Re: EBook font advice needed! (Calibri or ...?)

Hi beautiful people, readers, and authors both!

So I need a bit advice about kindle ebook readers in peoples experiences. 

Here's the problem...

My family member tells me he bought my book on Amazon, but then tells me the font is off or something? He says that its got spaces in letters mid word or a few minor things like that. Some of the problems are real editing problems where I'd missed them. But then I am going after them and have gone after most of them. However, it looks like maybe some of the mistakes are really mine, but some may be a problem with certain fonts on kindle ebook readers etc.

Does anyone know about this? 

What is the ideal font for like an ebook reader? Are there some fonts you've confirmed as looking odd?

I admit that some fonts I like and don't like. I kind of like 'Calibri' style font in how it looks when I type stuff. But when I do some fonts typing in word or cough cough 'alternate word similar programs that are legal', I do see that sometimes when I write a word on them in Calibri it makes it look like there's a space between certain letter combinations when there actually isn't. 

This is making me rethink the next step and trying to figure out how to deal with this issue. 

I'd like to see what people can offer for advise on this issue. 

Also I put up a new book cover yesterday for Kidnapped to Another World! Please feel free to enjoy it! 

Lakstoties Wrote: Honestly, I'd recommend not specifying any font and strip out as much special formatting as possible.  Keep it very simple so your settings don't fight with a reader's settings.

That's sound advice. With the variance of readers and user configurations, any custom layout will run into trouble. The best bet for compatibility is to keep it as simple as possible and always work with formatting marks on if you're working in Word. Keep in mind that Word will stuff absolutely abhorrent nonsense into your layout. This is good enough for most cases but a nightmare for any kind of professional output.

This is especially true for exports to ebook formats because any automatic conversion tool will drag along the unseen layout notations and cause even a simple layout to be excessively over-defined. Result: Glitches and oddities. Don't underestimate this. Are you sanitizing your export? Weird spacing issues can often be solved by simply wiping out the word format nonsense.
If that doesn't fix it, how did you set up your text? Block? That will always invite spacing issues as programs try their best to stretch, skew and hyphenate words, just to fit the block format. This can lead to odd spaces between letters. To make it work often requires careful input by hand and is generally done when there is a single target output format, not several hundred of them. Some programs, such as LaTeX get reasonably close to a satisfying result but require a significant uptick in work-load for the author, since it isn't GUI friendly. Plus... each reader will mess it up anyways. If you're using block-format, once again: Keep it simple. It can work if you have almost zero layouting and leave all of it to the reader.

Your next problem comes from setting a specific font - a proprietary one at that. Chances are that readers don't have native support for Calibri. If you're lucky, they fall back to the metric compatible Carlito font. More likely, they'll just default to whatever base font they've set and work from there. If you keep your layout simple, this works well. If you have created a layout for your book specifically with Calibri in mind - do enjoy. You could, in theory, embed the font into your e-book but at that point, you're going to have to deal with licensing.

In short:
* Work with Formatting Marks on, see whether you included double spaces.
* Sanitize your export. Remove errant formatting. 
* Apply the KISS Principle. Reader tools will mess with it and fail horribly.
* Longterm: Learn HTML, create the file by hand. It's actually less work than hammering your head against automated tools and maximizes compatibility.

Wow.

Thanks!

You guys are wonderful.

I think this is part of the problem. And it does explain a lot. I knew something was wrong because people were saying my stuff was 'great story' but needs editing, even after I'd gone over stuff sometimes as many as 7 or 8 times. 

I was exporting. I'm not sure what you mean by sanitizing as a process? Can you explain that? The ebook readers then, do they have a default font layout? Am I supposed to use a default font also like Times New Roman or something? Is one particular font universally compatible for most people? (If this is the case, I will have to be a convert because picking a weird font is messing with the layout for sure.) I'm trying to figure where I should go back to at this point. 

What do you suggest now? 

I have so much work to do now...

Also; let's say I upload something as e-book for people to download, and then they buy or download it, and then I change it again. Does it automatically change on their end also to be better with the improvements I'd made also? Or does it stay stagnant? (I can see pros and cons for both).  

New Reply