Some very quick mid-month patch notes since we've had a few mention-worthy updates since the last patch notes (which really hasn't been all that long ago)!
If you are one of those authors who just love getting grammatical and typo corrections from their readers, this one is for you! You can enable Reader Suggestions in the Settings -> Edit menu on the very bottom:
Once you enable this, readers can highlight any text in your fiction's chapters for quick corrections:
They can quickly type in their edits, which is then added to their comment box. This should make it a lot faster and straightforward to send corrections. The feature is on a toggle so if you don't care for it or find these corrections bothersome, you can simply leave it off or disable later on.
The credits for the original script go to Firebird, who provided us with the source code some time ago for improvement and site-wide implementation.
Disabling Rating Stats
One of our most requested feature for a while has been the ability to disable the ratings and rankings for your fictions so they stop staring at you. While these ranks are an important discoverability feature for authors, we understand that not everyone wants to obsess over them or might find their glaring presence on their dashboard distracting. So now you can disable them via the Settings -> Disable Rating Stats menu.
Disabling these stats will not disable ratings for your fiction - as doing so would have a huge number of further implications -, you simply won't see them.
In case you feel like you might be the type of person who obsesses too much, you can also lock this change for a certain period of time or even forever so you can't disable it even if you have the urge.
We have been frequently told that authors may want to remove certain reviews from their dashboard just so it stops annoying them - and while reviews are crucial as feedback to both readers and authors, we understand that authors might not always agree with the reviews' content and don't want to have the criticism staring them down every time they open their dashboard.
We've now added a button to the author dashboard to hide a review from the author - please, PLEASE keep in mind that this only hides the review from the author, other users will still see the review as usual.
The feature requires 2 clicks instead of 1 to avoid accidental clicks, and the toast notification contains an undo button - once the notification expires, the action is final.
Our goal with these changes is to help the mental health of authors with more utility features without degrading the usability of the website for readers.
Some additional, more minor changes:
- Added a reminder to the review form about being nice and sticking to the rules.
- Replaced the "first chapter in x hours" input during chapter import with a datetime picker
- Added a popup that appears after rating to encourage writing reviews instead of only leaving a rating.
Here are some more, albeit less note-worthy fixes:
- The author dashboard and fiction dashboard should now show the same number for your rank
- Chapter release lines are no longer missing from the pageviews page
- Removing fictions from your favorites no longer redirects you to the fiction page instead of the favorites page
- Accidental double-posting comments and forum posts should be a thing of the past
- The table editor now uses max-width instead of width, which means it can now be used with absolute values instead of percentages - it will only apply that width if it can fit on the page.
- Support ticket and achievement notifications are now marked as read when you click the notification
- Replying to a comment that you have a notification for will mark the notification as read
- The text color picker no longer has black and white options since these aren't respected anyway
- Fixed browser errors when editing chapters which happened when you tried adding links
- Fixed the bug where the occasional forum link took you to a page with no posts
- Forum subscriptions are updated correctly based on the dropdown when you post a new reply
- Fixed a bug where certain comment links linked to a non-existent comment page
- Fixed a bug where the last updated thread didn't update correctly in the forums