Salad Forks and Other Things
- with a nod to the masters of space opera: J. Michael Straczynski, Larry Niven, David Brin, E.E. (Doc) Smith, Iain M. Banks, and, of course, George Lucas.
My thanks. And my apologies.
“Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others.
If you have that awareness, you have good manners,
no matter which fork you use.”
- Emily Post, author and founder of the Emily Post Institute,
late 20th Century Earth
“Good manners can replace morals. It may be years before anyone knows if what you are doing is right. But if what you are doing is nice, it will be immediately evident.”
- P.J. O’Rourke, journalist and writer, early 21st Century Earth
“Learn young about hard work and manners –
and you’ll be through the whole dirty mess
and nicely dead again before you know it.”
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, novelist and poet, 20th Century Earth
“Aliens, humans - labels hardly matter: at the heart of things, what one needs to know is that, beneath the exterior, we are all people, and we should treat each other as people, according to one’s traditions and culture. That’s what good manners are. If you have that, it’s easy to make friends, whether they be Human or Elyran, Dixx or Detterex, Arachnian or Erocii. All it takes is a laugh and a smile. The problem, of course, is to understand what a smile looks like for an Arachnian or a Dixx.”
- Dr. Alexandra Romarkin, Secretary-General of the New United Nations, 2310 Earth
- Washington DC
- Mistress of Confusion
Bobbi Cabot is a transgender girl in her thirties (35 y.o. as of 2016), who transitioned in 2005. She is known as "Roberta J. Cabot," "Bobbie-C," "Bobbie," "Bobbi" and "Bobbi-C" in the sites where she posts her stories.
Though not a professional writer, Bobbi is under the delusion that she writes passably well and indulges this delusion by sometimes posting stories, which is, thankfully, very seldom.
Bobbi's day job (the phrase "day job" is hereby stressed) involves being the big cheese of the overseas BPO practice of a Top 100 computer technology corporation.