Re: Is there a genre for this type of book?

A novel that focuses on the research and advancement of something imaginary such as magic, so not a book about a mage per say although the main character could be one, but primarily on how the magic works or what types there are and discoveries therein.

I guess a simplified way of saying what I'm asking is to think of what a scientist does with research in real life and just apply it to a fantasy novel or whatever setting you want really.

Every good book about magic has a magic system.  As to whether or not there are books entirely about magic research, I can’t think of any off hand, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.  The problem I could see is that aa book simply about research is probably a pretty dull book.  People want to read about character growth, interaction, and living.  Action and adventure and romance.  If you canfit this into the story of the discovery of a spell, go ahed.  Otherwise, do what most people do and write a fiction and i clude the research in it.

obran Wrote: Every good book about magic has a magic system.  As to whether or not there are books entirely about magic research, I can’t think of any off hand, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.  The problem I could see is that aa book simply about research is probably a pretty dull book.  People want to read about character growth, interaction, and living.  Action and adventure and romance.  If you canfit this into the story of the discovery of a spell, go ahed.  Otherwise, do what most people do and write a fiction and i clude the research in it.

I'll try my hand at writing my own although I'm not sure on how far my imagination takes me in the depth of the magic system.

Durrendal Wrote: I'm reading one right now with a very interesting magic system. The MC is a magic researcher so lots of magic system exploration. Heck, they have a full thesis paper, peer review, magic journal publishing system in detail.

It's called Throne of Magical Arcana. Though it is by a Chinese author, it is absolutely western in style.

Thank you I'll definitely look into it.

There's definitely a genre for that type of book. It's an interesting topic to focus on. I suggest you make magical research the protagonists passion, being only a part of the plot. If you focus too much on the research side of things it will feel too much like an encyclopedia. To avoid this, make sure you have a good balance between plot, world and character. Explore the magic system through the MC's eyes, don't info dump.

You shouldn't have a hard time tying these three things together. First thing that comes to mind is that through his research the MC discovers something new and very valuable/dangerous about magic. Because of this, the power houses of the world hunt him and his technology.

Hope this helps.

SRWeaver Wrote: While my genre case is different, I'm loving that there isn't vitriol giving to people that ask such questions. You don't realize how much that means to me, as a cross-genre writer.

To answer your question specifically, I don't know of any off hand, but I just joined. I can keep an eye out of you want.

Yes,I wanted to ask this ever since I saw the Hemato-Tomato chapters in update lists. What is a Guillotine-Western? Google is drawing a blank here.

New Reply