Re: Greetings from the Ethereal Abyss Adventurers!

Ah, None of my post showed up? Darn!

Well I just wanted to say hello and that I am a long time lurker on this site and have even been inspired to write from my readings here. I hope you all will accept me whether I share my work or not. I just want to feel that sense of community that everyone is always on about, haha!

I'll be around on the forums and even helping others like me if they want, to get a jump start on their own novels. I have free time to post here as I work from home (telemarketing). Can't get into that place for writing my book while working so the magic happens in the morning, but I sure can communicate and share ideas with others! 

Luciferia Wrote: Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay. Very Happy

Thank you! It's funny that you responded here, as I am a huge fan of Deck of Souls since I've started reading it a few days back! I love how well thought out and put together your writing is! Not good at reviews, but it is definitely an inspiration for me to up my game. What made you decide to start releasing it onto RoyalRoad? Did you finish writing it first, or do you work on it as you go? 

nasir05 Wrote: i was mytified by this thread when i saw it yesterday but didn't want to emberass mysefl in case it was a joke i wasn't in on.  good to have that cleared up.
Welcome my friend To RRL i hope you have a good time here and enjoy your stay. you have a great attitude so i am sure you will be like  a fish in the water in no time.

Thank you for that confidence! It's sink or swim from here on out!

AwakenedMind Wrote: Thank you! It's funny that you responded here, as I am a huge fan of Deck of Souls since I've started reading it a few days back! I love how well thought out and put together your writing is! Not good at reviews, but it is definitely an inspiration for me to up my game.

Oh! Thank you! That makes my day. Very Happy I'm glad you're enjoying DoS!

AwakenedMind Wrote: What made you decide to start releasing it onto RoyalRoad?

RR is sort of like a bouncing board/crowdsourced beta feedback for me. I like how authors can improve their craft and build an audience at the same time here. There's some Patreon crossover too, which is nice.

I also enjoy being able to interact with readers. RR and my Discord server both let me do that easier than more traditional approaches to fiction writing would.

AwakenedMind Wrote: Did you finish writing it first, or do you work on it as you go?

I typically work as I go. For DoS, I wrote 25 chapters before I started posting here. That allows me to be a release ahead on Patreon but still have a comfortable buffer in case I get sick, power goes out for an extended period of time, etc. We're already at the time of year where there's daily thunderstorms where I live, and in a few months I'll have to deal with the possibility of hurricanes. So, I like to have a pool of chapters I can fall back on in the event I can't write for some reason.

That said, my other project (OAU) doesn't have a buffer whatsoever. It used to, but there was a bug in the scheduling system that posted all the chapters I had saved up at once. While that's fixed now, I didn't feel write about deleting all the early-posted chapters. So, I've been keeping a crazy writing schedule for over a year to keep up with releases for that series. lol

Luciferia Wrote:
AwakenedMind Wrote: Thank you! It's funny that you responded here, as I am a huge fan of Deck of Souls since I've started reading it a few days back! I love how well thought out and put together your writing is! Not good at reviews, but it is definitely an inspiration for me to up my game.

Oh! Thank you! That makes my day. Very Happy I'm glad you're enjoying DoS!

AwakenedMind Wrote: What made you decide to start releasing it onto RoyalRoad?

RR is sort of like a bouncing board/crowdsourced beta feedback for me. I like how authors can improve their craft and build an audience at the same time here. There's some Patreon crossover too, which is nice.

I also enjoy being able to interact with readers. RR and my Discord server both let me do that easier than more traditional approaches to fiction writing would.

AwakenedMind Wrote: Did you finish writing it first, or do you work on it as you go?

I typically work as I go. For DoS, I wrote 25 chapters before I started posting here. That allows me to be a release ahead on Patreon but still have a comfortable buffer in case I get sick, power goes out for an extended period of time, etc. We're already at the time of year where there's daily thunderstorms where I live, and in a few months I'll have to deal with the possibility of hurricanes. So, I like to have a pool of chapters I can fall back on in the event I can't write for some reason.

That said, my other project (OAU) doesn't have a buffer whatsoever. It used to, but there was a bug in the scheduling system that posted all the chapters I had saved up at once. While that's fixed now, I didn't feel write about deleting all the early-posted chapters. So, I've been keeping a crazy writing schedule for over a year to keep up with releases for that series. lol

2 projects at once!  <3 I thought I was the only one, haha!

Thank you for answering my question so seriously, not a word written by you can escape the dry sponge that is my brain. I'm here to learn. I still haven't grasped the concept of people being able to write for a living. Its always been a dream of mine and with my wife's involvement I just started taking the first baby steps into this wonderful world.

I think my first book has the chapters needed, but I'm afraid to release it currently... So I've started a new one from scratch to test waters here. Going by your model that means I have 23 chapters to go. Gotcha!

How long have you been writing? I love your style

AwakenedMind Wrote: 2 projects at once!  <3 I thought I was the only one, haha!

It's tough, but my DoS MC's wouldn't shut up. So, I had to start writing it. lol

AwakenedMind Wrote: Thank you for answering my question so seriously, not a word written by you can escape the dry sponge that is my brain. I'm here to learn. I still haven't grasped the concept of people being able to write for a living. Its always been a dream of mine and with my wife's involvement I just started taking the first baby steps into this wonderful world.

Feel free to message me here or on Discord (I link my server at the bottom of chapters) if you ever want to pick my brain about writing, or the brains of the other writers in the channel. :)

Well, Amazon certainly likes to make it difficult to reach that point (specifically the Kindle Unlimited program.) Patreon and releasing books wide can help a lot with that. Aside from that, it's a mix of effort, investment, and luck.

AwakenedMind Wrote: I think my first book has the chapters needed, but I'm afraid to release it currently... So I've started a new one from scratch to test waters here. Going by your model that means I have 23 chapters to go. Gotcha!

It somewhat depends on how long your chapters are. I try to release at least 2-3k words when I post a chapter, which is why some of my releases are double chapters. For DoS, 25 chapters is around 75k words. For OAU's first few books, that's more like 100-150k. lol

AwakenedMind Wrote: How long have you been writing? I love your style

I've been writing off and on since 2002, and more seriously since mid-2015. Glad you like my style! :)

Luciferia Wrote: It's tough, but my DoS MC's wouldn't shut up. So, I had to start writing it. lol

Ah, I know that feeling! Some times you just wake up with tons of dialogue and plot development happening on a certain character that you have to go back to no matter which project you're working on. It's definitely enjoyable that way!

Luciferia Wrote: Feel free to message me here or on Discord (I link my server at the bottom of chapters) if you ever want to pick my brain about writing, or the brains of the other writers in the channel. :)

Ill check out that discord, but I'm not to savvy with it still, I have an account I used for gaming (Black Desert Online which I wrote about Here) casually though, so we'll be in contact!

Luciferia Wrote: It somewhat depends on how long your chapters are. I try to release at least 2-3k words when I post a chapter, which is why some of my releases are double chapters. For DoS, 25 chapters is around 75k words. For OAU's first few books, that's more like 100-150k. lol

Ah, My book is somewhere in the middle. I checked out your other fictions last night and were looking at the huge difference in chapter length as it grew between each next of your 6 book series. Intimidating to say the least to a beginner like me! Haha! Yet I am thoroughly more determined after seeing it, I suppose the hardest part for me is finding the resources or guidelines for eloquence in my words. I've worked in Sales for the past 10 years and it definitely effects that aspect.

AwakenedMind Wrote: Yet I am thoroughly more determined after seeing it, I suppose the hardest part for me is finding the resources or guidelines for eloquence in my words. I've worked in Sales for the past 10 years and it definitely effects that aspect.

A lot of that comes down to reading more books, generous use of a thesaurus, and practice. There's a lot of writing "rules" out there, many of which are misquoted, so my recommendation to new authors is simply to read and write as much as you can. Fine-tuning and editing can come after a draft is completed. Many of the writing rules (well, guidelines) can be broken--but have to be done in a specific way or with appropriate knowledge.

All of which comes back to reading, researching, and writing. Of course, being open to feedback helps a lot too...as long as you learn to tell what is uninformed advice and what isn't. Everyone is an expert on the internet. Tongue

That said, these are all good places to start (I also have them pinned in my Discord server for convenience);

Writing Resources

Brandon Sanderson

Lists

Luciferia Wrote:
AwakenedMind Wrote: Yet I am thoroughly more determined after seeing it, I suppose the hardest part for me is finding the resources or guidelines for eloquence in my words. I've worked in Sales for the past 10 years and it definitely effects that aspect.

A lot of that comes down to reading more books, generous use of a thesaurus, and practice. There's a lot of writing "rules" out there, many of which are misquoted, so my recommendation to new authors is simply to read and write as much as you can. Fine-tuning and editing can come after a draft is completed. Many of the writing rules (well, guidelines) can be broken--but have to be done in a specific way or with appropriate knowledge.

All of which comes back to reading, researching, and writing. Of course, being open to feedback helps a lot too...as long as you learn to tell what is uninformed advice and what isn't. Everyone is an expert on the internet. Tongue

That said, these are all good places to start (I also have them pinned in my Discord server for convenience);

Writing Resources

Brandon Sanderson

Lists

Woah! Thank you for the direction! I'll find your discord right away as well. Listening to the lecture as we speak (Motivated!)
New Reply