Re: Review Swap: This story is a combination of innocent + grimdark (14 chapters)

Here is my story: The Dungeon Of A Forest God

The story starts with innocent stuff, but it quickly escalates to a gore and grimdark one with an extensive torturing scene at chapter 14. That is why I got 2 readers ragequitting and giving me 2.5 stars after I posted the torturing chapter even though I already tagged gore and grimdark in the story.

My request is: if you like to read a grimdark story, please help me review this story after reading until chapter 14 so that my new readers won't misunderstand that it's an innocent story.

Note: the dungeon stuff are still yet to appear.

Re: Review Swap: This story is a combination of innocent + grimdark (14 chapters)

Hmm. I did the same thing as you in my fiction. Back in the day, I slapped on a warning at the top of the description. 

That said, people will rate you low no matter what. There is one thing or the other that will trigger some people. Don't pay too much heed as long as you are telling the story you want to tell and it didn't violate TOS.

Who was doing the torturing? Was it done to MC? Or was MC the one tortured?

Durrendal Wrote: Hmm. I did the same thing as you in my fiction. Back in the day, I slapped on a warning at the top of the description. 

That said, people will rate you low no matter what. There is one thing or the other that will trigger some people. Don't pay too much heed as long as you are telling the story you want to tell and it didn't violate TOS.

The villain is the one being tortured

Wrote:
Durrendal Wrote: Hmm. I did the same thing as you in my fiction. Back in the day, I slapped on a warning at the top of the description. 

The villain is the one being tortured

Mmm. People usually like those so I think except a few stray low ratings, you won't be getting much flak for it.

BigMartyrs Wrote: I am having similar trouble with Milton. I will read to (at least) chapter 14 of yours if you can read up to chapter 16 of mine (that is were the flip happens). Let me know if you are up for it and I will start reading!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had sent you a PM that I agree to your term and I've started reading your novel. Not sure if you see it or not?

Readers posting punish-reviews might explain the heavy beating my story is taking lately. It's interesting that no matter how upfront one is about these things, that people still seem to read it and then get angry when the thing they were warned about actually happens. 

@BigFatSeal, if you want, we can swap reviews too. I'm a fellow grimdark writer hammered by anonymous reviews. I'm not expecting you to read up to any spot, just til where you feel you've got a rounded opinion of the story. Let me know.

Felias Wrote: Readers posting punish-reviews might explain the heavy beating my story is taking lately. It's interesting that no matter how upfront one is about these things, that people still seem to read it and then get angry when the thing they were warned about actually happens. 

@BigFatSeal, if you want, we can swap reviews too. I'm a fellow grimdark writer hammered by anonymous reviews. I'm not expecting you to read up to any spot, just til where you feel you've got a rounded opinion of the story. Let me know.

Now I got 3 stories to read and review swap. Is it fine if I place yours after the list?

Durrendal Wrote: I'd like to review swap as well. Any takers? That said, the review from my side will come at fag end of November due to outstanding review obligations and Nanowrimo

Sure, here. Just had a quick look and it seems like something enjoyable to read. I'll take my time going through and will formulate my thoughts, once I'm ready. Like I said above, I don't mind if it takes some time and I've got no expectation that everything will be read. 

Wrote:
Durrendal Wrote: I'd like to review swap as well. Any takers? That said, the review from my side will come at fag end of November due to outstanding review obligations and Nanowrimo

I might be free around that time, but do you mean to How to Survive a Summoning 101? That's a long one here.

yep, that's the one. You can just read in parts. The later parts are much better since I got better at my craft but by then I'll probably be able to fix the first chapters as well. If you want a midway point to stop, Chapter 15 is good I guess?

Felias Wrote:

Sure, here. Just had a quick look and it seems like something enjoyable to read. I'll take my time going through and will formulate my thoughts, once I'm ready. Like I said above, I don't mind if it takes some time and I've got no expectation that everything will be read.

Definitely!