We have released a large number of bug fixes and improvements over the last couple months. We haven’t released any patch notes at the time, since development and release has been continuous and we didn’t want to release piece-meal patch notes every week.
The last two weeks, we have released even more changes than usual, so we felt it was time to write up what’s new and what’s fixed.
- We have added our customized emojis to the comment section
- You can now report users from their profile page
- You can now feature 16 achievements instead of 15 on the forums and fictions
- Comments can now be locked by authors and the staff, removing the ability to reply to the comment or any of its replies
- Chapters can now have their entire comment section locked - if you don’t want to get comments, you no longer have to have them
- When searching for fiction you can now specify multiple fiction statuses; this means you can now search for “Ongoing or Completed” at the same time
- The fiction search page now completely excludes stories you’ve marked as “Not Interested” unless you select the checkbox on the bottom of the advanced search form
- Reviewers that had their fiction reviews deleted by the staff for breaking a rule can now be blocked by staff members from reposting a new review.
- Hovering over the (?) of the page count on the fiction page and the fiction dashboard now displays the word count in the popup window.
- The amount of reputation a comment has received is now displayed on the comment
- The Contact Us page now has reminders that we have a very lovely support ticket system to be used for support requests.
- The V2 follows page has been reorganized! There is now an “Open Next Chapter” button if you aren’t up to date with a fiction. In addition, the notification and unfollow buttons have been hidden in a dropdown menu to clean the page up a bit This includes email subscription, unfollow and the premium only feature “push notification”. To make it easier to tell whether you have enabled notifications for a given fiction, the ellipsis button for the dropdown menu comes with a bell icon, which is crossed over if you don’t have any notification enabled for a fiction.
- You can now unsubscribe from notifications for your own comments - no more email flood of doom when a rowdy group of users start a 2000 message conversation in reply to your comment!
- [2020-04-28]: Adding this on the list since it'll be a while for the next changelog; now the fiction lists have a genre selection dropdown with the exception of the Trending list. And it also includes the Trending list.
- [Authors]: CTRL+S is now a shortcut for saving a draft or saving your edits to the current chapter. Note that this does reload the page.
- [Authors]: Giving reputation for a comment in your fiction now also marks the comment with a star
- [Authors]: Polls can now go on the bottom of the chapters
- [Author Premium]: You can now exclude deleted chapters from your Find and Replace results
- [Author Premium]: We have a new analytics backend; which will allow us to scale and improve more easily
- Upvotes and downvotes no longer refresh the page after changing the sort order
- Accounts created with Google+ or Facebook can now be deleted
- Deleting a review from your “My Reviews” page now correctly redirects you back to the page
- Support tickets now correctly send emails about new replies to the tickets
- Cancelling the deletion of a comment no longer leads to a 404 page
- USD currency displays correctly on the website where relevant instead of showing the ¤ symbol
- [Authors]: The scheduler's datetime picker now behaves correctly with the mouse wheel
- [Authors]: You can now schedule chapters on 15 minute intervals instead of every hour; this has been implemented for a while but the UI wasn't displaying it properly due to a bug
- [Achievement System]: There was a bug in the achievement system that caused users to receive experience several tiers above theirs, then no experience until they exceeded that tier. This has now been corrected, but this has resulted in many users seeing reduction in levels. The new levels is their originally intended number.
- [Achievement System]: Review Upvote achievements have been fixed and have been sent out to the users who qualified for them
- [Author Premium]: Case sensitivity during Replace operations is now properly respected
- [Advertising System]: Our internal advertising system where you can promote your books now accepts payments correctly
- Report reason is now mandatory when reporting content with the “Other” reason, or when reporting the content of a fiction from the fiction page (since we need you to be more specific when making these reports)
- The “scroll to top” button on mobile is now only activated when it is clicked twice to avoid accidental taps in the midst of reading that breaks reading immersions.
- There have been a number of backend changes that improved overall website performance and maintainability but resulted in temporary errors in some cases. These changes have been the reason for the few short downtimes over the last month.
The current global situation is affecting virtually every market; the advertising space is looking particularly dire. Over the past month we have seen a significant reduction in our ad revenue, which made us consider ways to mitigate the impact, such as sticky ads and enabling videos on non-chapter pages. However, we loathe these things as much as any of you.
In these times, our Premium subscribers are the reason we can keep working like before and afford to spend time improving the website. We have some new premium-only features in the works to thank you for sticking with us, more details on these will be revealed soon.
On top of that, we will reward every user who has an existing Premium subscription or subscribes until the 6th of June an exclusive achievement.
If you don’t have one already, our reader Premium subscription only costs $3/month (that’s less than a latte at your nearest Starbucks!), or $30/year for readers - and the one-year package can be purchased with a one-time payment without a subscription. It helps us keep the lights on and allows you to use Royal Road without any ads whatsoever.
If you want to support us more and enjoy more benefits in the process, the author premium is filled with features! From being able to customize your fiction page header, to having analytics and enhanced editing tools. All of it including our appreciation, can be yours for just $5 per month, or $50/year
So if you can, we would appreciate your support!