It has been a while since the last time we made a feature-update blogpost but fear not, the site is only getting better. Some of the new features are hidden in plain sight, some are more obvious, but in this post the new features and fixes added since 30 July 2021 will be listed.
Others have also liked
The next addition to the recommendation features on Royal Road is the “Others have also liked” listing on fiction pages showing, well, fiction that readers of said fiction also liked. We hope that with this addition it is easier to find fictions that you will enjoy reading.
*Note that this feature is currently in beta so changes are being made.
Premium users have access to autosaving drafts while they are writing in order to avoid losing their progress. Under normal circumstances this works wonderfully, but in the case that multiple tabs of the same draft get opened it showed a problem. The problem here was that when opening multiple instances of the same draft it would save whatever is in the editor locally, without checking if any progress has been made on other tabs, causing for loss of written work when loading an older instance as the older version got saved over the progress made in the newer instance.
This is no more; now proper checks are in place to prevent saving over newer versions and losing work due to this.
New email template
We have introduced a new template for outgoing emails that makes them less buggy.
Clickable cover images
When on a fiction page it is now possible to click the cover to get a zoomed-in view of the artwork. Check it out.
Also, please note that covers uploaded a long time ago may not have the larger size stored, as a few years ago we've only stored the size shown on the desktop fiction page. This is not a bug.
You can now make proper tooltips that also work on mobile if you use the source mode editor (class="tooltip" title="your text") on any element. This is currently only available via the source mode editor, but in the future, we will be looking into making this part of the editor itself.
Fixed quotes in PM
The pre-filled reply on the PM page will now have the empty line after the quote, not inside the quote, to help people put their reply in the right spot. Hopefully.
Clean text paste
In the chapter editor there is now the option to do a clean-paste of any copied text. This will alter the formatting of copy-pasted text, and convert to use spacing-free paragraphs to match with that of Google Docs or Notepad. This should make it easier to copy-paste from sources without paragraph spacing.
New welcome page
There is a new and improved welcome page, check it out!
The fiction cover is now visible on the mobile fiction page
Not much to add. It’s there, believe me. (Or check it yourself)
Sepia theme now available
There is a new theme added in the theme selector dropdown. Next to light and dark theme there is now a sepia theme. Note that this theme only changes the colors when reading a chapter. Everywhere else it is based on the light theme. (Apologies to all the dark mode users)
As always there are also a bunch of bugfixes worth mentioning.
- The profile post list is no longer broken when the first poster deleted their account.
- Forum breadcrumbs are now correctly displaying the trail.
- Forum breadcrumbs are now in the correct order.
- Links on the author dashboard poll overview no longer lead to a 404.
- It is now possible to edit the block settings for a user. (Previously the currently selected options did not show)
- Comments by blocked users no longer show on the fiction page in the authors dashboard.
- Long URLs no longer stretch the page when on the profile page.
- Clicking the advanced search option now properly expands the advanced search filters as intended.
- Fixed the missed PayPal donation button icon.
- The forums now display the correct number of pages in a thread.
- Fixed an order of execution bug that made it possible to submit empty reviews.
- Fixed an error that would show when editing a profile page that had an empty bio.
- Fixed an HTML error in the bio that would cause HTML artifacts.
- The first post in a thread no longer has the “RE:” prepended to the title.
- Fixed an issue that would throw a warning on certain browsers when trying to leave a fiction page instead of only when there is a pending comment.
- User profiles no longer missing the icon for threads.
As always: bugs are mainly spotted due to reports by our users. If you notice a bug, please open a ticket about it so we are able to take a look and possibly fix it.