Re: Litrpg tag definition

Some of my readers asked why my story had the litrpg tag and that made me question the definition of litrpg. Litrpg, to me, meant a story with rpg-like features or setting. I played a lot of table-top rpgs and I take many inspirations from them when I write.

In my story there are things akin to lvling-up, adventurer’s guild, magic items, etc. But I put all that under the hood, to make the world feel more real and believable. The characters will never say “great, I gained a lvl!” straight up. They will go through a process that will make sense to the story, get stronger and that’s that. No stat distribution or anything of the sort.

Do you actually need well explained systems, actual lvl-ups, weapons with dps number on them and more of game-like feel to be a litrpg?

To your first question, LitRPG is defined as a story with a game system, At least that is what I experience in RRL( excuse me, RR). 

And since you have to incorporate all forms of readers, then yeah, you have to be blunt about it. 

You don't need to show the blue screen, but you do have to inform us that the MC is seeing that weird screen near his face and showing his character stats. Well, at least some form of info in it.

I don't know about your position in that silly Dragonlance argument, but here in Royalroad, readers already have a particular take on the LitRPG genre, and that is what most litrpg writers follow.

So to clarify, game system means Skill information, stats information etc and it needs to be mention almost often for the sake of knowing the protagonist's progression?

Is it still litrpg if it's partial  game system? Or is it depends what been used for the story? Such as story only shown skill info and quest info, but no Status info. Or a story have status info for protagonist's progression, but shown no Skills info / magic info.

If it's a yes / Depends for using partial game system in litrpg:
What's requires the story to be Litrpg if the Author decided to use partial game system?
If the Author did met most of the requirement for it being litrpg but failed to use the important ones, is it still part of litrpg or not or depends? Such as Stats info. (Excluding Status info) Or used every part of the game system but never show status sheet for protagonist, due to reasons (or undecided).

Something minor:
Does it still count as litrpg, if the characters does not mention they leveled up, but shown on their status info / Progression sheet made by Author that kept copy and pasting while updating their status info?

A story is a LitRPG genre if the characters are seeing some sort of magical screen in front of them (It doesn't even need to be blue). 

Now it is up to you, as the author, what you want to put on that screen.  You can choose to make each of your chapter filled with popup screen with all manner of details that show the improvement of your character ala Aleron Kong-style, or you can just mention that your character can see the screen, but don't need to elaborate or even show it.

Ex: 

-Bob received new popup screen but dismissed them as soon as they came out since he already knows what it will tell him.  

-Jack studied his screen and smiled with satisfaction. He'd updated his stats so he can get the assassin class in the future, and he is now halfway there.

-Ric received multiple red screens from the monster's last attack, warning him that he is in a dire situation.

batotit Wrote: A story is a LitRPG genre if the characters are seeing some sort of magical screen in front of them (It doesn't even need to be blue). 

Now it is up to you, as the author, what you want to put on that screen.  You can choose to make each of your chapter filled with popup screen with all manner of details that show the improvement of your character ala Aleron Kong-style, or you can just mention that your character can see the screen, but don't need to elaborate or even show it.

Ex: 

-Bob received new popup screen but dismissed them as soon as they came out since he already knows what it will tell him.  

-Jack studied his screen and smiled with satisfaction. He'd updated his stats so he can get the assassin class in the future, and he is now halfway there.

-Ric received multiple red screens from the monster's last attack, warning him that he is in a dire situation.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.