Re: The Huddlers ( Dedicated Thread for newbie authors. )

SRWeaver Wrote: For those working on a work in progress, I might recommend not joining a writing group just yet. At least until you've finished the first 20,000 words. There are some people that want tn encourage you to either stop writing, or stop that particular story at that particular point.

A story will gravitate toward the natural link it was meant to be, not based on some abrutrary word count set forth by "Agents United" or some other people that have ties toward the trade publication industry.

What I've learned is it doesn't really pay to post unfinished works in progress on places.

Huh?  Does this mean that you had bad experiences with this group?  I hadn’t planned on joining, but it has a prominant position in this forum for a group that might somehow discourage writing.  Or is it one of those unhealthy groups that tries to dictate exactly what writing should be.  I’ve run into a few of those and usually they are run by narcissists with delusions.

obran Wrote:
SRWeaver Wrote: For those working on a work in progress, I might recommend not joining a writing group just yet. At least until you've finished the first 20,000 words. There are some people that want tn encourage you to either stop writing, or stop that particular story at that particular point.

A story will gravitate toward the natural link it was meant to be, not based on some abrutrary word count set forth by "Agents United" or some other people that have ties toward the trade publication industry.

What I've learned is it doesn't really pay to post unfinished works in progress on places.

Huh?  Does this mean that you had bad experiences with this group?  I hadn’t planned on joining, but it has a prominant position in this forum for a group that might somehow discourage writing.  Or is it one of those unhealthy groups that tries to dictate exactly what writing should be.  I’ve run into a few of those and usually they are run by narcissists with delusions.

I have no idea which group did SRWeaver  mean, but I don't think our group is something like that. In our discord, we usually help each other in times of trouble. When I have a problem with my story, I ask them for their opinion and ideas. There are even some critics in our group who are willing to read your novels and give you their opinion and point out where you should improve.

When someone wants to start a new story, we even help him to brainstorm and improve his plots if he wants a hand. So, at this point, I can't see how can we discourage anyone from writing their stories.

Wrote:
obran Wrote:

Huh?  Does this mean that you had bad experiences with this group?  I hadn’t planned on joining, but it has a prominant position in this forum for a group that might somehow discourage writing.  Or is it one of those unhealthy groups that tries to dictate exactly what writing should be.  I’ve run into a few of those and usually they are run by narcissists with delusions.

I have no idea which group did SRWeaver  mean, but I don't think our group is something like that. In our discord, we usually help each other in times of trouble. When I have a problem with my story, I ask them for their opinion and ideas. There are even some critics in our group who are willing to read your novels and give you their opinion and point out where you should improve.

When someone wants to start a new story, we even help him to brainstorm and improve his plots if he wants a hand. So, at this point, I can't see how can we discourage anyone from writing their stories.

I agree with big seal. Ive had help multiple times with issues in my writing that you can actually see in my writing. Plus, diversity is never an issue in this group. Just look at my work then big seals. Though we tend to write about fantasy, our actual writing couldnt be more different.

I also don't understand. I've kept strict but fair rules, never discouraged anyone, and we keep an open mind about other others and their respective genres. 

So far as i know, any and all members of the Huddlers have been nothing but kind and helpful towards others, even truthfully harsh when it was needed. But never bullying or forcing their opinions on other people. I pride the Discord as a fair, relaxed and enjoyable place to hang out, chat, receive ideas and swap stories. 

Maybe SR didn't mean this one? So far as i know, her time within the Discord, before leaving by herself, was mostly quiet, though i do remember on convo about wording between her and another author spanned quite a while. 

Dunno whats going on. 

BladedPen Wrote: This sounds like a great group. Published a completed book about a month ago and would love to expand readership. Hard Scifi and Fantasy based on Christian mythos. Got a lot of good feedback so far. 

Second book prologue is finished. I'll start releases soon. Books are in Sig.

thanks, i'll get you and the other new authors officially added to the list once a bit of a lineup had formed. 

BladedPen Wrote: This sounds like a great group. Published a completed book about a month ago and would love to expand readership. Hard Scifi and Fantasy based on Christian mythos. Got a lot of good feedback so far. 

Second book prologue is finished. I'll start releases soon. Books are in Sig.

Welcome to the Huddlers! :)
Personally, I'm not one for hard scifi, but I'm sure someone here might know more than me and be interested.

Also, great username.

7midnight Wrote: Hi, I'm a newbie and would like to join this group. Though, I only ever dare to write fanfiction and only have a chapter for my original fiction. Hope I'm still allowed to join...

Name : 7midnight https://www.royalroad.com/profile/102898

Fictions

1. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21765

2. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21969

Welcome to the huddlers!! 
Anyone is welcome here.

Wrote: I do not know if it is a correct place to introduce myself, but I just started to editing&posting my story here. It is a bit of a fusion fantasy xianxia with anachronisms, a love letter to my favorite videogames, Jade Empire & Dynasty Warriors 8 (don't judge). It is the first novel I wrote, and I am poking around with the second book. 

(Waves)

welcome to the huddlers, come an join us at Discord.

MrZombie Wrote:
Wrote: I do not know if it is a correct place to introduce myself, but I just started to editing&posting my story here. It is a bit of a fusion fantasy xianxia with anachronisms, a love letter to my favorite videogames, Jade Empire & Dynasty Warriors 8 (don't judge). It is the first novel I wrote, and I am poking around with the second book. 

(Waves)

welcome to the huddlers, come an join us at Discord.

Thank you! I don’t really have Discord, I was just wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for starting up on here. :) 

Wrote: Oh, that’s okay, I am in no hurry. Was just wondering if it is better to number the chapters as they released or keep them just as titles, and which hour window gives the better chance to be seen? So far I am scheduling a chapter a day at different hour to see if anyone reads it.

Number them is better, as for my taste because it looks cleaner and organizes.

As far as scheduling, different hours are better to give more exposure to your story since RRL has a worldwide audience.