Re: Finally, I feel like I'm back home again.

After taking a year off for medical reasons, I finally returned to RoyalRoad to start and new story, and eventually restart my old ones again.  Lots of things had changed in the past year.  It seems as if folks comment a lot less on chapters (not even one "Thank you for the chapter" yet), and written reviews are virtually non-existent.

10 folks rate my newest story 4.92 stars on average, but leave absolutely no feedback...

And then I get my first written review!  

0.5 stars -- for "lack of decent synopsis".

0.5 stars!  The worst thing ever!!

The synopsis didn't interest the guy, so he didn't bother to read any more, therefore, I've succeeded in writing the worst possible story ever.  Why, just think what he would've rated it, if my grammer was bad.  Or I wrote all in one paragraph with no line breaks.  Or I used ALL CAPS AND NO PUNCTUATION.  OrIhadnoideawhatthespacekeywas....

0.5 stars, from a guy who doesn't even look paste the cover to glance at the story inside.

Now, I finally feel like I've return home to RoyalRoad.com.  πŸ˜

Aye.  I'm used to it.  I actually found it rather amusing.  

After all, who goes into a book store, chooses a book from the shelf, decides they don't like the synopsis, and then writes a book review on it??

My style is a "write as I go, let the story develop itself as it will" type.  I don't know where it's going, or what it's going to become, until it becomes it.  I *never* title a chapter, until after its written.  I *dont* write a detailed synopsis of a story, until after it's  finished.  A synopsis is a brief summery of a story.  How can you write that, without knowing what direction the plot is going to take?

Here's their complaint:

While I appreciate the detailed content warning, the Synopsis tells me absolutely nothing about the characters, the premise, or the setting for this story. 

Sharing just the character names with no context supplied except 'it's just a dream' makes a horrible first impression and helps no one decide wheather or not they might be interested in the story. 

And yet, by the review, isn't it plain to see they're not interested in the story?  The synopsis *DID* it's job -- it failed to draw their interest, thereby helping them choose to NOT read the story.

And yet...  It's worth a 0.5 rating for them NOT being drawn into reading it.  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It's almost as funny as having a character rating of 0.5 because my heroine *got a haircut*.

Not the worst crits I've seen.  This is Royal Road after all.  I saw a "MC went from I'm a smart strategic dude with a good moral compass to completely pussy whipped beta cuck in one chapter" just a couple of days ago on a fiction I was reading.  

My own fiction gets a lot of "The grammar is terrible" which is nowhere near as insulting as these random troll douche bags.

Darkbringer Wrote: After taking a year off for medical reasons, I finally returned to RoyalRoad to start and new story, and eventually restart my old ones again.  Lots of things had changed in the past year.  It seems as if folks comment a lot less on chapters (not even one "Thank you for the chapter" yet), and written reviews are virtually non-existent.

The same thing happened on other sites as well. People on the internet tends to comment less on a story these days (although there are some exception).

Oh, is this the topic where we exchange anecdotes about odd reviews and feedback? I've got one of those too. I got "****ing soyboy vegan agenda" per private message, along with a bunch of insults, followed by an anonymous 1 Star Review the same day. My crime? Releasing a chapter where one of the two mains is allergic to meat. Yeah. Okay. Right. Uh huh. I ain't even mad.

Back onto the main topic, I can't say I've read any of your stuff but I'll give it a try some time. I've read some of the reviews you've gotten and they've already managed to entertain.

I have one 0.5 rating for my series, so I guess the same person must have come by.  A little annoying, since I believe that as much as one should work to earn a 5/5, one should equally "work" to earn a 0.5/5.  I don't know, but I'd expect a 0.5/5 fiction to be a grammatically incomprehensible, incoherent, psychotic stream of thought, trope-embarrassing, literary shit stain on the bed sheets of humanity, mess of text.  Something you should earn, ya know?

Though, I'm really amused when comments complain about certain elements of the "main character".  (Technically, yes, I guess he's the main character, but he's more of a plot reference point than anything.)  So, I analyze and investigate it more.  Get a bit confused as this is the first time I've seen such a complaint (I've been posting the series for close to two years on Reddit).  Then, I read up on that user's favorites and it makes sense.  Sorry, I'm not writing a LitRPG, VR-Game, Reincarnation, and so forth MC Empowerment/Cultivation/Wish-Fulfillment piece.  There's far better writers who can handle all those a lot better than I can...  Go read them.

Admittedly, it did give me pause to think about some elements for the future, but...  Gotta love it when people try to pigeon hole your work into one a few categories, then get frustated when it doesn't fit.

Wrote: And lately, for not updating after i announced i was taking a break. 

So, yeah, this is RRL. Welcome back.

Now this one amused me.  It reminded me of the 0.5 rating I was given on Winter's Tale for "focusing too much attention on the characters real life, and not enough on the game they played".

Winter's tale is tagged, "Slice-of-Life".

My Slice-of-Life story focuses too much on the character's lifes, and my Horror story is too scary...  I don't know whether to take those to mean I suck as a writer, or if they're the best reviews I've ever gotten and ones I should be proudest of.  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Darkbringer Wrote: Now this one amused me.  It reminded me of the 0.5 rating I was given on Winter's Tale for "focusing too much attention on the characters real life, and not enough on the game they played".

Winter's tale is tagged, "Slice-of-Life".

My Slice-of-Life story focuses too much on the character's lifes, and my Horror story is too scary...  I don't know whether to take those to mean I suck as a writer, or if they're the best reviews I've ever gotten and ones I should be proudest of.  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I just imagine these are the people that look at a bag labeled "Dead Dove", open it, and are baffled by the accuracy.

I have just started writing here but am definitely finding some weirdness going on with my fiction. Not in the review section, but in the chapter views. For some reason I am finding that some later chapters have more views than earlier ones with one standout having a 50% drop from the prior chapter.

Yet the one after it has almost the same number of views and would indicate excellent reader retention. I have no idea what is going on.

Mindaugas Wrote: I have just started writing here but am definitely finding some weirdness going on with my fiction. Not in the review section, but in the chapter views. For some reason I am finding that some later chapters have more views than earlier ones with one standout having a 50% drop from the prior chapter.

Yet the one after it has almost the same number of views and would indicate excellent reader retention. I have no idea what is going on.

Was in the recent update list for longer/in a busier time?

I've got a reader right now who is going through and leaving comments correcting my grammar. Lol. I'm actually really surprised that they're not finding more. It's giving me the opportunity to go back through and fix it.

I don't have any reviews yet, and only a couple of ratings. I do wish though that they made it mandatory to leave a comment with your rating, because I got a 4.5, and it's bugging me why I didn't get that last .05......

I had been on hiatus from RR for a couple of months due to unforeseen circumstances. And for the lack of better words, I dreaded to be back. I just don't feel as connected as how I think it should be. 

Trolling reviews one side, I find it to be unrewarding. And like a post above me, I had stopped caring. I am still writing and working on my story, but I just did not want to post it here just yet. Once I'm done with my major arc, I'll most probably double/triple host it somewhere else. 

To those who do come back even after all that, I bid you welcome. For me, sometimes I doubt myself why should I even be here (not the forum, mind you) posting my story and then have to face a firing squad just because they could. I rather spend my time writing to my utmost imaginations rather than to spend countless of days and nights trying to 'educate' people how to read.

Am I overthinking and over-exaggerating things? Maybe... but then again this is how I feel when I open RR's website. 
New Reply