, honestly. The best timing is whatever allows you to get your books finalized and released without burning out or disappearing for too long.

I suspect that what's more important is building a dedicated readerbase, and having some way to get into contact with them when you have a new project available. If you've got someone who likes your stuff, it's not going to matter how long it takes you to release things as long as they can discover your new releases.

Not sure that's too helpful for Royal Road, specifically, though, and it only really applies if you've built a base of readers (as opposed to having a revolving door of first time readers).

Truth? Pretty much immediately. Hollywood ain't good for much, but it knows how to market. Or did know how, at any rate.

There's a reason they were making the three LoTR movies all but simultaneously. Why they filmed half the Pirates of the Caribbean movies while the predecessor was still being aired in theaters.

The faster you churn out, the more popularity you retain.

Unless you churn out unforgivably terrible garbage, in which case... well... still worked for Twilight.

So the answer to your question is ASAP. For the story and popularity. The only question, really, is how you-the-writer handles the stress and complexity of the process. You are a machine, and all machines break if pushed too hard. None of us have any way of knowing your stress tolerances.
New Reply