Re: What things make you quit reading a novel after serveral chapters?

I have had Kindle Unlimited for about a year, and have lost count of the number of novels I have deleted 30% or more of the way through.

I can handle spelling errors or grammatical malfeasance, as long as the story is good. 

What really seems to turn me off a novel.

1. The recent (last 10 years or so) emasculated/ whiney/ emo MC. I swear some of these guys would need half an hour to decide what to have for lunch!

2. The MC is older than dirt but talks/acts like a 15 yr. old, or the 15 yr. old that talks like they are 30. And the worst are the ones that bounce back and forth.

3. The MC is a supposed to be a real life Jason Borne, then keeps derping things up just to make the plot follow the outline. (I am looking at you C.M Carney!)

4. A strong male or female lead that somehow turns into a hysterical teenager halfway through the novel.  The once intelligent character you were starting to like, turns into someone you want to slap the crap out of.

5. And probably the worst one lately, the MC life is such a total disaster ANYBODY else would have offed themselves years ago. 
Daniel Schinhofen did a great job, with his character being tormented and broken. Most will agree that puddles4263 has done very well with Randidly's stubbornness and trust issues.  However, some of the stuff I have come a crossed recently is just so depressing. It does not feel like the MC is overcoming something. It just feels like the MC is to stupid to die.

6. The whole dufus MC the just falls into a harem and everything is fine. (Yeah right)  I have no problem with a harem, but if MC doesn't have to work for it, or if there is no reason for it, everything just falls flat.  If he just runs around grabbing them like Pokémon, and they go "tee hee! Okay!" it makes no sense. Rules free VRMMO makes sense, they are slaves.  Sensual Tamer makes sense, it is custom and necessary. 

I could go on, but I am interested in others opinions.

Okay, rant off. I'm out. 

Re: What things that make you quit reading a novel after serveral chapters?

There aren't really any 'novel allergies' I have. When I stop reading, it's usually because I've slowly lost interest. But in the spirit of the thread, I'll contribute one pet peeve that makes me lose interest lightning fast.

Scenic Travel Chapters.
Sometimes a story needs a calm chapter, be it before or after a storm. The heroes must recuperate and have things to work through. Getting from one place to another is a reasonable downtime. These aren't scenic travel chapters. No, it's when absolutely nothing happens. It's when characters don't deepen their bonds, nothing is learned, no plot is advanced, there's no humor or character development - but I get served yet another description of some obscure plant or animal that shall henceforth never again be mentioned and the characters don't even acknowledge it. In short: It's about as fun as a shopping list.

/edit:
Quote:4. A strong male or female lead that somehow turns into a hysterical teenager halfway through the novel.  The once intelligent character you were starting to like, turns into someone you want to slap the crap out of.

Okay, that's a good point on second thought. I absolutely hate it when characters act stupid, simply to advance the plot. It's okay if they have their own weakness but when they start intelligent and then do one dumb thing after another without any believable reason to do so? Yeah, okay, I'm out of this story.

I usually decide if I'm going to read something within the first few paragraphs. I guess this is a combination of grammar, dialogue, pacing, flow and the hook. If I get past there, I need characters with at least some depth who act on their motivations. Always annoys me when you've got characters doing random things just because the author wants them to, or when female characters are only there to boost the MC ego.

True. A closed minded approach that beats you over the head with their personal opinions, can be a total turn off. Especially when they rely on stereotypes, all rich people are evil, all poor people are dumb, all religions people are corrupt, etc. etc.  Any large group will have both good and bad people, in my opinion.  So novels where everyone has to fit in their little box, and nobody dares stray, are flat and bland to me.

- Harems, reader-interactive, yaoi, gender-bender
- Coherence in a story
- Preaching
Harems: 
                              There must me a level in Hell to punish 99% of the people who write this sh***
                              Reader-Interactive:
                              The way to prostitute a story for the stars, Indecisive or Unscrupulous writers, sick readers. They got beaten from the one above 
                              only because you can find much more of that trash
Yaoi:                       Won't be taken by the dark side, not even by mistake. So skip them i should.
Gender-Bender:   I remember reading some good ones i think. But they just changed roles or/and clothes. No actual trasmigration or body change. 
                               The slippery slope has  to start somewhere.
Coherence:  Characters have to abide to the Implicit/Explicit laws of the world created. Logic or the long forgotten art of Making Sense.
Preaching:   I'm talking to you chinese and korean writers, and the ones that make use of mostly descriptive style. 
                      No!! I'm not going to take your statements at face value.

Unrealistic romantic development pacing.
"Okay, we started our romance, let us not talk or develop anymore for months even though we talk everyday"
"Okay, we kissed, let us not develop our romance any further because 'hur, we gotta concentrate on the fight even though this amount of sexual tension is making us go crazy', let us develop precisely at the next chapter after the big, bad guy is dead"
So predictable, so boring, so unrealistic. So called "mature" characters act like blushing teenagers in face of love and completely lose any sort of composure and simply let their unfinished business stagnate for the sake of creating tension.

THAT'S NOT HOW RELATIONSHIPS WORK.

It's a plague coming from anime, people do not have healthy relationships in their lives, all their knowledge comes from media and media dramaticizes everything because having neat and pragmatic characters is "boring" so new writers base their relationships on what they see from media. Now every relationship is an anxiety-inducing mess because the writer just have to make things more tense by making the lovers stupid or have an aversion to talking their issues to each other.

I pity the young ones who think this is how relationships are in real life.

Romantic development blue-balling
"I'm ready, today is the day I confess my love to him/her"
But WAIT, bullshit explodes around us, the MC is not allowed to finish his confession. Then they wait until this new bad thing is over before they go back.
Or worse
"I'm such a wuss/limp-dick/pussy/coward/pathetic/meek/shy person I simply cannot finish and just run away before I get the words out or the response."
I get anxiety whenever a character is about to confess his love because of this, I have seen too much misunderstandings in trash anime and now I'm traumatized.

Wrote: 1. The recent (last 10 years or so) emasculated/ whiney/ emo MC. I swear some of these guys would need half an hour to decide what to have for lunch! 

5. And probably the worst one lately, the MC life is such a total disaster ANYBODY else would have offed themselves years ago. 
Daniel Schinhofen did a great job, with his character being tormented and broken. Most will agree that puddles4263 has done very well with Randidly's stubbornness and trust issues.  However, some of the stuff I have come a crossed recently is just so depressing. It does not feel like the MC is overcoming something. It just feels like the MC is to stupid to die.

I feel like there's some fetish about these two, not that that is wrong, I don't kink shame but peple should just admit they have some sort of sadism or masochism fetish going on about these character's suffering. Sometimes it feels like it's too much.

Landi Wrote: Harems: There must me a level in Hell to punish 99% of the people who write this sh***

What do you have against it, specifically?

Quote:Unrealistic romantic development pacing.
"Okay, we started our romance, let us not talk or develop anymore for months even though we talk everyday"
"Okay, we kissed, let us not develop our romance any further because 'hur, we gotta concentrate on the fight even though this amount of sexual tension is making us go crazy', let us develop precisely at the next chapter after the big, bad guy is dead"
So predictable, so boring, so unrealistic. So called "mature" characters act like blushing teenagers in face of love and completely lose any sort of composure and simply let their unfinished business stagnate for the sake of creating tension.

THAT'S NOT HOW RELATIONSHIPS WORK.

So totally true. While not all relationships are the same; most real relationships actually do go from meeting the girl to dating the girl in less than 2 weeks, and often in less than that. If there is a spark, then there is a spark. 

SackOfSnails Wrote: Realizing that it was written by a person who interprets a world solely through the glass of his own experiences.

Emphasis on the "his," m i rite 

The big one that will make me stop any story, no matter how good (though it is worth mentioning that I have NEVER encountered a web story that did this and wasn't terrible), is graphic depictions of sexual assault. It's disgusting and depraved. At BEST, it's done for cheap shock value, degrading the target character for, basically, the effect of making the readers upset, or sometimes done to make a separate character angry (which is the absolute worst thing ever). At worst, it's downright fetishistic, like it's supposed to be titillating and readers are supposed to enjoy reading it.

You can't defend it without being disingenuous. And I'll extend it to say that, if you graphically depict a sexual assault scene in any fiction, even if you're William Faulkner, it's going to be very difficult to enjoy the work for me.

Manasong Wrote: Unrealistic romantic development pacing.
Landi Wrote: Harems: There must me a level in Hell to punish 99% of the people who write this sh***

What do you have against it, specifically?

The same reason you do actually. Most of those capable of writing them have a target in mind, so they twist the story to appeal to their audience. It ends up becoming unrealistic. Mind me only on the sentimental level, and how they relate to the mc.  
Then you have copy cats or whatever they call themselves. They do not know how this genre came to be, growing with the stereotyped part of the genre and finding it normal. They end up writing interesting concepts but still keeping to the "boundaries" and standards of harem. 

Because why not? Someone before you already did the work of lobotomizing the readers of such a genre, you just have to pick up from where thy left, and reap the benefits. You can skim on why a character is interested or did develop feelings for the mc. How those feelings conflict with having to share the mc, the inner struggle, and the relationship between harem members. Let alone the fact that the totality of the cultures such stories are set in are monogamous. 

An exception to this are chinese harems. Because in their societies and world building harems have a role to perform, and that is to suck up for any sort of benefit. 

So don't judge me too harshly for coming up to hate a genre where the mc collects harem members, like a cow collecting flowers, without intending to. 
And pardon my suspense of disbelief when those same harem members, who fell in love "just because", love him even more seeing him continue adding. 
As if it was some sort of reserved club. Can't wrap my mind around, on why someone would genuinely pursue someone else knowing they would just become part of the flock.

Don't get me started on the protagonist, who other than the looks and personality abundance needed to form an harem, has such a big heart that overflows with "equal" love for multiple women, has the stamina in pleasing them all(my guess), and time management skills to make each one feel important (other than the one he uses to pursue is objectives). Now obviously he has money? Right? We wouldn't him to be a burden on social welfare?!

Scum of the earth MC that is not the villain, like a MC that feels rape is okay {happens in a few Chinese novels not too often here }

Also I hate it when side characters get killed off then revived for no good reason.

What really gets my goat though is when Fan Fiction authors neglect setting the scene as they assume all their readers will have read that manga / watched that anime / played that fucking game.

Wrote: Scum of the earth MC that is not the villain, like a MC that feels rape is okay {happens in a few Chinese novels not too often here }

I feel that so much. I hate the hypocrisy where the MC is upset that a bad-guy is doing exactly what the MC is guilty of doing. There's a lot of ways to be scum that tend to drop me right out of my immersion, too. 

• the MC rapes or sexually assaults people, but the author acts like this isn't horrific

• (not)rape, but 'aphrodisiacs' instead! bonus points if they get raped into becoming a love interest somehow

• brainwashing - both the magical/grooming kinds (happens a lot in female MC chinese novels, so many perverts who groomed the MC to be their wife. yuck). take one character, destroy them, then make them into a totally new character... bonus if the MC thinks they deserved it

• MC is a bully, liar and a thief, but is treated like a saint

Basically any MC that acts like your typical young-master turdfiend or cartoon villain, but I'm expected to think they are the good guy because the author says so? In general, I'm not a fan of rape, brainwashing and blackmail, but when the author tries to pretend it's somehow OK when the MC does it? NOPE! They are such cheap, shitty plot devices, anyway. Anyway, there are a lot of other tropes I'm mildly inconvenienced over, so I'll throw them out here, too.

• MC is a spineless idiot who literally can't say no, and the story reads more like an MMO quest log due to lack of agency

• lets the bad guy go because "then I'll be as bad as they are!" etc

• spelling and grammatical errors even MS Word can fix

• pointless onomatopoeia (as well as the the Japanese *WAH!*, *unnn!* and *BAKA!* etc)

• meet person, they instantly become love interest/harem member because ???

• PROLOGUE/SYNOPSIS CONTAINS SPOILERS! 

• Regular, improper use of punctuation, especially quotations marks " "

• lack of internal consistency or logic, eg. MC is leading edge pioneer 100% superboss, but random fodder somehow keep up with them etc

Maybe I'm just over JP/CN LNs.

veted Wrote:
Wrote: Scum of the earth MC that is not the villain, like a MC that feels rape is okay {happens in a few Chinese novels not too often here }

I feel that so much. I hate the hypocrisy where the MC is upset that a bad-guy is doing exactly what the MC is guilty of doing. There's a lot of ways to be scum that tend to drop me right out of my immersion, too. 

• the MC rapes or sexually assaults people, but the author acts like this isn't horrific

• (not)rape, but 'aphrodisiacs' instead! bonus points if they get raped into becoming a love interest somehow

• brainwashing - both the magical/grooming kinds (happens a lot in female MC chinese novels, so many perverts who groomed the MC to be their wife. yuck). take one character, destroy them, then make them into a totally new character... bonus if the MC thinks they deserved it

• MC is a bully, liar and a thief, but is treated like a saint

Yeah this stuff is pretty disgusting. It's even tougher when you read something like this and then you think, "holy crap, the author seems to actually be endorsing sexual assault." I have a zero tolerance policy with that kind of stuff, and I wish all readers would do the same.

I’ll some up what might cause me to drop stuff:

Disinterest.
Being bored with where the story is going. Usually when the plot is basically filler or about stuff I don’t care about.

Exhaustion.
Getting tired with where the story is going. Stuff like too much action all at once or too many cliff hangers and derailing of the plot.

Repulsion.
Getting appalled at where the story is going. Have some decency, evil characters require their own form if suspension of disbelief, and such stories don’t work without a heavy dose of it.