Yahoo Messenger: 30 March 2001 10:25 PM
Subject: thousands of engineers still on the bench in the US
julietscity: Did you know that when professionals apply for a job with a different experience ... hirers are always wondering why?
romeobanglore: if the company finds me good, they will make an offer, if I find the offer good, I accept it...that's the way it works
romeobanglore: it helps you to broaden your base of knowledge
julietscity: Companies always want to know what ideas you have ... when your first interview with them ... the supervisor will ask you the same question... your original job qualifications are good, why do you want to switch to a new industry this time?
romeobanglore: so maybe after 2 years I can decide which way I want to go
julietscity: The company knows you have a good qualification in the telecommunications field ... they don't know that you will work well in the consumer electronics field
romeobanglore: I'll say I am in the formative stages of my career and I got interested in your field of work
julietscity: They want to know your ambitions for the company
romeobanglore: I feel I can contribute to your work with my expertise
julietscity: Interest is not a good reason ... for the company
romeobanglore: I will say I have friends working in that field and they are satisfied and I also consider the field promising to me
julietscity: Grow with the company?????
julietscity: Prisha also works in that new field?
romeobanglore: interested is all I can say since I am in the starting stage of my career
romeobanglore: no...my classmates are there
julietscity: in Philips?
julietscity: Does Vicas work for Philips?
romeobanglore: so that's all?
julietscity: Today is Friday
julietscity: hmm...that's all... We can't discuss too much ... nothing has been decided yet
julietscity: Do you have to go back to work? right now?
romeobanglore: yes, if you don't have anything more to say
julietscity: If I stay here ... Am I disturbing you now?
romeobanglore: you want to talk?
julietscity: NO... Nothing special ... It's not the time ... Do you have something to say?
romeobanglore: if you want to stay here, it's ok...I can also be here
romeobanglore: but what do we talk about?
julietscity: ok...go and prepare for your presentation
romeobanglore: you sure?
julietscity: c u later
romeobanglore: ok then
romeobanglore: c u
julietscity: are you there?
julietscity: are you online now
julietscity: are you coming back?
Yahoo! Messenger: romeobanglore has logged back in. (2001/3/30 at PM 09:55)
julietscity: How about a cricket match?
julietscity: How is your presentation prepared?
romeobanglore: it's not today...next week
julietscity: yes...but tomorrow is a holiday...you may not have time to prepare
romeobanglore: I will come here...tomorrow the consultant might arrange an interview
julietscity: which consultant?
julietscity: from Philips?
julietscity: sorry...telephonic? ok
julietscity: from the US
romeobanglore: yes, telephonic
julietscity: when did you know about it?
romeobanglore: today...I have to talk with him tonight 10:30
romeobanglore: he will call me at 10:30
julietscity: your 10:30...
romeobanglore: I don't know whether it is from the US, but it is for a US opportunity
romeobanglore: I will not accept the offer so fast
romeobanglore: because the situation in the US is still very bad
julietscity: why does the consultant call you for an interview? The interview should be an American company
romeobanglore: if they take me today and dismiss me after 3 months, then it is a problem
romeobanglore: yes, my 10:30
romeobanglore: it's not from the US, the consultant is in India
julietscity: but why is there another interview tomorrow?
romeobanglore: there should be some preliminary interview
romeobanglore: tonight 10:30 I have to talk with the consultant to get more details
julietscity: You have talked to different Indian consultants many times
romeobanglore: no...this is a different consultant
romeobanglore: Tomorrow may be a telephone interview from the US... Maybe tomorrow or Sunday ... that's what he told me
julietscity: OK...but still not that clear
julietscity: Tomorrow's interview should come from the company
romeobanglore: not clear to me also
romeobanglore: I'll see after talking to him today
romeobanglore: anyway, I am not much interested in this...if I get the Philips offer, I will take it
romeobanglore: I don't know
julietscity: but... If the interview comes from an American company and is sure to hire you ... why are you not interested in it?
romeobanglore: because who knows? they might fire me after 3 months
julietscity: You will sign a contract with the US if you go there and they will not fire you within 3 months
julietscity: so... when should I talk to you online after the interview this weekend?
romeobanglore: I will send a mail
julietscity: at least...now we have some news from the US
romeobanglore: but don't expect much from this
julietscity: after a long wait ...
romeobanglore: nowadays, all companies are firing people...they cancel the contract
julietscity: Every contact gives us a chance ... no contact means no opportunity
romeobanglore: but the US opportunity still scares me
romeobanglore: what will happen if I accept it?
julietscity: Ok... It's not just this that the US scares me...
romeobanglore: maybe after a few weeks, I will also become jobless
romeobanglore: there are thousands of engineers still on the bench in the US
julietscity: why don't you find another consultant to find a job in Europe soon?
julietscity: Since you don't believe in the US ... then give it up ... don't waste time
romeobanglore: yes...let's see
romeobanglore: They told me it would again take 3-4 months
romeobanglore: no...if the offer is really good, then maybe we can accept it
romeobanglore: we have to keep all the doors open
julietscity: you said if the offer is really good...then, accept it...but, you said they will fire you after 3 months
julietscity: Then... If that's the case ... why do we have to open the door to the US?
romeobanglore: I didn't say they WILL, I said, they might
romeobanglore: I have to make sure of it before accepting
julietscity: Still possible...
romeobanglore: all doors...the decision is up to us
romeobanglore: hey, I need to leave now...I have to go with Jayesh to the airport, one of his friends is coming
romeobanglore: hmmm...I will ask about it
julietscity: but... If there are still so many Indian software engineers waiting for a vacancy in the US
julietscity: You have no chance or no new life there...
romeobanglore: I know...let us see
julietscity: ok...bye tonight
julietscity: c u tomorrow
romeobanglore: first, we need to have an offer in hand.
romeobanglore: then we can decide
julietscity: what I mean is...
romeobanglore: I know
romeobanglore: bye for now
julietscity: If the situation in the US is so bad ... why go there?
romeobanglore: I explained it earlier
romeobanglore:bye...c u tomorrow